Guess what I found??!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havoc821

Reaction score
Today me and my dad went to a gun show and while we were there, I looked around to see what I could find that could be used with rockets. Well, I didn't see anything untill I saw this BIG bag next to an old military sleeping bag. On the inside of this bag was something made of nylon. Parachute came to my mind. I asked what it was and it was a parachute!! I asked how big and I thought my jaw would hit the floor. He didn't know the dimentions of the parachute but I knew it was big. The bag was about 2 feet tall and about 1.5 feet wide. I asked how much and it was only $35!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D I got home and measured it and the parachute was at least 25 feet in diameter!!!!! ONLY $35!!!! People spend 3 times that much on a parachute half that size! I won't be using this ANYTIME soon (unless Chuck Andrus wants to use it in a 6inch diameter rocket he will eventually build. I figured if all else failed, I could trim it down and make a smaller chute and use the scraps to make a hundred more chutes or sell it on ebay and make some money! I am really excited. This thing is huge! It weighs almost 20 pounds! Well, I just thought I might share my good luck! :)

Here's what you REALLY need to do....

Take it out of the bag and let the wind inflate it. Have someone take a PICTURE! :D I wouldn't suggest chopping it up. That parachute is big enough to have some bragging rights. It's a novelty item worth breaking out every now and again. Heck, take it to your next club launch and break it out. Tell everyone you are "testing the lines" for the next big rocket you're building. Have fun with it!

Yeah... we need pics! And have one of us "big bone" guys hold the chute... we don't want to play Marry Poppins ;)

Get whoever plays "hagrid" in Harry Potter to hold it!! ;) Just tie a piece of tubular nylon to the ends of the shrouds, and tie it to the tree on a gusty day. Then step back with a camera! Or, you could go up the Empire State Building........ naw... that wouldent be smart. Sounds like quite the chute! Dont come to MMHPR to fix THAT one if something breaks! Itd be the death o me! It wouldent even fit in the sewing room! LOL! If it just needs a shroudline or two repaird, though... LOL. You cover shipping! (J/K, of course). Whadda deal!!! $35....

Here it is folded up with the shroud lines in the bag. I had a picture of the chute spread out but my camera deleted the pics.? Anyways, the guy said it use to be $80 but they had it for so many years and nobody bought it, so they dropped the price and I snatched it. The risers were made in 1965 and the chute in 1967. Pretty old. I have decided against chopping it up. This one is a keeper! :D Now I just have to wait for a windy day. Hopefully not too windy if you catch my drift. :) Get it, drift! Hahahaha! :p Yeah.....ummm.....well, that's all for now. More pics later when I get a windy day and hopefully I won't be coming to a town near you. ;)

You could make it into a canopy for use at launches. I've always wanted to do that.:)

If you're not likely to build a rocket that big, maybe you could resell it or auction it on ROL. You could probably find someone with a big rocket willing to buy it.

Back