GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got in a little .45 ACP exercise. My elbows start to bother my by the time I am finished, especially my right one since I do a lot of bullseye style target shooting. But it's a great way to spend the afternoon outside in the very nice weather we've been having here in Texas lately.

Tony

45-ACP.jpg

Last edited:
Say hello to my new little friend. For years I have always wanted a .22 revolver. But I also wanted one that comes with an second cylinder to shoot 22 Magnum. Even though there was several times I could of bought one, I could not justify buying a gun. I have plenty of guns, and as my wife says. I don't 'NEED' another gun. However, some things happened. First, someone gave me 4 boxes of 22 Mag ammo. Now I need at gun that can shoot it. I was also waiting on a check from my phone system consultant because I did some work for him. So I told my wife once that extra money comes in, and I have the ammo, I am going buy that gun. So on Thursday I got the check. I heard that gun shops were running out of guns and ammo. So I called around, and found a shop that had the gun I wanted and for a price that wasn'tMy New Gun.jpg marked up. I went, and bought the gun. Of course he couldn't get through for the background check (he said he wasn't able to get through for two days) so I paid for the gun and told him call me when he gets trough and I'll come back and pick it up. The gun shop was just down the street from my inlaws, so we went to their house to pay a visit. Just as we were leaving, he called and said he got through and I can pick up my new gun :). If you are friends with me on facebook, you can see a live streamed video of my wife and I shooting it at a friends farm. Video quality is poor because we are in the middle of nowhere and cell service is not the best.

Picked up a surefire M600DF. Arisaka 416 SMR scout mount. Ordered a TA-31F acog with aurora ACSS reticle. And a GDI RComE mount. Am done with gun buying for this year. Planning on getting back into rockets this fall. I really miss rocketry... been way too busy with work. We are now making conveyors that make ventilators for hospital so with corona going on... Well basically we volunteered our weekends away to make a deadline and I literally fell over at work this week from exhaustion. Going to take a nice weekend now...

Please report back on that GDI RComE mount. Dang, I though Larue stuff was spendy!

You are going to love that ACSS Aurora ACOG. Red or green?

Say hello to my new little friend. For years I have always wanted a .22 revolver. But I also wanted one that comes with an second cylinder to shoot 22 Magnum. Even though there was several times I could of bought one, I could not justify buying a gun. I have plenty of guns, and as my wife says. I don't 'NEED' another gun. However, some things happened. First, someone gave me 4 boxes of 22 Mag ammo. Now I need at gun that can shoot it. I was also waiting on a check from my phone system consultant because I did some work for him. So I told my wife once that extra money comes in, and I have the ammo, I am going buy that gun. So on Thursday I got the check. I heard that gun shops were running out of guns and ammo. So I called around, and found a shop that had the gun I wanted and for a price that wasn'tView attachment 409920 marked up. I went, and bought the gun. Of course he couldn't get through for the background check (he said he wasn't able to get through for two days) so I paid for the gun and told him call me when he gets trough and I'll come back and pick it up. The gun shop was just down the street from my inlaws, so we went to their house to pay a visit. Just as we were leaving, he called and said he got through and I can pick up my new gun :). If you are friends with me on facebook, you can see a live streamed video of my wife and I shooting it at a friends farm. Video quality is poor because we are in the middle of nowhere and cell service is not the best.

Dude, I like that, the swappable cylinders is great. I was never a big fan of revolvers, but they don't leave a lot of brass (evidence) around. I am looking into getting a fun gun when the stimulus check arrives, I always wanted a black powder gun. 1850's style cap and ball.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...ber-black-powder-revolver/740536.uts?slotId=0

10EC79E9-D67A-4C51-95CC-6B1A269B57D6.jpeg E6CFA5CF-781F-4280-8107-4DED635E0AEF.jpeg 40A653DD-C398-4305-84FD-ED1E285E72F2.jpeg
have not had time to zero literal just got this. Should get mount sometime this week. Will update when able. Have fixed gun “itch” hobby for year outside of maybe a sling or bipod. Lol. Man This feels way different than the 1890 pump .22 short I learned on. 10EC79E9-D67A-4C51-95CC-6B1A269B57D6.jpeg 10EC79E9-D67A-4C51-95CC-6B1A269B57D6.jpeg

I could see leaves at 700 yards with an acog clearly with scope detached from rifle across a golf course at noon sunny day. Blows my mind. Yeah was $$$$ but that’s the clearest scope I’ve seen. And cheaper Walmart deer scopes just don’t compare even at higher magnification. Eye relief is bad like TA-31 but useable for full extend stock if you move head forward on standard mount. I think GDI or a LT-681 type mount would make massive improvement. I wanted a kram spacer but never found one in stock.

0259AD43-E905-44CA-B854-7A035AD3449E.jpeg
Please report back on that GDI RComE mount. Dang, I though Larue stuff was spendy!

You are going to love that ACSS Aurora ACOG. Red or green?

I got my GDI rcomE mount used on eBay for $145. I wanted a larue LT681. Either will work. This following will look very goofy. Run the back up irons in front of it. Max out the offset rear on acog mount. Mount as far back as possible. I need to loctite and go zero this rifle. Anyways when I shoulder it there is no more eye relief wailing on the TA31 series on m4 style rifle. This feels perfect. Costs be ******ed who cares. It fixes your eye relief issues. You shoulder rifle and it’s clear without needed to move neck forward or get hit with charging handle to nose. I know it looks goofy get over it. Massive feeling enhancement to human eye relief.

You can ditch the back ups now.
And if ACOG eats bullet or falls off cliff or leaks and fogs up??? And I take the QD mounted acog off? Then what? I’ll take my dinky magpul POS plastic back up sights with a 25 yard zero. Beats pointing rifle without sights and yelling pew.... YMMV.. And I’ve tried 45 canted irons on a friends rifle we both mofo hated it so bad. Because reasons...

Not real
View attachment 412280

I got my GDI rcomE mount used on eBay for $145. I wanted a larue LT681. Either will work. This following will look very goofy. Run the back up irons in front of it. Max out the offset rear on acog mount. Mount as far back as possible. I need to loctite and go zero this rifle. Anyways when I shoulder it there is no more eye relief wailing on the TA31 series on m4 style rifle. This feels perfect. Costs be ******ed who cares. It fixes your eye relief issues. You shoulder rifle and it’s clear without needed to move neck forward or get hit with charging handle to nose. I know it looks goofy get over it. Massive feeling enhancement to human eye relief.

Not really sure why you have the ACOG that far back. Yes the eye relief takes some getting used to but you don't have to have your stock extended to furthest position all the time.

Going back to some old school precision, I picked up a couple classics; two Remington 40x"s One is based off the early 722 action (40-X), and the other on the 700 action (40-XB). These are 22LR competition rifles. The 40-XB has the 28" long heavy barrel, and the 40-X has the standard barrel. Both rifles are equipped with Redfield sights, with the 40-X sporting the Redfield Olympic front and rear, and the 40-XB sporting the Redfield International Match front and rear. Also, the 40-X has a more standard grade walnut stock, while the 40-XB is wearing a show grade piece of walnut. I have not shot either yet, as I am giving the rifles a thorough cleaning, and coating the stocks in a couple coats or pure Tung Oil. Both rifles are U.S. marked rifles, which were originally sold by the CMP.

The 40-XB:

3M1Miru.jpg

ZV9Sngn.jpg

The 40-X

kmjvGGu.jpg

YeW8OHl.jpg

Going back to some old school precision, I picked up a couple classics; two Remington 40x"s One is based off the early 722 action (40-X), and the other on the 700 action (40-XB). These are 22LR competition rifles. The 40-XB has the 28" long heavy barrel, and the 40-X has the standard barrel. Both rifles are equipped with Redfield sights, with the 40-X sporting the Redfield Olympic front and rear, and the 40-XB sporting the Redfield International Match front and rear. Also, the 40-X has a more standard grade walnut stock, while the 40-XB is wearing a show grade piece of walnut. I have not shot either yet, as I am giving the rifles a thorough cleaning, and coating the stocks in a couple coats or pure Tung Oil. Both rifles are U.S. marked rifles, which were originally sold by the CMP.

The 40-XB:

View attachment 412344

View attachment 412346

The 40-X

View attachment 412345

View attachment 412347
My sister used to shoot small-bore target rifle. She used Savage and Anschutz rifles, both customized heavily. One was her prone rifle and the other her position rifle. (Don't ask me which was which, but I think the Anschutz was the prone rifle.)

Picked one of these up a while back. Nothing fancy but something to add to the arsenal.

Attachments

• 20200110_150220.jpg
    20200110_150220.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 18
My sister used to shoot small-bore target rifle. She used Savage and Anschutz rifles, both customized heavily. One was her prone rifle and the other her position rifle. (Don't ask me which was which, but I think the Anschutz was the prone rifle.)
The one with all the fancy extras wascthe position rifle, the other one wascthe prone rifle.

My nothing fancy handgun is the Auto Ordnance 1911A1. I was too poor to get in on the CMP lottery for a true milsurp 1911, so I picked up this nice copy from the CMP forums instead ($400 shipped). Built to spec, and no frills, the main change from the original design is the addition of the drop safety, or what is classified as a series 80. This particular 1911A1 was from an estate sale, and as yet remains unfired... even by me, as I do not have any 45 ammo yet...quarantine and all.

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

My nothing fancy handgun is the Auto Ordnance 1911A1. I was too poor to get in on the CMP lottery for a true milsurp 1911, so I picked up this nice copy from the CMP forums instead ($400 shipped). Built to spec, and no frills, the main change from the original design is the addition of the drop safety, or what is classified as a series 80. This particular 1911A1 was from an estate sale, and as yet remains unfired... even by me, as I do not have any 45 ammo yet...quarantine and all.
That is a pretty close copy of the standard 1911. One thing to watch out for is 'hammer bite' on the fleshy part of your hand between your thumb and forefinger. Without a beavertail safety, the hammer can smack into your hand and raise a welt, depending on how big and 'fleshy' your hands are. I have several 1911A pattern 1911s, and it does get me once in a while. It's nothing serious for most folks, but if you do experience it, a band-aid on the area or of course shooting gloves will fix it. If you aren't familiar with the 1911 watch a couple videos on how to strip it for cleaning (but make sure they are for series 80 versions, they have an extra step). It's a great design in that with basic tools you can completely strip it to the frame and then easily reassemble it, unlike most modern handguns. The trigger can be tuned very precisely by a good gunsmith. Even a 'bubba' gunsmith can clean up a few parts to adjust the pull.

Hopefully you have a chance to pickup some ammo soon. In my mind the 1911 is just a fantastic design, it fits my hand perfectly and shoots like a dream.

Tony

Last edited:
Going back to some old school precision, I picked up a couple classics; two Remington 40x"s One is based off the early 722 action (40-X), and the other on the 700 action (40-XB). ....
I've always wanted a model 40 target rifle. I bought on of the Kimbers from the CMP, but it's just not the same. I have several of the CZ-452s, including the Ultra Lux that I added peep sights to, but again, just not the same. They shoot great, but don't have the history of the model. That 40-XB with the nicely figured walnut sure is a beauty. I guess I'm just a sucker for old school firearms.

Thanks for the photos,

Tony

I've always wanted a model 40 target rifle. I bought on of the Kimbers from the CMP, but it's just not the same. I have several of the CZ-452s, including the Ultra Lux that I added peep sights to, but again, just not the same. They shoot great, but don't have the history of the model. That 40-XB with the nicely figured walnut sure is a beauty. I guess I'm just a sucker for old school firearms.

Thanks for the photos,

Tony

I have a NIB Kimber 82G coming by end of the week. Never been shot or assembled, I am really looking forward to breaking it in. The rifle does have a small hint of the scratch received during inventory, which I believe the CMP blamed on an ARMY private who cut the boxes open to inventory the 20,000 rifles. The walnut figure on this stock is like a Marble Cake!

IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0038_Scratch.jpg IMG_0039.jpg

I have a NIB Kimber 82G coming by end of the week. Never been shot or assembled, I am really looking forward to breaking it in. The rifle does have a small hint of the scratch received during inventory, which I believe the CMP blamed on an ARMY private who cut the boxes open to inventory the 20,000 rifles. The walnut figure on this stock is like a Marble Cake!

View attachment 412515 View attachment 412516

View attachment 412517 View attachment 412518
Sure. Blame it on the Army...

Nice boom stick, though.

Back