Guess who won the Space Station name competition?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stephen Colbert.

But the bigger question is if NASA will really name the node that, in light of the mass-herded write-ins.

Although, he has indeed been involved with ISS. Cannot recall the name but he did a remote interview with one of the ISS astronauts last year (that is, the astronaut was being interviewed while aboard ISS).

- George Gassaway

That modules also contains the 'facilities'. There was some talk of just naming the toilet after him. It could be the "Colbert Can".

Excellent! That would be hilarious if they let it go through. I wonder if Jon Stewart is pissed...

I voted for him! Stephen Colbert and Roxannne West are the only reporters I trust anymore.

I guess I could go on and on about the stupidity of this. It goes hand in hand with all the other political bung in Washington right now. Colbert is an idiot and the people who listen to him for anything other than entertainment value are idiots as well. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if NASA does go ahead and name this thing after Colbert, I vote for pulling all funding and let the fiscal responsibility for NASA fall to Hollywood.

Going ahead with this is will cause NASA to lose all credibility in my eyes. They had better back out of this in a hurry and declare an "oops".

I guess I could go on and on about the stupidity of this. It goes hand in hand with all the other political bung in Washington right now. Colbert is an idiot and the people who listen to him for anything other than entertainment value are idiots as well. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if NASA does go ahead and name this thing after Colbert, I vote for pulling all funding and let the fiscal responsibility for NASA fall to Hollywood.

Going ahead with this is will cause NASA to lose all credibility in my eyes. They had better back out of this in a hurry and declare an "oops".

Please list the names of all the Apollo command modules and LEMs and then tell us your opinion of the names and their effect on NASA and anything else you would like to tell us about.

Here is where you can find the lists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Module#Lunar_Modules_produced
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Command_Module#CSMs_produced

Sssh, don't tell him what the Space Shuttle Enterprise was named after. ;)

Sssh, don't tell him what the Space Shuttle Enterprise was named after. ;)
Or the last orbiter built, "Endeavour". They mis-spelled it the English way, also like how those English mis-spell color as "colour". One of these days we have got to force those English to learn how to spell in English!

And NASA named "Endeavour" in honor of some overseas foreign ship. That ship did not even have a Captain, it was run by a guy named Jimmy. A Cook! It is just like Commie Pinkos to not have a Captain!

That Cook, Jimmy, used that ship to discover some other unknown foreign continent that is as far away from America as you can get!

How incredibly Anti-American it all is to name an orbiter after that!

I also agree that NASA must NOT use a name that was selected by the MOST VOTES FROM THE PEOPLE! That is also ANTI-American!

signed,

- Floyd R. Turbo American!

"If God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have given us plaid shirts; I only kill in self defense—what would you do if a rabbit pulled a knife on you?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_R._Turbo

Floyd+R+Turbo.jpg

Last edited:
I'd never heard of the comedian before and was wondering why NASA was naming part of the station after a French cruiser - must be because it's supposed to be an international space station. :D

I think it's stupid name, and sure sign of the dumbing down of America, but I really don't care if they use it or not. Maybe it will get more people interested in the space program.

I think that you can be pretty certain they're not going to name the module "Colbert", and while I do think that Stephen Colbert is mighty funny, I think he played this "have my people do silly stuff" thing out already in the past (Wiki elephants page, and I think some other vote, IIRC).

I think that things were already pretty "dumbed down" before the Colbert people got into the act: the suggested choices were "Earthrise" (okay, that one's not too bad...), "Legacy", "Serenity", and "Venture" (ugh, yawn, ugh).

Personally, I think they should have named it "Node 4". Or perhaps in light of the fact that the other two nodes are named "Unity" and "Harmony", they should have gone with "Blinding Rage" or maybe "Generic Nice-Sounding Irrelevant Pap #3".

"Blinding Rage", I like that. :cool:

It seems NASA does need to work on names. But 50 years ago who would have thought that names like "Apollo" and "Saturn" would be cherished by the rocketry community. Hopefully "Aries" and "Orion" will achieve that.

Coulda been worse like

'Bubba Jay'
'Bobby Lee'
'Junior'
'Anheuser'
'Hound Dawg'

Good thing rednecks don't watch Colbert...
:D

Coulda been worse like

'Bubba Jay'
'Bobby Lee'
'Junior'
'Anheuser'
'Hound Dawg'

Good thing rednecks don't watch Colbert...
:D

We're usually too busy cleaning our firearms or putting liftkits on our trucks.

Did you all see the name options for the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL)?
sheesh. https://marsrovername.jpl.nasa.gov/PublicPoll/

Oh good lord. These are not the same people who took us to the moon, that's for sure. That took guts, and there sure aren't any guts apparent in their name choices.

I'm amazed we got "Ares" and "Orion", instead of something like "Inoffensive Joy" and "Stillness".

By the way, anyone annoyed at "Colbert" should Google the 4th-place finisher, "Xenu". A colleague informed me this afternoon that's from scientology.

Please list the names of all the Apollo command modules and LEMs and then tell us your opinion of the names and their effect on NASA and anything else you would like to tell us about.

Well, the overwhelming majority of the spacecraft were named by the crew.....not some Circus sideshow....... I can't speak for what the crew of Apollo 9 was thinking but I'd guess it had to do with the shape of the CSM and as far as Apollo 16, the story goes that Mattingly named it after the cartoon ghost because that is what the astronauts looked like in suits on the moon........

My point is, that the names are logical, traditional, personal and most importantly, not a joke. I'm not often offended by things, but this does.

Maybe I should just lighten up........:confused:

Its called "PR"

the more people read about NASA the better...
as long as it is not about something blowing up.

I bet they name the crapper after him myself. Also understand Colbert is a parody and wont let his own children watch the show because of some of the stupid things he has to say and dow.

Back