GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone noticed that school shootings have been all but eliminated since widespread home-schooling has been mandated? Kids are protected in their homes whereas in schools not so much.

Another unintended benefit, kids are learning to borrow and carry when doing addition and subtraction, hearing true history from those who lived through it, and acquiring knowledge with more of an American slant. It’s become a family thing rather than a state-run childcare/indoctrination process.

Now back to firearms and rocketry...

4AFC4CD6-63E9-491E-AA7F-9FEC7CD4E068.jpeg

Ok, someone mentioned PPKs, that's my cup of tea. I have a fair number, all 'bring backs' I bought at gun shows with my dad. ('Bring back' is the term for a WWII souvenir brought back by returning GI's after the war.) Most were bought at in the '70s and 80's, where we set up a table offering to buy WWII souvenirs. PPs and PPKs were favorite items among GIs, along of course with Lugers. Most were chambered in 7.65mm, or .32ACP as we call it. A few were chambered in 22LR and were often given to non-military personal who might need security, like bankers. PPKs were considered an officers gun due to their small size. As mentioned in an earlier post, after the 1968 Gun Control Act, the original PPK was too small to be imported so the PPK/s was created to meet the size restrictions.

Below is a trio of PPs, 2 PPKs, one in .22LR and the other in 7.65mm, the third is a PP, which is the original, larger framed version, also in 7.65mm caliber. All are either pre-war or early war construction. I like to shoot the .22LR PPK, so I replaced the original grips (pictured, standing upright) with larger wooden grips. (The cost of .32ACP rounds is about the same as .45ACP, so the .22LR makes a lot more sense to shoot.) The original wrap around grips are prone to cracking at the top of the back strap, so if you have an original it's wise to replace them if you decide to shoot it. They are fun to shoot, but the sights are tiny and it's a challenge to get good groups past 15 yards.

By todays standards the 7.65 or .32ACP round is considered underpowered for self-defense use. But in the hands of someone like James Bond, it was apparently deadly enough.

Tony

PPK in 22LR (circa 1935), PP in 7.65mm, lower is PPK in 7.65mm: plus original wrap-around grips from the 22LR caliber model:
PP-PPK.jpg

Last edited:
I tried a PPK/S at one time in my life, but after experiencing "slide bite" on my first trip to the range due to my fairly big hands, I quickly sold it. Years later I discovered the SIG-Sauer P230, which is generally considered their version of Walther's classic. While I recently sold the blued version I had (pictured below wearing Hogue cocobolo grips), I did land a LNIB, unfired P230/SL (the stainless model in 2nd photo) last year. Despite being nearly 30 years old, it still looks like new, and I carry it almost daily!

And regarding both of these shown, after many hundreds of rounds through them combined, I have so far NEVER had slide bite from either one! :)
691-AEFE1-A8-A5-49-A4-841-B-9-CB05462-C630.jpg

P230SL_cropped.jpg

O1d_dude - you just described why many people DO NOT support gun ownership -- current owner's can't/won't articulate why they need them.

If you want to hold onto the "right" then you should be able to say why.....otherwise people [today] are inclined to say NO to guns ..... just saying......
Okay, here's my why's. I have the right to defend myself and family, but you've heard that before. An armed public is a peaceful one, but you don't believe that. You feel that's what the police is fore. (Guy's with guns) now the big one that makes me nut, the second amendment is the reset button on the constitution. It allows me to retrieve my will to be governed. Now being a gun nut I find myself defending your rights to believe as you wish. Your welcome.

Are your second amendment rights in jeopardy?
Gun owners sure behave like they are or will be soon.

So -- if that's the perception, why not get ahead of the narrative and tell people who do not own guns why you need to retain that right???
Or -- STFU about second amendment rights if there isn't a need, as you say.
HR 5717.....read it....it provides the means to confiscate all guns it really boils down to the basic human right of self defense....whether that defense is a thug who would do you or your family harm or an out of control goverment....countries like the UK have decided you don't have that right....

Okay, here's my why's. I have the right to defend myself and family, but you've heard that before. An armed public is a peaceful one, but you don't believe that. You feel that's what the police is fore. (Guy's with guns) now the big one that makes me nut, the second amendment is the reset button on the constitution. It allows me to retrieve my will to be governed. Now being a gun nut I find myself defending your rights to believe as you wish. Your welcome.
People also forget, The police is there in minutes, when seconds count...

The erosion is occurring or it isn't -- choose one.
It you say it is - then to help those on the fence (or sway opponents) then:

Failure to do so might cause the public to want to [pressure congress to] change the amendment.
Flipping the bird and saying "none of your business" is not a good way to win friends and influence people.
Justify your need for a turbocharger on your Assault Vehicle. It is now your job to do the research and convince me. Go ahead, I'll wait.

See how ridiculous I sound?

I don't need one -- but turbochargers aren't weapons..... No Equivalence => BS argument.
It’s not BS. More people are killed in vehicle accidents than the use or misuse of firearms. It’s obvious that manufacturers are not doing enough to make cars safe for the general public. A turbocharger increases the lethality of your vehicle. You have no constitutional right to own a vehicle, much less a turbo.

I agree with you, a lot. But it’s just as important that we point out to people like Fred that we don’t have to establish a need. That’s usually the first erosion to rights, to have to justify them.
The 2nd amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting deer (as Fredo’s brother Darryl would have you believe) It has EVERYTHING to do with (then) King George and similarly situated tyrants being held in check by the citizenry of these United States (IMO).

It's pretty easy, if you don't like guns, this isn't the thread for you. We all get that there are many sides to any argument, and in general people hold views that seem reasonable and rational to them, even if not others. But as I see it, this is a rocketry hobby forum, not a forum to argue over rights that fall outside the scope of our hobby and our leadership's ability to regulate it.

There are plenty of other threads on this forum that offer lively discussion, it would be nice to exclude this particular thread from than list.

Tony

Now I get it -- you need guns to guard the potatoes!
OK then......
Be grateful you were never shot at by violent criminals who illegally obtained guns in so called “anti gun zones”.
A sign will never stop an evil person.

I by some miracle survived two of those incidents. I am more pro gun because of it. It took cops already there four minutes to stop a threat with a bullet.
I was recently offered a NASA job in Cali. I declined it. I like red states better.

So there’s a real world of why you need a gun. And if you don’t want it, then fine. But don’t destroy the lives and rights of others. Less people would’ve died if we had an ability to defend ourselves.

People also forget, The police is there in minutes, when seconds count...
They haven’t “lived” that horror. I’ll explain it more clearly. Saw a thug in Memphis shoot an African American woman in head at less than three yards in about two seconds. Cops showed up four minutes late. African American woman was unarmed. She threw her hands up and screamed. Then died shortly after a single .45 acp round hit her in head. I was unarmed. She was unarmed. Thug was armed in a place where a law says you can’t carry. See how this works now???

That’s why I own guns. I used to be all about squirrel or deer hunting. Now I take my safety seriously.

This is my reminder to post a pic of my 1873...
Made in 1891.

Attachments

• EAE79301-2ECB-4869-BFF9-64FDCBD80930.jpeg
    EAE79301-2ECB-4869-BFF9-64FDCBD80930.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 4
  • C34B1E40-137B-43DB-A415-9752CF9B7935.jpeg
    C34B1E40-137B-43DB-A415-9752CF9B7935.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 4
  • 3D219A56-21A0-4945-BAB6-D2F0973A98F2.jpeg
    3D219A56-21A0-4945-BAB6-D2F0973A98F2.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 3
My dads old Stevens 22 Long rifle. Same box the 1873 was on. Don’t know how old it is, or what model, or how rare, but it’s a cute lil bugger. The barrel is shot out tho...
Maybe a Stevens Favorite? Under the lever there is 754 stamped. SN maybe?

Attachments

• 3BB32E78-9DB5-4DBC-974B-89A374AE0B80.jpeg
    3BB32E78-9DB5-4DBC-974B-89A374AE0B80.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back