guitarists?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by graylensman
Don't forget Daltrey, one of the most powerful voices rock has ever produced. And of course, the great Pete Townshend - IM-not-so-HO the best writer period.
True. The Ox & The Loon showed their musical talents from day 1 (eg. "Substitute", "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", "Cobwebs & strange"), but it took Roger 'till the Tommy/Monterey Pop/Whos Next era to really find his full potential. Once he found it, we were in for a right treat ("Won't get fooled again", "Long live rock", "Behind blue eyes"). :D

Technically I'd have to say that the greatest solo songwriter yet goes to Zappa, but Townsend is much more accessable to the average listener, and much less 'Muso'. I've always prefered partnerships: Strummer/Jones, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant, Lennon/McCartney. Having two geniuses in a group does help! ;)

Originally posted by graylensman
And ditto what you say about The Clash and Joe Strummer... and add on the Ramones and the late lamented Joey.
"And I say to myself,
what a wonderful world" - Joey Ramone, Wonderful World

"Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom? -
'Cause all I ever had:
Redemption songs" - Redemtion Song. Orignialy Bob Marley, but Joe Strummer recorded a corking version just before his death, which is on the Streetcore album. Joe also recorded a version of Redemption Song with Johnny Cash, at about the same time. That is well worth 'Napster-ing', if you can find it. ;)

hey that clip was pretty good. if you like that kind of guitar playing ("fingerstyle") let me suggest you check out Don Ross (Canadian guy). Awesome baritone guitar, fingerstyle, and good compositions too. Seminal in that style was Michael Hedges - he was the Jimi of acoustic guitar, modern fingerstyle - but IMO many others have gone way beyond.

also I gotta put in a plug for Steve Morse. anyone else here a Dregs fan? woo hoo!! And for the bass players, how about Dave LaRue? Andy West? Victor Wooten?!??

Figured I'd chip in....I play acoustic and some electric. I have a Washburn D-10 Acoustic, an Ovation Celebrity-Deluxe TigerTop 2001 limited edition a/e, and a POS-9000 electric....I don't even wanna say the brand. You guitarists will get this...it's a Rouge by Squire ...how crappy is that?!? I can't say much, though. It was free from a friend. I love classic rock...Van Halen, Lynrd Skynrd, etc.... and I'm the biggest Jimmy Buffett fan ever. Almost all the albums, and 5 concerts under my belt. Anyone going to see him in Charlotte in April????

My real love is jazz, though...I'm a saxophone player. I plan on majoring in @ USC-Columbia.

I found it... an actual "Lousy" picture of the Band..Go-Go girls and all which should help date the photo:) Yeah thats me at the mike.
I'm not sure who took the photo.. manager maybe.. but the little brunette dancing ended up as my first (x) wife:( OH lord the memories:D:D:D

Micromister... to quote The Central Scrutinizer: "Music-heartbreak-disease-they all go together!"*

The one really serious band i was in, the lineup was two girls and two boys (we were in mid-20s). The bassist (f)and drummer (m) ended up shacking up, then breaking up; the other guitarist was an alcoholic not doing well with sobriety: when my pregnant wife was placed on bedrest, i had to cancel a gig; not only did I receive a drunken rant from this guitarist (about how i should still play because if the baby is going to be stillborn, there's nothing I could do about it whether i'm with the band or my wife), <i>but so did my wife</i>.

Yup, that was pretty much the end of the Wharf Rats....
:mad:

hey gerbs, count me in - been playing guitar since I was 13. I played in bar bands around NW Iowa for over 20 years. Got out of the band business in 97. Too many DJs and not enough bars that want to hire live bands around here anymore. I still play on a daily basis for fun (and therapy!). I've got an Ovation Legend 12 string and a 1971 Fender Telecaster. Sold all my big guns so I play through a Pignose amp now. Play a lot of Beatles, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Bob Seeger and Eagles.
Rockets, Guitars and Harleys! what more in life could a guy ask for??!!

there's nothing better for the soul than picking away on your guitar after a stressful day of work!!
I understand that it will also fend off old age related diseases like Alzheimers, has someting to do with the brain activity involved in making music.

Now my son is learning to play the piano - its fun to sit with him and jam! Finally got an audience that is truly impressed with my guitar playing! :D

Yeah: the wife still loves to hear me play John Denver's "this Old guitar" on the 12 string, but the kids were never that impressed unless I cranked up the electric:)
Keeps your finger nimble thou:)

Back