Gun xase or reload case!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 full size rifle cases, one from Gander Mtn for 60$. Great case,very sturdy ,the other from guncases.com for 20$ shipped. really cheaper quality but you get what you pay for. I felt no need to make the foam cut outs.

I gave up on cutting the foam when I realized there wouldn't be much left.

casing case2.jpg

I started out with the gun case route, when I realized that it's far too much bulk, especially as the number of cases increases.

Instead, I had my wife sew flannel sleeves and I keep the cases in those. I then put the cases I need for a given day in the bag I use to haul parachutes, or in a bucket, to take them too the launch.

I never haul all my cases, anyway -- far, far too much to take, when I won't use even 1/4 of them at any given launch.

-Kevin

Very nice!

So what do you use to cut out the foam?

Greg

In my past life of commercial photography (29 years), there was always a need to cut new inserts for the case of choice at that time, Zero-Halliburton. Diced foam wasn't known of then, so you would take the insert and put it in a deep freezer overnight pre-marked where the items needed to be placed. Then the next day you would take the frozen insert and with a serrated knife slice out the pre-marked shapes. The results were extremely precise and much better than anything you would ever get using diced foam today.

Kent/GLR

If you have someone that can do sewing for you- you could make something like this but sized to fit your cases:

apic1_lg.jpg

I started out with the gun case route, when I realized that it's far too much bulk, especially as the number of cases increases.

Instead, I had my wife sew flannel sleeves and I keep the cases in those. I then put the cases I need for a given day in the bag I use to haul parachutes, or in a bucket, to take them too the launch.

I never haul all my cases, anyway -- far, far too much to take, when I won't use even 1/4 of them at any given launch.

-Kevin

I was just about to go out and get a Pelican gun case (thanks to the OP - this is a GREAT idea, by the way), but Kevin's post made me realize that I do pretty much what he does... I never bring all my cases (or rockets) to a launch. The volume of space would be significant, even with my (small) trailer. For storage, my 29/38mm cases fit in divided organizers (attach #1), 54/75mm fit in tube socks, and 98mm in rifle sleeves (attach #2). With 54mm and up motors, I usually have the motor decided in advance, and they often travel to launches in the rocket they are scheduled to fly in.

But the gun case would be way cool, as well as offer extreme protection, if you have the space.

Screen shot 2011-11-22 at 1.18.30 PM.png

bore-storex300.jpg

pelican-1780rf-weapons-case-2741.jpg

Last edited:
If you have someone that can do sewing for you- you could make something like this but sized to fit your cases:

apic1_lg.jpg

That works great....if you only have a few cases.

But toss even a single 54, 75 or 98 case in there, and it becomes unwieldy.

-Kevin

I gave up on cutting the foam when I realized there wouldn't be much left.

Bill;

I like the layout! What did you use to attach the motor cases to the gun case? Is it pieces of MMT?

Last edited:
I've found Plano Case (clear case) good for 29 mm and 38 mm motors and Stanley Case (black case) for 54 mm motors. All found at Rocket (Home) Depot.

Plano Case 1.jpg

Plano Case 2.jpg

Stanley 1.jpg

Stanley 2.jpg

Nice thanks... couple of questions though; what did you use to cut the tubes and what size did you purchase? I have 29mm and 38mm cases.

as 29mm is 1.14" in, I used the 1.36" for it, and 38mm is 1.5", I used th 1.63" for them. It cuts with good heavy scissors, or sharp utility kife. I like the square end caps, as they do not roll that way. Right now, after putting my cases in these, I just throw the ones I want to take in a small duffle bag.

Mike

Last edited:
Related subject... How does everyone store and transport their reloads? As I am accumulating more and more stuff, I need a new way to organize and transport both Estes BP motors (around 50 on hand at the moment) and CTI reloads from 29-54mm. I was thinking about something along the lines of deep plano organizers in one of those organizer carrier bag things...

Plastic totes,either hinged or removeable lids. I have one full of reloads and one full of Estes D's

I recently bought a Husky toolbox from Home Depot that was designed to carry power tools. It's a standard 22 inches wide, about 12 inches tall, and about 12 inches deep. I removed the tray to make room for more reloads and cases and I can still only get my 29 and 38mm cases and reloads in it. If I move up into the 54 mm cases, I will need another toolbox.

Husky Wide Body 22" Tool Box

I have a plastic utility box that both sides drop down,, and it has small pull out drawers on the sides. Estes engines fit in perfectly upright, the drawers hold igniters, wadding sheets, ect. the other side is for snap rings, o ring ect for HP stuff.

Back