GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made two large purchases of of 6.5CM and 22LR ammo right at the start of the pandemic, all while reloading hundreds of rounds of 308, 30.06 & 38-Special. Not knowing how long the panic buying will last, I am hesitant to shoot anything that I cannot easily replace with a click of the button or a trip to the gun store(s).

I ordered another Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 a couple weeks ago from Buds Gun Shop... the process was as simple as any gun buying experience, but do to the panic buying going on my rifle sat in wait at the FFL for 7-days before I could take possession. Now California aside, there has never been a waiting period in Alabama. My FFL explained that panic buying is causing higher than normal sales volume, plus personnel shortages due to the Chinese Virus, has the ATF backed way up in the approval process... no worries though, as the crops are not out of the field yet, so I cannot shoot just yet.

9mm Gatling gun, sweetness.

i got to fire a Dillon gun a few different occasions. It spews brass and links so fast it is comical.
With Hollywood blanks inside a dark building it will change your religion.

M

Well about all I can do lately is buy a few magazines of two. I don't really think it's prudent to shoot for fun anymore, at least not until things change.

Pellet guns, bb guns, airsoft guns.

Have rifles and pistols. The air pistols match my real world items.

No bang but muscle memory and marksmanship still get exercised...in my suburban backyard.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, working from home, two daughters, being quarantined, two large dogs, trapped wife, etc... etc...
On my last trip to Academy Snorts I was shocked by the empty ammo shelves. It was the 2009 Presidential election all over again! Dang it!! My youngest daughter loves to shoot and I'm short on 9mm, .38 sp, .357 Mag and one never has enough .22 LR on hand.
GunBot is all but useless. Where are some dependable sources for affordable ammo these days? As soon as we have ammo in the bunker I have my eye on 9mm, .38 and .357 dies, bullets and powder.

On a side note.....
Does anyone have any experience neck sizing brass? I have a Remington XP-100 in 7mm BR, which I LOVE. Every group out to 150 yrds can be covered with a nickel. Since 7mm BR was sentenced to obsolescence I reload my own. Now the problem is, there is no 7mm BR brass out there for less than $1 or more a piece. Now to the point, I'm thinking about necking up 6mm BR brass to 7mm. The cases are identical. Can this be done with just a sizing die or is a special die needed?

I've been out of the loop for a bit, working from home, two daughters, being quarantined, two large dogs, trapped wife, etc... etc...
On my last trip to Academy Snorts I was shocked by the empty ammo shelves. It was the 2009 Presidential election all over again! Dang it!! My youngest daughter loves to shoot and I'm short on 9mm, .38 sp, .357 Mag and one never has enough .22 LR on hand.
GunBot is all but useless. Where are some dependable sources for affordable ammo these days? As soon as we have ammo in the bunker I have my eye on 9mm, .38 and .357 dies, bullets and powder.

On a side note.....
Does anyone have any experience neck sizing brass? I have a Remington XP-100 in 7mm BR, which I LOVE. Every group out to 150 yrds can be covered with a nickel. Since 7mm BR was sentenced to obsolescence I reload my own. Now the problem is, there is no 7mm BR brass out there for less than $1 or more a piece. Now to the point, I'm thinking about necking up 6mm BR brass to 7mm. The cases are identical. Can this be done with just a sizing die or is a special die needed?
Pull decap rod and see if it is tapered and will start into the 6mm case. If it will use lots of lube and it should work. Best lube is Imperial Sizing Wax but I use the Hornady stuff in the tub. I expand 223 to 25 and 6.5 in one pass with few losses v

Pull decap rod and see if it is tapered and will start into the 6mm case. If it will use lots of lube and it should work. Best lube is Imperial Sizing Wax but I use the Hornady stuff in the tub. I expand 223 to 25 and 6.5 in one pass with few losses v
As a fellow BR shooter that also forms LOTS of wildcat brass, agreed on all points.

........ Since 7mm BR was sentenced to obsolescence I reload my own. Now the problem is, there is no 7mm BR brass out there for less than $1 or more a piece.

PM me. I MIGHT have a small stash of virgin brass in my outrageous pile-o-brass in the garage. No promises!

I neck down 32-20 to 218 bee which is .22. Imperial lube is a must.

The key is gradual steps and watch for splits. You can consider annealing if needed.

I've resized .223 to .300aac. I agree with taking it slowly. I have a Lee die and a RCBS die and one is better than the other at forming (the Lee works better). I resize once, trim, then resize again. I find it more reliable than factory brass.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised to see so many rocketeers that are into guns. I guess, in the USA, I shouldn't be. Guns are near and dear to our hearts, though there are a lot of people that think they are inherently evil. I know people that wouldn't enter a house if they knew there was a gun inside.
Bullets are expensive. Driving to a range is inconvenient. Loud noises, next to my head, make my hand unsteady. I do most of my shooting in my family room now. I have quite a few pellet guns, but airsoft guns are ridiculously cheap to shoot and surprisingly accurate, at close range. I like to put airsoft BBs on top of a golf tee and shoot them off. I give myself extra points if I don't hit the tee.

The main difference between guns and rockets is one goes mostly vertical and the others goes mostly horizontal. Other than that, it’s putting a propellant into a chamber and igniting. Same means, different result.

The learning curve is different. Start with BB gun, progress to a .22, then up to an AR or pistol. Maybe it’s not that different...

Back