Guess what this is!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
I'll post two picks. If you know what it is, post only the first letter and whether it took one or two pics to figure it out. I suspect this will be a tough one. If nobody gets it pretty quickly I'll post more hints.......

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486006137.940502.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486006169.598120.jpg

It took both pics--RIM-8 TALOS

That would explain why I thought it might be a BBXI/II, the Talos motor was the first stage iirc.

Edit: Further research indicates its the one on display at Patriot Point Naval Museum, Charleston, SC (radio tower, google and Google Earth are your friend).

Last edited:
Ok........................if you guys are not gonna be better players...........I'm not gonna share my exciting finds with you!!!!

Correct answer would have been "T"

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486093964.386177.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486093988.044685.jpg

Yes it is a Patriots Point, and yes my daughter fits in the nozzle!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486094066.923527.jpg

Share your finds, this example of a Talos is one I was not aware of, AFAIK there are only like two on display that I know of (currently). You never know when the pictures will be useful to a scale modeller.

Hornet Driver or Rharshberger

I am guessing this is a RIM 8 "B", but I'm not sure on the "A-H" part.

Am I correctly identifying it as a "B"

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486096010.994900.jpg

A "D" would be my second guess.

Hornet Driver or Rharshberger

I am guessing this is a RIM 8 "B", but I'm not sure on the "A-H" part.

Am I correctly identifying it as a "B"

View attachment 310860

A "D" would be my second guess.

I am not as familiar with this missile as some others, but the B variant did away with the 4 Semi-Active Radar Homing antennas, as this particular missile is a display the variants with nuclear warheads can probably eliminated as well, so its a B or later model, the RIM-8 missile at White Sands appears to be the same model.

Edit: After finding another website devoted to the Talos I believe it may be a 8B (most likely due to smooth surface of warhead section, no fairings/bumps near rear on 4 sides) or 8D model, and it may be a nuclear warhead variant as the warhead section appears longer than some other photos I have seen, check out this website https://www.okieboat.com/Talos%20history.html

Last edited:
Thank you, that's the site I was using to help me guess B or D.

"T" - two pics

So, I posted the above was from just seeing and replying to the first post, not looing beyond that at the time.

Anyway, interesting semi-obscure rocket and photos to try to ID from.

Last edited:
OK, let's continue this with another rocket. Same rules are Lowpuller....

I'll post two picks. If you know what it is, post only the first letter and whether it took one or two pics to figure it out. I suspect this will be a tough one. If nobody gets it pretty quickly I'll post more hints.......

That means one letter, the first letter, not blurting out the name of what you think it is. :)

So... if you think it's a Lance missile, that would be "L". (massive hint - it's not a Lance).

So, this one will be from the top down.....

Pic 1:

3Y78iyI.jpg

Pic 2:
1UhoYw3.jpg

Last edited:
E - 1

Interesting note - The drawing of it on Wikipedia is by G. Harry Stine.

And we have a winner! Explorer-1

FgZO4Xq.jpg

The Wiki page, for those who'd like to take a look at the drawing and a lot of neat photos:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer_1

I would have also accepted "J", which applies to both names of the launch vehicle. Except I'd have asked for the last letter to confirm ("C" or "o", also "1" or "I"). Jupiter-C (Not Jupiter missile), which after-the-fact in orbiting Explorer-1 was renamed "Juno" (and later retroactively renamed Juno-I when Juno-II was created). "R" (for Redstone) would have not been accepted. :)

F8C547924.jpg

OK, so THAT did not last long. Anyone else want to try posting another one?

Last edited:
I'VE BEEN HIJACKED!

and I was just getting ready to give this thread a political twist....................I was gonna show pictures of politicians ears and see if anyone could identify them!

😀😀😀😀😀😀 Just joking, sorry George, I couldn't resist..........play on but let several guess before you give it away.

Back