GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 402469 Picked these 4 up the other day, all sold as wall hangers but i'll get a couple checked out to see if they can at least do some black powder blanks.

The one on the left has a beautiful stock, shame the action is to loose. If the one on the right shoots, I would see if the nice stock will fit. From the pic they could be the same mfg. Good luck.

For the 6.5 creed guys out there, I am really impressed how my Ruger Am Predator shoots. I bought it thinking I might have to upgrade the stock, but so far at 100, it's doing 1/2" groups, with 140gr. Hornady eldm and 43.5gr. H4350 powder.

My first post on a rocket forum, and it's on a gun thread. Wonder where my head is.

A4C55BAE-543B-4124-8491-076A2C84E460.jpeg Took a massive break from rockets for past month or two. Need to get back into it. (Rockets). Work schedule has been nutty busy sorry. Wanted a nice Piston AR-15. Needless to say pissed a few grand on a HK MR556A1 upper, PSA lower, magpul CTR Stock, aero LPK, magpul Mbus, and bcm buffer tube and finally a Geiselle SSA mr556 trigger. Have to say smoothest AR I ever shot. My wallet legit hates me this month.. I used to hate AR15s a lot for feeling like pogo sticks. This thing is rock solid. I want nice optic next. I’ll try to L2 this year. Dunno when...

Have put 400 rounds downrange with it. No jams. Bought a case of IMI 77 gr OTM LR mod 1 recently. Want optic before I fire the nice stuff outta it. Smoothest gun I ever fired hands down. Everyone I let shoot it at range didn’t wanna put it down. Most people crap talk the stew out of an HK MR rifle just on price and most people never fired one in reality who trash talk it online. It looks like AR but it functions not like AR. It’s amazing imo. My wallet still hates the price... But yeah I’ve never had a gun this nice before. It is a tad heavy but not as front heavy as trolls want you to think. Anyone with doubts; find me an AR that’ll do 20,000 rounds no lube, you can’t explode the gas tube there’s only a piston lol, it’s caveman simple to clean, the bolt comes out cold and spotless usually, and like barrel is match barrel but CHF so it’ll last 35,000 rounds they say. Only downside is military units aren’t like $3,100. They actually get them half off. But price aside it’s pretty freakin cool imo. Only con I’d say is price and barrel starts at 0.91” thick then tappers to 0.73” near muzzle. Lotta weight imo. It’s not even very warm after two hundred rounds lol. You can always get it machined down to m4 profile or get it SBR’d into 416 clone... Right now I kinda like it as is. Thinking ACOG plus RMR and bipod... sorry long time no see guys...

7FEDB9F9-A852-46B4-B244-9AFB47BF82E9.jpeg The 416/G36 gas piston design. That cone face of piston and bore gets dirty. Not the chamber.

IMHO, putting an HK MR556A1 gas piston upper on a PSA lower is like putting a Ferrari engine in a Honda CRX. :barf: Hey whatever trips your proverbial trigger.

I bet the Geiselle SSA trigger really improves the shooting experience along with the tame recoil impulse of that gas piston upper.

My wife, daughter and I went to a trap range on Sunday..
I haven't shot trap or skeet in 20 years..
Ohh mann was it a fun day..
We each shot 2 rounds..
I did fairly well,, my daughter did much better then I expected..
She absolutely loved it..
If all goes according to plan we'd like to go to a different place that also has a skeet range next weekend..
Then after that Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays..
I shot sporting clays once 25 years ago and never forgot it..
I've loved target shooting of all sorts all my life,, but sporting clays was just so cool it was unbelievable..

Wish me luck, lol..

Teddy

Why would anyone want to shoot something 20,000 without cleaning. I go about 500-600 on my Daniel before a good clean but 20K? That's just irresponsible. And one last thing....a bipod?

Grouch, your DD is the one that wears the TA44, correct?

I may or may not have picked up a TA44 over the weekend. :)

I wish. I have come so close to buying a TA44 over the years and keep spending the cash in other things. I still haven’t sorted out my sighting needs past irons mostly because I am complicated and the irons have been working for me. Maybe one day this summer I’ll finally get one, we shall see.

I wish. I have come so close to buying a TA44 over the years and keep spending the cash in other things. I still haven’t sorted out my sighting needs past irons mostly because I am complicated and the irons have been working for me. Maybe one day this summer I’ll finally get one, we shall see.
Irons work, I'm a fan. :)

The TA44 I just acquired (LNIB, Like New In Box), green fiber optic, Primary Arms ACSS reticle, I have to say is pretty slick. The eye relief is interesting, I had to set the optic further forward on the receiver than normal spot right in front of a back-up iron sight (if present). The 1.5X magnification is also interesting, but so far so good. I put in on a Larue quick detach mount, could not be happier with the set up. ACOG’s are like H&K pistols, once you have one, you want another.

Resized_20200223_114400_984.jpeg Resized_20200226_163805_4274.jpeg Resized_20200226_163810_9157.jpeg Resized_20200226_163924_2735.jpeg

Looks awesome man. I will wind up getting the circle dot reticle in green when the time comes. It will be going on a 16" and sighted in at the standard 50/200. I mostly shoot on BLM land now and pop random stuff out to 200 yards. The optic looks ideal, I had the chance to fondle one at Primary Arms in Houston and I really liked it. My only concern was using the Bindon Aiming concept with the 1.5X. I shoot both eyes open with irons and RDS so I want to be sure there is no issue with the little ACOG doing the same before I purchased one. I messed around with a TA47 two weekends ago and at 2X with a very narrow field of view, kinda played havoc with my ability to quickly acquire a proper sight picture. Please let me know how you get on with the TA44 and if you shoot both eyes open. Also, your thoughts on sight acquisition. My rifle is my bump in the night motivator so I want to be sure anything added to it increases it's purpose and not detracts.

Looks awesome man. I will wind up getting the circle dot reticle in green when the time comes. It will be going on a 16" and sighted in at the standard 50/200. I mostly shoot on BLM land now and pop random stuff out to 200 yards. The optic looks ideal, I had the chance to fondle one at Primary Arms in Houston and I really liked it. My only concern was using the Bindon Aiming concept with the 1.5X. I shoot both eyes open with irons and RDS so I want to be sure there is no issue with the little ACOG doing the same before I purchased one. I messed around with a TA47 two weekends ago and at 2X with a very narrow field of view, kinda played havoc with my ability to quickly acquire a proper sight picture. Please let me know how you get on with the TA44 and if you shoot both eyes open. Also, your thoughts on sight acquisition. My rifle is my bump in the night motivator so I want to be sure anything added to it increases it's purpose and not detracts.

Dont be concerned about TA44 as it relates to shooting BEO, it works perfectly. It took me a while to get used to shooting pistols BEO, but eventually got used to it (and reasonably proficient at it).

I sold my guns a few years ago, because I just wasn't shooting any more. My old customised Mossberg 500 "Street Sweeper" went to my brother in California; and my RIA replica 1911 to an old friend in Colorado, who insisted upon giving me $50 more than I was asking because of the case, the good condition, and the extra mag. When my Colorado friend expressed concern that he was leaving me "disarmed", I reminded him that there are many other arms (bludgeon, edged, chemical, electrical) all of which I possess, along with the skill to use.

11A7EEB3-C0DC-4EAC-976F-6D80E8FD9B61.jpeg
Bought a a Geissele 416 SMR rail. I could see how from a “collector point” one may want that HK lower. I saw no sense in paying $400 plus for just an AR Lower that was limited to only M3 pmags or Hk mags etc. By going with a plain PSA lower for $50 I was able to afford a nice aftermarket parts. Also I didn’t need a “tool” to take rifle apart at lower joining upper. You still need a flat head to take the handguard off to access piston. I wanted that geissele trigger over the stock trigger from the get go. Yeah I had no intentions of keeping it stock. Lol... Now a MR223A3 lower at least those have new features that most AR lower doesn’t have. Imo... And yeah I want a QD Harris bipod and TA31 with ACSS/rmr on QD till I figure out what else I wanna do with rifle... To me milspec forged AR lower is AR lower. If you want to get anal rententive about it all... A 416 stripped lower has like different mag well contour and slight profile differences. I bought this rifle to shoot the snot out of not getting in a picture clone fest argument collector crap. Lmfao.

Guys on YouTube tested similar rifle mr556 upper to 1000 yards with nice optics.. You “can” run it like an AR carbine. It’s just 9 lbs 6 oz with 30 round Hk polymer mag loaded with 77 gr imi OTM mod 1 as I configured it. I just view this as a really robust precise rifle imo that could do carbine courses if forced. Reportedly Marines M27 IAR is more like 12.7 pounds with all the crap they throw on it.

I may have barrel reprofiled or sbr this thing eventually but for now am very happy. Next AR build looking into PRI MK12 uppers etc and SSA_E trigger... Word is it’ll do .4 moa but only has barrel longevity of 4K rounds. And the scopes for those builds cost more than the gun imo.... For my first AR I like the HK upper a helluva a lot. There are more accurate rifles or better ones for carbine courses. I highly doubt you’d find one as durable as the HK.

Why would anyone want to shoot something 20,000 without cleaning. I go about 500-600 on my Daniel before a good clean but 20K?

Not saying I’d do it. Military did it to prove a freakin point... They had SF guys deployed global scale without access to unit armorers and chunking 55k rounds down range in a matter of months. And in war time they didn’t always have luxury of cleaning damn thing. I think M4 is fine gun. But you had SF users say hey we used an M4 as hard as a belt fed LMG and it failed at X rounds. We need tougher unit to use than X rounds. I usually clean my guns after range session. And POF P416 survived 2540 rounds full auto mag dump after mag dump while a brand new AK103 failed at 1400 rounds. People wanna complain of the price increase on piston guns. Let the twats argue AR or AK all day. I’ll pick a 416 type system before either of those, it’s expensive but imo the reliability speaks for itself. Like 95% of fouling goes out bore or stays near piston. Chamber is clean after 400 rounds. Literally. Oh and bolt comes out cold. Love it.... Very awesome to have an AR that’s AK simple to clean looool.

So you are telling me that a man that trust his life to a weapon will intentionally not clean said weapon so he can run 55k through it to prove a point? I call BS. Piston AR's come into their own when suppressed but not needed otherwise. DI guns are proven to be more accurate if you like that sort of thing. I'm not bagging on your stick, it's a nice rifle (upper) but so are a lot of others.

FYI, my next rifle will most likely be piston operated. I've had my eye on a Rifle Dynamics AKM for a while now. Won't happen soon but will happen.

8BA5E6E2-DE3C-4F46-B5AA-B8D72214162C.jpeg 386B2968-9EC7-419B-8584-84DCB998501A.jpeg
Geissele 416 SMR rail installed. Literally this is the tightest rail I’ve ever laid my hands on. Like if you do not put thin oil on the trunnion then get a freakin’ brass hammer tight. Apparently they weren’t BSing about 0.001” clearance. A lotta wiggling then it just locks up tight. Much narrower profile than HK keymod. Rifle points nicer. Way faster seemingly because you can grip it better lol.

Arisaka Defense has neat plug ins for surefire stuff like the indexer or M300/600 mounts that clear a laser. Haven’t messed with the pic rails. Eager to see if my zero got destroyed next time I’m at range.

As far as wants go, good optics, larue mounts QD, sling, short fore grip, weapon light. And maybe SBR it to 10.4 or reprofile wayyy later. So far it’s dream rifle to me. And not real certain on what order to proceed but leaning optics.

Attachments

• BDB656AB-5F66-458C-A072-03E8272C812F.jpeg
    BDB656AB-5F66-458C-A072-03E8272C812F.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Nice set up. Arisaka is good to go. My SureFire uses one of their offset MLok mounts. Also, get yourself some decent gloves. Like an AK, piston guns get very hot around the gas block.

I like that Geissele rail, MLOK much better than Keymod IMO.

Put that X300 back on your VP9 where it belongs! :)

Back