Gun Cleaner for Casings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
I keep hearing great things about gun cleaner for casings. Was wondering if there are any recommendations for a particular brand of gun cleaner or what I should be looking for? I don't own any guns and know next to nothing about maintaining them so I have nary a clue what I am doing :dontknow:. Thanks

Last edited:
If you work on cars, Brakleen brake cleaner works well. Just a little spray and wipe it down. Removes all of the "gunk" without any effort.

I use Ed's Red. One part each of Automatic Trans. Fluid, Alephatic Mineral Spirits, Deoderized Kerosine, and Acetone.

So here's a weird thing...ordered some Hoppes from Amazon and a few days later Amazon refunded the purchase as undeliverable. Must've been damaged in transit.

I haven't had any issues. I spray it on and wipe it out. Once all of the gunk is gone, I wash in soap and water. At most it is only in contact for 30 seconds. I clean cases either at the field when the case is still warm and use baby wipes, or right when I get home. I only use Brakleen for the more stubborn stuff.

Butch’s Bore Shine works well for me, doesn’t attack anodizing.

Guess I've been lucky. All my AT cases have come clean with baby wipes or soapy water and a toothbrush.

How soon after use do you clean them? I think that has a lot to do with the ease of cleaning. Sooner is better than later (and goes completely against my personal philosophy "why put it off until tomorrow, when you can put it off until the day after tomorrow"

How soon after use do you clean them? I think that has a lot to do with the ease of cleaning. Sooner is better than later (and goes completely against my personal philosophy "why put it off until tomorrow, when you can put it off until the day after tomorrow"

Ding Ding Ding
We have a winner!
The sooner you clean the case the easier it is to clean.

Don’t know anything about rocket cases but I know gun cleaners. For the bore, I use Ballistol (favorite with WW2 vets), especially here in the humid tropics. To get the copper fouling out, I’ll occasionally use homemade Ed’s Red solvent. In the upper receiver, I use electronic cleaner because it lacks acetone. Never liked the smell of Hoppes #9. YMMV

I'm not sure why gun cleaners would be particuarly good for cleaning propellant residue unless you were working with NC based propellants. The solvents are a bit specific.

Ballistol, I don't know. I haven't used it for that purpose.

I prefer to clean cases while still hot, and an ammonia based cleaner tends to work. Don't soak and don't waste time! Soaking would damage the surface of the case. I'm not going to tell you this is completely safe for your case.

Use with a large nylon bristle brush and an electric drill. Sort of like a test tube cleaner on steroids. You can get the brushes at least up to sizes where you can just skip the brush and stick your arm in the case easily. Cut the loop handle off the end and chuck it up. Get caveman with it! Then when basically done can wrap paper shop towel or similar on outside of brush and run that through. There are probably better cleaners, but it works well enough for me. If one cleaner doesn't work well for some reason, clean it up, switch it out to something else.

Don't use chlorine based cleaners. That would probably pit your case in relatively short time.

Gerald

Don’t know anything about rocket cases but I know gun cleaners. For the bore, I use Ballistol (favorite with WW2 vets), especially here in the humid tropics. To get the copper fouling out, I’ll occasionally use homemade Ed’s Red solvent. In the upper receiver, I use electronic cleaner because it lacks acetone. Never liked the smell of Hoppes #9. YMMV

Ballistol works great, but...it really stinks! works on leather too!

I keep hearing great things about gun cleaner for casings.
I hadn't heard that. Good to know. But...
Was wondering if there are any recommendations for a particular brand of gun cleaner or what I should be looking for?
What, you mean there's more than one?

I've been using Hoppes #9
Yeah, that's gun cleaner. Gun cleaner = Hoppes, Hoppes = gun cleaner, right?

I hadn't heard that. Good to know. But...What, you mean there's more than one?

Yeah, that's gun cleaner. Gun cleaner = Hoppes, Hoppes = gun cleaner, right?

I haven't used Hoppes since they reformulated, way back when. I loved the smell (butyl acetate??). I found the Gospel of Ed Harris, and now only use Ed's Red.

Does it not harm the anodizing or silk screen lettering?
CRC Brakleen doesn't seem to be bad on paint and plastic as long as it isn't left to soak.
I have used some other brands that contained toluene though and that will definitely bother paint and probably silk screen ink.
The brands I found with toluene were Toyota and one sold by advanced auto parts.
This was a while ago, things might have changed.

No organic solvent, few acids and even fewer alkalies will bother the anodizing. Some may bother the dye that is applied afterward, which is only cosmetic. The important bit is the coating of aluminum oxide, and aluminum oxide don't give a crap about gun cleaner or brake cleaner.

I use one of those brushes for dryer vents. Comes with screw-together fiberglass extensions. Brush is big enough for large cases. And a power screw driver set at slow speed.

Real fun starts when the case is big enough to stick your arm in it.

Back