Guitar painting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graylensman

Reaction score
I don't know where to start this thread, but the coffee house seemed most logical.

I'm going to paint my electric guitar (currently red, going to black). I had bought it third-hand. Upon removing neck, bridge and pickguard, I discover that the current coat of red apparently had been applied directly to the original finish, which looks to be a sunburst.

I was going to strip the paint, then prime and paint, but now I'm not so sure. Any ideas?

Wow... apprecticed with a guiter builder in the mid 1980s, so here is one that I can actually help out with!!

Paint -wise: Since you do not know what type of paint was used on the second coat, I would suggest stripping it. It could be laquer, it could be acrylic, or it could be enamel..... Your new top coat may eat into it, or it may react only after a period of years.

Electric Guitar-wise, I also believe it should be stripped. Even though the sound of an electric is amplified electrically, the guitar is still 'alive' in a sense. What I mean is tha the type of wood, the finish, the size and shape of the body, all contribute to the sound that is amplified.

A triple layer of paint may adversly affect your sound.

Originally posted by astronboy
A triple layer of paint may adversly affect your sound.

actually, I adversly affect my sound. :D Thanks for the input - I will follow your advice!

Back