guitarists?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
Any of you guys or girls guitarists? If so what type of music do you like to play? I like to play The Beatles, and The Doors, and many more, too many to name. I've been playing for about 5 yrs. you guys know those black suits the Beatles wore, what were they called? I know they weren't called leisure suits, I'd like to get one, like at a yard sale or a thrift store, my hair is getting almost as long as theirs was, in about "64".
Woohooo Beatlemania.:)

hey Gerbs, I too am a guitarist, been playing since I was 5, so 35 years. it comes and goes though, lately I haven't been playing much - listening more. Beatles are very cool and were DEFINITELY an early influence. I remember hearing and enjoying their records when I was really young... lessee, I was 4 when my mom bought "Strawberry Fields Forever", on 45. I got a Gene Autry 45. I wanted to be a real cowboy so bad.

But the Beatles outfits were the coolest! good luck finding anything like that. although it might be so old it's cool again.

I got the guitar bug in college, so that means I've been playing for twenty years *eep!*
Old school punk is my thing - four chords played really loud... and of course The Velvet Underground... though the one band I actually played in was more of a middle-of-the-road sort of sound. (We were my favorite band, though!)

Haven't played much the last few months, though.

I've got an old Fender Jaguar and a Telecaster knockoff I got for cheap.

I haven't touched my bass guitar in a year or so but I sure think about it plenty... I played quite a bit in high school & college (got TONS of music credits for classes I took!) but I've forgotten more music theory than I could ever remember...

But even if I never played again (or how much my wife asks me to get rid of it), the only way I'm separating myself from my '74 Rickenbacker 4001 is when you pry it from my cold blue fingers ;)

Another one here. Been playing since I was 14, so about 15 years now off and on.
Had a band for about 3 years but that ended 2 years ago.
Mostly play radio rock stuff: Fuel, Nickelback, Matchbox 20, Pearl Jam. That sort of thing. I also sing. Actually I prefer singing over playing, but usually do both. Played bass for a while after our bass player quit.
Have an ESP electric, Ovation acoustic, and Ibanez bass.
Old Fender power chorus amp.
I also still have the PA. Anyone wanna start a band. ;)

Tim

Speaking of muscians, one of our own TRF'ers is a professional muscian. TRF's marclee is a touring country artist. He was the opening act for Dwight Yoachim (sp) for awhile. I haven't seen Marc around on the forums in quite awhile. Life must've gotten in the way. I bought his CD and it is REALLY good! It's kind of a Rockabilly, Roy Orbison kinda sound. If you guys like the Beatles, I think you'd probably like Marc's stuff too.

Yeap! I've had one Axe or another since the early 60's, Rock n Roll dud!:D
Still have my Fender Strat, and OLD tube Silvertone 6-10 Amp. had it crankin last night (wife working late). Wa-Fuzz-Phaser etc..
Lately, over the last few years (10), I've mostly been plunkin my 12 string or 6 string classic. More ballades, John Denver, America, and Eagles and such, than in the Day 3-dog night , Led Zeplin, Doobee's, & The Ventures" My heros!!! **** them bowl topped lad's, the Doors are OK:) Sticking instead with the Beach boys... Ha yes the Good old days:D:D Pipe line, Malguania, Walk-don't-Run, Wipeout...Dang my finger hurt just thinking about a set!!! still a tenor but can't hit the high E's anymore:( The Chaparrals forever..shot you guys wouln't have heard of us..just a small local group. theme song.. what else "Roadrunner" Beep-Beep! :D
Fun City!! Guitarzan!!

cool, I dont play guitar, but I love the music you guys have mentioned. Others I love to listen too and have great guitar parts are; Led Zepplin, Van Halen, Deep Purple, and Brian Setzer

I think I fall into the category of "Born Again Guitarist" (BAG???). Started when I was 7, stopped for a while and got very serious at about 13. Was in a few bands in high school and took music theory, but had an injury to my left index finger as a senior and that put the kibash on any serious plans. Still took a few theory courses in college, but also have long since forgotten that. I've taken to playing quite often over the past year or so as my 9 year old daughter has been learning piano. Was a devoted Led Zeppelin fanatic in the 70s, got into the Dead later in high school, then punk, mostly the Clash; in college loved REM and the Replacements.
John, I also love that Dick Dale surf guitar! Love to play Beatles tunes, and bluesey stuff. My favorite guitarist now is Richard Thompson, who is incredible. Also like Marshall Crenshaw for great power pop. The Led Zeppelin DVD and live CD really floored me last year, great stuff
I still have a '74 Gibson Midnight Special (my first electric), and a nice D'Agostino acoustic. In high school I had a '70 Les Paul and a copy 6-12 doubleneck (I really wanted to be Jimmy Page!); sold those in college for beer money!
Drew Tomko

How about Electric Bass? I started playing in 8th grade.. in a High School cover band. Played all through HS and college, was in a number of bands. Started writing and singing as well. This was the 1980s so I played new wave and punk. Everything from the Clash to U2, to REM, to really weird stuff. In college I was in a couple of bands, playing originals or highly altered cover tunes. I played in a 1980's retro cover band in the mid 1990's. I old all of my equipment in 1996: Vox bass AMPS, a Vox bass, Rickenbacker 4001 Bass, 1956 Fender Precision. I have not played in years now...

I played bass in a couple of bands as well; my guitar teacher back then taught me a bunch of bass progressions. I liked it a lot. Loved those Rickenbacker basses (was the 4001 the type Chris Squire in Yes used??), but only had a P-bass copy.
DT

Oh, yes the 4001 was used by Chris Squire. It had a really distinctive sound. The pickups were pretty wimpy however, so you needed to be pushing 150-200 watts in order to be heard. I had a black/white model, and replaced the pickup guard and headstock nameplate with black factory replacements, so it was all black.

I never took lessons, I just practiced a few hours a day, and learned by ear. I cannot even read music!! I actually was pretty good for a while there. My fav Bass player was the late-great OX: John Entwhistle of the WHO. I used to spend hours playing along to early WHO recordings, and going for that 'piano' sound that John had...

I wandered into a guitar shop recently, and caught myself looking at $600.00 basses. I hurried out quickly before I got divorced!! ;)

Fred

Fred,
Entwhistle and Squire were my two favs; I liked their sound and the fact that they didn't stay in the background. When I first got a bass, I asked my teacher to teach me the bass part in "Roundabout." He laughed for about 20 minutes!
DT

cool there are more guitarists here then I thought:)
I've got a Crate Amp(small practice one)like 15W or 25W, a Cort acoustic guitar and a Aria Pro II Electric. I was looking at a Rickenbacker guitar, man was I in heaven,

Been playing about 18 years. Own 10 electrics and 3 acoustics, including 2 Ibanez JCustoms, 2 Ibanez Jems, an Ibanez Universe, a Les Paul, a Telecaster and a Taylor 714CE. Two Rivera heads (TBR-1SL and S120, both stereo), an H&K Tube 100, various cabs, stompboxes (including a Keeley compressor, which I can't live without), rack fx units, etc. etc. I play the stuff I hear in my head.

-bill

Allright...I need to set up a few challenges...

Can anyone play Layla? Eric Clapton, in my humble opinion, is the best guitarrist of all time. His works spanned many genres, and tons of huge hits.

And bassists, ever heard of Les Claypool of Primus? He is worth listening to! The music is kind of strange, but they have a lot of skill.

I personally don't play, but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

I started playing guitar, back in '82 - when I was 12. Started playing Sex Pistols/Clash/Damned/Buzzcocks/Toy Dolls etc. Me and a couple of mates ended up forming a band, The Orgasmic Bananas. Our gigs were chaos - we hardly rehearsed, we'd all be blind drunk and/or stoned. Often we'd go on stage with a member missing 'cos they were being sick or passed out.

Most of us helped out other local bands with lugging gear, changing broken strings during gigs & that; so we were always getting to hear about the last minute slots becoming free, when one of the bands has dropped out. Although we were dreadful, we got quite a cult following, and were together & gigging for about 3 years (86-89).

Our line-up varied, but included (at one time or another); Chaos from Chaos UK's auntie, Vanessa Redgrave's cousin, and a chap who went on to be the English voice coach on the Spanish version of Fame Acadamy.

During a lineup-reshuffle, we were left bassist-less, and I took up the bass. As a big fan of reggae, I got right into the bass - reggae basslines are so much fun to play. I also used to practice the intro to Maiden's "Phantom of the Opera", at least 10 mins a day to get used to playing at breakneck speed.

The OX is my fave bassist. He was so SOLID. The Who were a lucky band. Not only were they blessed with one of the best bassists ever, they had the best drummer yet. Stick on Whos Next, or better still the 2CD reissue of Live at Leeds, and concentrate on the drums - pure genius!

Its good to see The Clash getting mentioned by so many people as an influence:
"And I keep listening to the great Joe Strummer
cause through music, we can live forever" - Rancid, Indestructable.

I don't *play* guitar (took lessons, but... :) ), but I have *designed* one...

...and my daughter and son took 1st place paddling it around a lake...

Here's the construction essay. I actually got an email from a guitarists who builds *real* guitars and said we did an incredible job and actually built it like a *real* guitar :)

https://jflis.com/leisure/canoeing/boat_2000/dreadnot.htm

My daughter (Jen) is an accompished guitarist and I love to listen to her play.

jim

Originally posted by DPatell
Allright...I need to set up a few challenges...

Can anyone play Layla? Eric Clapton, in my humble opinion, is the best guitarrist of all time. His works spanned many genres, and tons of huge hits.

And bassists, ever heard of Les Claypool of Primus? He is worth listening to! The music is kind of strange, but they have a lot of skill.

I personally don't play, but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

hmm hmm....Clapton is great, but Jimi is the best.......

MrMicro: THE VENTURES!! Yes!! I collected SURF records very heavily in the 1980s. I have over 100 Ventures records alone!! (Including 'Learn How to play Guitar/Bass with the Ventures") I also played a 'Ventures' model Mosrite Bass for years... Plus, you cannot forget the hotrod music that came out of the surf scene either...

Dtomko: Yes, Chris Squire is one incredibly talented bass player. Roundabout has a rollicking bass line.

Cybermaster: One of the PUNK bands that I was a member of was called: IRON WOMBAT... for no particular reason... We avoided practice intentionally, played a mix of originals and bizarrely altered cover tunes. There was ALWAYS a punked up version of a 1965-66 WHO song (like LIES, or CIRCLES) and a surf beat or two. The singer was a punk maniac, but the three musicians: me on guiter, (because I could NOT play) the drummer and a bassist, were all more into mod/ska stuff. We like to say that we sounded like a train wreck, and we submitted reviews of ourselves to the local music paper under false names. It was just plain fun.

I later joined a serious guitar based pop band, that played all originals, but it was not as fun and SOOOO serious (These guys wer ARTISTS!!) so we parted ways...

Fred

I dunno.....

Layla
Tears in Heaven
My Fathers Eyes
Wonderful Tonight
Bell Bottom Blues
Change the World
Cocaine
Lay Down Sally
Forever Man
and Don't forget Crossroads with BB King...or The Calling with Santana...

If you say Hendrix, then you got quite the argument against you;)

Hendrix is good tho!

;)

I play a lot of Zeppelin and Hendrix and anything else from the late 60's on up that's guitar driven, along with my original noodling. I have a Les Paul, an Ovation, and two Strats. I mostly play the LP. There's something really cool about having ten pounds of mahogony and maple slung low and driving a good tube amp. If anybody has a LP that they don't play cause "it's too heavy", please donate it to me. I like 'em heavy...don't send one that's weight relieved. Don't worry, I have a strong back. :D

BTW, Micromister, I also have an old Silvertone tube amp, but it has long since needed new caps and tubes so it sits all lonely in the corner.

tim

Man, this is bringing back memories!
Tim, speaking of heavy guitars, the Ventura SG doubleneck I had had a body as thick as a LP. It weighed a ton! Had a '70 deluxe LP with large humbuckers. Nice cherry sunburst, but it had that multi piece maple top. I sold it in the early 80s for not very much money. It was pretty heavy, but what sustain.
Fred, 100 Ventures records! That's great! For a while Ventures' record covers looked like ads for Fender!
I'm proud to say that my 6 year old son can name all the members of Led Zeppelin, and will tell you that his favorite Page solo is in "The Ocean." Doesn't impress his friends much, but mine think it's a riot!
Drew

I have a Fender Strat. In fact I sold off a bunch of my older rockets to buy it. This was about 8-10 yrs ago. Started taking lessons, but then time and money eluded me so I didn't continue. Would love to play the blues, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Stevie Ray Vaughn. I also love Styx, Rush, Collective Soul, Queensryche. Would love to play all that.

Rocketry is my 'second' hobby, music is my 'first'. Been playing guitar for 25 years, joined a new band in January, had six months of a needed break before that, and 15 straight years of playing prior to that. I double, or triple I guess on Bass, and Keyboards. I put together a nice digital studio in my basement for my own entertainment. I have a ton of gear, but all of it has been paid for through money earned while playing.
I must say that rocketry tends to be quite a bit less expensive, at least so far! I am currently trying to figure out how to scratch build a flying Strat, so I enjoyed the floating Dreadnaught idea.

Originally posted by cydermaster

The OX is my fave bassist. He was so SOLID. The Who were a lucky band. Not only were they blessed with one of the best bassists ever, they had the best drummer yet. Stick on Whos Next, or better still the 2CD reissue of Live at Leeds, and concentrate on the drums - pure genius!

Its good to see The Clash getting mentioned by so many people as an influence:
"And I keep listening to the great Joe Strummer
cause through music, we can live forever" - Rancid, Indestructable.

Don't forget Daltrey, one of the most powerful voices rock has ever produced. And of course, the great Pete Townshend - IM-not-so-HO the best writer period.

And ditto what you say about The Clash and Joe Strummer... and add on the Ramones and the late lamented Joey.

Music was one of my first hobbies, too. I still have a '73 Les Paul Deluxe from college. I routed it out for regular-size humbuckers about 12 years ago and put in Seymour Duncans. :D
Still play but not nearly as much.

Back