GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures of the 10/22 I got a couple of weeks ago.

I got a picatinny rail with an integrated mechanism for a left-handed charging handle. So I’ve put that on, and I temporarily mounted the open reticle red dot sight from my PC Carbine on it. It’s a bit big for this gun, so I will probably try something else on the 10/22, but I wanted to get something on here to use for now.

E91B638A-F1E7-4EC7-957F-64DAA8A4DBC1.jpeg

Here’s the rail with the left side charging handle. The factory charging handle is still on the right. When you pull back on the left, the little piece on the right comes back and engages the right side “real” handle and pulls it back too. When shooting the gun, only the right side reciprocates. It’s not what I would call perfect, but it’s pretty good, and it’s the only solution I found for left side charging handles.

0A3D2B64-9FD6-48DE-B9BE-3580AF105166.jpeg

It’s a takedown model.

9F302556-FB0C-432A-AD76-9B5890BD5E02.jpeg

The breech end of the barrel tucks into a rubber socket in the stock, and the fore end snaps into the cutout in the stock. It holds together like that and makes a very compact package.

44CA7250-843D-4367-9B6D-10FB02BBB168.jpeg

The stock has a storage compartment.

D1DE80C1-9BF5-45FB-AA78-00068DE73DCA.jpeg

You can fit 3 mags in there. Or remove a divider and fit 1 mag and a box of ammo.

1E1357BD-D30C-446C-B232-26276C35D3D3.jpeg

This seems like it’s going to be a lot of fun.

I like the idea of the left-side charging handle. I am typically ambidextrous/right-handed but shooting is the only thing I have to do left-handed.

It's a weird thing: I'm very right handed and right eyed, but if I'm shooting handguns one handed I'm way better with my left hand. Still right eye, although both are open. It's a great advantage in 'weak hand only' competition.

I like the idea of the left-side charging handle. I am typically ambidextrous/right-handed but shooting is the only thing I have to do left-handed.

I’m right handed and hold the gun with my right hand on the grip and use my right hand to pull the trigger, like a traditional right-handed shooter. I like the ejection port on the right so spent shells fly away from me. But I like to load/remove mags and operate the charging handle with my left hand. It lets me keep my right hand on the grip.

My PC Carbine has a slot on both sides of the receiver for a charging handle, and the bolt has a tapped hole on both sides. It comes with the charging handle screwed in on the right side. But you can simply unscrew it and move it to the other side. Or you can have one on both sides if you like. I moved mine to the left, and I liked how it handled and operated that way. Otherwise, for offhand shooting, you have to support the gun with your left hand and shoulder to charge with your right hand. Or you can use your left hand by going over the top or under the bottom to reach the other side. Those methods feel awkward to me.

I want to be able to operate the 10/22 as much as possible like I operate the PC Carbine, so this left handed charging handle is part of that. And I have an auto bolt release to install on the 10/22 as well. The mag release will remain different.

Here’s where I got the rail/charging handle.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Advantage-Charging-Handle-and-Picatinny-Rail-for-Ruger®-1022®_p_216.html

Tandemkross makes a lot of aftermarket parts for competitions such as Steel Challenge. I think this part is supposed to make clearing jams and light strikes faster, and that’s important for these kinds of competitions. I just prefer to operate the gun that way.

A 50 cal minigun. Oh, I want one. Heck it might be a 20mm.
I'm right handed and a bit ambidextrous. I'm left eye dominate. I shoot rifle, bow and arrow and pool left handed. I can play pool right handed if I have too. I shoot a handgun with my right hand. Weak hand is not a problem. I can bat right or left and I throw right handed. I'm all confused.

Last edited:
A 50 cal minigun. Oh, I want one. Heck it might be a 20mm.
I'm right handed and a bit ambidextrous. I'm left eye dominate. I shoot rifle, bow and arrow and pool left handed. I can play pool right handed if I have too. I shoot a handgun with my right hand. Weak hand is not a problem. I can bat right or left and I throw right handed. I'm all confused.
It’s a 20mm
My friend owns Dillon Aero, per him it’s a 20 used for shooting sea mines.

Tried the tandem Kross trigger for the 1022, it sucked. Went with timney got a perfect 2.5# pull. Your 1022 looks great should make a nice backpack rifle. Best thing about ruger 1022 one can shape it in many ways. I just rebuilt mine for small bore silhouette. Getting nice groups with match ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_150248329.jpg
    IMG_20220727_150248329.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
It’s a 20mm
My friend owns Dillon Aero, per him it’s a 20 used for shooting sea mines.
I don't want to disagree with Mr. Dillon when it comes to Gatling guns, but that picture looks quite like a GAU-19/A to me which would make it a .50 BMG. Two characteristic details are the triangular slotted flash suppressor and the protruding cylinder that looks like it might be the electric motor.
The 20mm M197 looks different, the M195 and M61 even more so (6 barrels).

(I assume the discussion is about the picture from post 2967).

Reinhard

Here's a nice Ozark Trail flashlight I got at Walmart years ago and I liked it so much that I got more as gifts for my friends and family.

View attachment 564527
:)
Just a quick follow-up that I went by my local Walmart yesterday and a similar version of the flashlight I noted a while back was on clearance for under $10!
20230311_121406.jpg

I was looking at Gun Broker and the PSA website. AK's are over $1000. Holy mackerel. I paid $300 for my wife's Ak. But that was about 25 years ago. She said sell it. I have a Norinco AK-47. Again I paid about $300 for it many years ago. Found out they are worth a couple of thousand now. The furniture is Magpul and it came with the AK74 brake. Used to have a Slide Fire on it. Wife's is a Romar and is stock. When I bought the one I gave to my wife. I thought how is she going to take me buying it. So I told her it was hers. Did the same thing with a Glock 19. She needed something besides her Ruger SP101 .357 anyway.20230312_235630[2133].jpg

Update: Turns out I had the right key all along. One of the pin springs in the lock had failed so I couldn't get the key to unlock the lock. Discovered that when I went to start picking the lock. Since it couldn't be picked I got all the tools ready to drill it out. Put the centerpunch in the middle where I had to drill and on the first light tap with the hammer the back fell out of the lock😲. I think they used too much butter in the alloy of the lock housing. Now I need to find a more serious lock.

In the meantime ammo has been removed and secured elsewhere.

This whole exercise has been a great education on how insecure tubular locks can be. I think I'll switch back to something more conventional and robust.

I might pick up a larger safe whilst I am at it. This one is way too cramped.

Here are some pictures of the 10/22 I got a couple of weeks ago.

I got a picatinny rail with an integrated mechanism for a left-handed charging handle. So I’ve put that on, and I temporarily mounted the open reticle red dot sight from my PC Carbine on it. It’s a bit big for this gun, so I will probably try something else on the 10/22, but I wanted to get something on here to use for now.

View attachment 565088

Here’s the rail with the left side charging handle. The factory charging handle is still on the right. When you pull back on the left, the little piece on the right comes back and engages the right side “real” handle and pulls it back too. When shooting the gun, only the right side reciprocates. It’s not what I would call perfect, but it’s pretty good, and it’s the only solution I found for left side charging handles.

View attachment 565089

It’s a takedown model.

View attachment 565090

The breech end of the barrel tucks into a rubber socket in the stock, and the fore end snaps into the cutout in the stock. It holds together like that and makes a very compact package.

View attachment 565091

The stock has a storage compartment.

View attachment 565092

You can fit 3 mags in there. Or remove a divider and fit 1 mag and a box of ammo.

View attachment 565093

This seems like it’s going to be a lot of fun.
The mag storage is a heck of an idea! Wish it was incorporated into the standard stock.

The mag storage is a heck of an idea! Wish it was incorporated into the standard stock.

Pretty cool, right? And this model actually comes with all of the spare mags included, which is nice.

The hinged comb piece that is the lid to the mag storage compartment is removable and can be replaced with a high comb for using an optic. The high comb is included, so I popped that on after taking these pics, and the gun fits me perfectly now when using the red dot. I’ve bought 3 guns in the past few years, and this one is the most ergonomic one so far.

There’s another storage compartment I forgot to mention before. It’s pretty small. It’s in the grip section of the stock and has a waterproof seal. I haven’t put anything in there yet, but I think it would be a good place for the hex keys and other small tools for taking down the gun or maybe some kind of cleaning tools. Not much can fit in there.

This week I have been on an ammo buying spree. I bought 300 rounds of top end 30.06 ammo. About $550. I found some 30-30 ammo on Midway and bought a box, $37 ouch. Bought 100 rounds of 9mm defensive ammo and 500 rounds of FMJ. Been looking at Gun Broker. Some good prices on ammo lately. Looking at some heavy 5.56. 68 to 77 grain all BTHP or OTM. I plan on doing some shooting when it warms up and the wind slows down.

This week I have been on an ammo buying spree. I bought 300 rounds of top end 30.06 ammo. About $550. I found some 30-30 ammo on Midway and bought a box, $37 ouch. Bought 100 rounds of 9mm defensive ammo and 500 rounds of FMJ. Been looking at Gun Broker. Some good prices on ammo lately. Looking at some heavy 5.56. 68 to 77 grain all BTHP or OTM. I plan on doing some shooting when it warms up and the wind slows down.
Have you considered reloading? You can get started with a single stagr press, especially a used one, for fairly cheap. Combine that wit a hand primer, and you can put together ammo as good as factory, but for a lot less. A lot of the steps can be done sitting on the couch watching TV. The problem I've run into is that in times of severe ammo shortages, there is a similar shortage of components.

Picked up 440 rounds of .30-06 from Royal Tiger Imports on our way back from Florida. And another 192 rounds in enbloc clips in bandoliers in a spam can all sealed up from the Korean War era.
$420.00 for the Italian .30-06 440 rds. 10 boxes of 44. Seems kinda odd. But whatever. The boy likes shooting the Garand, so…
Just gotta do my research and see if the Italian stuff is non corrosive. Don’t remember.

i have used sgammo.com for more than a decade, while their prices are not ALWAYS the best, sometimes they are truly unbeatable. just be sure to check them out in your normal price comparisons along with gunbroker et al.

lately sgammo has had some good pricing on 338LM and 308win

just puttin it out there

I got another deal on Gun Broker. 200 Sierra Outdoor Master 124 grain 9mm . Bid was $77. Delivered $110. These prices are like potato chips. Once you have had one you can't stop. I really don't need 500 .45 FMJ or 500 68 grain 5.56 match. But it's cheap. And after the shortage I'm building up a big stockpile. I keep telling myself, you have plenty. And then I answer, you can't have too much.

Have you considered reloading? You can get started with a single stagr press, especially a used one, for fairly cheap. Combine that wit a hand primer, and you can put together ammo as good as factory, but for a lot less. A lot of the steps can be done sitting on the couch watching TV. The problem I've run into is that in times of severe ammo shortages, there is a similar shortage of components.
I have considered it. Many years ago. But me being me I wanted a Dillon 650. Back then ammo wasn't expensive and the initial expense kept me from doing it.

Back