GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is the closest I'll get to owning a Python - another 'snake' gun, the Diamondback. For some reason I have 2 nearly identical copies, both in 22LR caliber. Good looking gun, but I can't shoot a DA to save my life. (Hopefully just figuratively.) The other has Colt rubber grips which are better for shooting, but don't look nearly as nice. I do have a Colt in .357 magnum, but it's a Single Action Army. (Purists will hate on it, but I bought it to shoot .38 special wadcutters.) It has some of the craziest case hardening I've ever seen.

Tony

The Diamondback - or 'a poor man's Python':
Diamondback-22LR.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. I want to go out and shoot; I just haven’t found (or made) the time in the last few years. Every gun I buy is because I want to shoot it. I keep promising myself I will.
Too bad you don't live in a state with lots of open area for shooting...wait...what?
;)

I don't shoot near as much as I used to. We lost one of our favorite shooting spots years ago. I've been to the local range twice, once for CCW class and then my younger brother and I went to just shoot once. Most of the time its just plinking around the house. I bought my daughter a Cricket for Christmas and only shot it Christmas Day.
My right eye is to the point that if I shoot a rifle it has to have optics, which all mine do anyway, and I shoot handguns with my left eye. Tried left handed a few times with rifles but I feel silly doing it unnatural. If I practice enough I could get the hang of it, just don't practice much.

So sorry for the lack of update on ACOG and RM-05G on MR556A1. So with ranges finally open this weekend I finally had a rifle range to proper zero an acog at 50 meters for 77 gr mk262. It’ll now do “dime” size groups at 50 meters from bipod. Granted... I’m the guy that shoots 4” groups at 25 yards with irons with an AR... ACOG made massive difference.11C11CFD-FD66-4B17-AF49-A736DA4E98D6.jpeg
On the bench. Later scooted acog to rail slot ten. (bonks you in eye so far back) F848299F-ACE9-4B92-B60C-48F2491B83A2.jpeg
notice upper left group. This was me learning AR15... this was zeroing.

1CD0C8CB-015B-4DA6-85B7-227E47F4B0D9.jpeg
this was the hold for 185.5 meters. You will not see the target dots at 202 yards. The farthest the range allows. Fired 160 rounds. I am out of practice with centerfire rifle. Shot more pistol than rifle in my life. Before acog... I was doing 4” group standing with irons at 25 yards.
Did not get to do RMR RM-05G sight in due to time constraints. Granted it’s Free range. One thing I noted... The magpul bipod doesn’t lock traverse and I wish it did lock it. May get Harris sometime.

AM noticing this is more me than it. Furthest I shot a rifle and actually made groups... Lastly... GDI RCOM E. We used QD. A mil guy and I shot more groups we can confirm the crap doesn’t shift zero when detached and re-attached. Make sure to torque it hard and loctite the acog to the mount. It’s good to go.. lol.

Finally ammo used was 77gr OTM mod 1 LR. Sgammo has it much cheaper than BlackHills.

To clarify... You can see a 1.5-2” aftermarket stick on orange target dot clearly at 202 yards. It’s just smaller than parts of chevron. It’s those tiny red dots you can’t see that far out lol.
Also at 50 meters with 77gr ammo you use top of chevron tip it’s real precise. At 202 yards I found myself placing the inner V slight on top of dot.

Lol true cause it took 10 shots, but at the same time a 10/22 is pretty easy to aim cause you can hit a 8 inch steel plate at 110 yards without a scope no problem

I found myself doing 12 oz pop cans with Henry .22 lever iron sight routinely as a teen that far out. I can not for the life of me... Match those groups with magpul irons on a 5.56 nato gun. Lmao...

JB. Nice little M1 Carbine. They are so much fun to shoot. I picked one up to go with my Garand.
And those old Marlin's have become collector pieces. Super nice guns.

O1d_dude - you just described why many people DO NOT support gun ownership -- current owner's can't/won't articulate why they need them.

If you want to hold onto the "right" then you should be able to say why.....otherwise people [today] are inclined to say NO to guns ..... just saying......

O1d_dude - you just described why many people DO NOT support gun ownership -- current owner's can't/won't articulate why they need them.

If you want to hold onto the "right" then you should be able to say why.....otherwise people [today] are inclined to say NO to guns ..... just saying......
It’s simple Fred; fortunately, in our country, we don’t have to establish a need for any of our constitutional rights. Should you have to establish a need to peacefully assemble, or worship (or not)? Of course not. Then those would not be rights.

Are your second amendment rights in jeopardy?
Gun owners sure behave like they are or will be soon.

So -- if that's the perception, why not get ahead of the narrative and tell people who do not own guns why you need to retain that right???
Or -- STFU about second amendment rights if there isn't a need, as you say.

Anybody that grew up in the "James Bond" era, must have a Walther PPK (or now /S for safety, stupid but it is what it is). I think his was a weird caliber. I got .22lr because ammo is cheap. Trade off is, the Walther does not like dirty. After only about 100 rounds its so gunked up that it will stove pipe about 1 out of 5. Maybe I should buy better ammo. Better ammo kinda defeats my reasoning for haveing .22lr cheap ammo. Oh well.

And dont even go there with the Beretta.
The Walther 22 you have IS a nice gun though... But the "S" does not mean safety. The PPK is shorter than the PP by 0.6″ and has no metal backstrap, so the grips wrap around the rear. The PPK also has a shorter grip, and the magazines hold one less round. The PPK/S is a combination of the two. It has the shorter barrel and slide of the PPK, but the longer grip of the PP.
Q: Is there a problem with the Beretta? I used to have one, (92 FS) it was a great gun, I would take it over a Glock any day, but needed the money more than it at the time... I have a Smith & Wesson Victory 22 for plinking...

So -- if that's the perception, why not get ahead of the narrative and tell people who do not own guns why you need to retain that right???
If people like you think we need to demonstrate a need, then our rights are in jeopardy. Of course your statement “STFU about second amendment rights” shows how much you respect the first amendment as well.

Last edited:

What's her name, Nancy???????

Q: Is there a problem with the Beretta? I used to have one, (92 FS) it was a great gun, I would take it over a Glock any day, but needed the money more than it at the time...
I have owned my 92FS for at least 25 years and won't let it go. I owned a Glock 19 for about a year & just didn't like the way it felt. Opinions vary.

If people like you think we need to demonstrate a need, then our rights are in jeopardy. Of course your statement “STFU about second amendment rights” shows how much you respect the first amendment as well.

Maybe out in your area that seems true. But for most gun owners it is a continual struggle against the erosion of the second amendment. Everyone who expects to keep their gun rights needs to be able to clearly articulate why the second amendment was written, and why it is still relevant (and why it should not only apply to 18th century muskets).

The crap is creeping inward from both coasts, and it will get to your boonies in due time.

Maybe out in your area that seems true. But for most gun owners it is a continual struggle against the erosion of the second amendment. Everyone who expects to keep their gun rights needs to be able to clearly articulate why the second amendment was written, and why it is still relevant (and why it should not only apply to 18th century muskets).

The crap is creeping inward from both coasts, and it will get to your boonies in due time.
I agree with you, a lot. But it’s just as important that we point out to people like Fred that we don’t have to establish a need. That’s usually the first erosion to rights, to have to justify them.

I agree with you, a lot. But it’s just as important that we point out to people like Fred that we don’t have to establish a need. That’s usually the first erosion to rights, to have to justify them.
Agreed, and just because the Second Amendment is considered to be a "pre-existing" right to the Constitution doesn't mean the anti-gunner won't do whatever they can to get the 2nd limited or done away with, all it takes is the current congress, a sympathetic Senate, a President willing to sign the law, and a willing Supreme Court.....

The erosion is occurring or it isn't -- choose one.
It you say it is - then to help those on the fence (or sway opponents) then:
Everyone who expects to keep their gun rights needs to be able to clearly articulate why the second amendment was written, and why it is still relevant (and why it should not only apply to 18th century muskets
Failure to do so might cause the public to want to [pressure congress to] change the amendment.
Flipping the bird and saying "none of your business" is not a good way to win friends and influence people.

The erosion is occurring or it isn't -- choose one.
It you say it is - then to help those on the fence (or sway opponents) then:

Failure to do so might cause the public to want to [pressure congress to] change the amendment.
Flipping the bird and saying "none of your business" is not a good way to win friends and influence people.
Those are two different questions, Fred. The question of why we need a particular gun shouldn’t be asked. The question of why we need gun rights is the question that all of us should be able to answer.

Last edited:
The reasons are plain as day. They are on the nightly news EVERY night. In the daily paper EVERY day. Person shot here, person shot there. 15 kids at a school. Some people just choose not to see the reasons why.

Back