GSSS Launch status August 28?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know for sure about the GSSS (North Branch, NJ) launch status for tomorrow, August 28? I got an email on Wednesday that says it is on, weather permitting. But their website shows this:
1630074031236.png
Is that "field flooding" for this week, or is it from something in the past? Not clear. I sent an email to the link on their web page but no response. And the weather forecast for tomorrow is iffy at best.

GSSS launch windows are notoriously finicky (always bring your own launch equipment, as the organizers may pack-up at any time), web site runs on an expired Cert, and is usually out of date.
Tomorrow is forecast to be a wash-out anyway, so I'll be going to movies instead.

CENJARS'S next launch is on 9/5. See you there?
https://cenjars.org/about/

GSSS launch windows are notoriously finicky (always bring your own launch equipment, as the organizers may pack-up at any time), web site runs on an expired Cert, and is usually out of date.
Tomorrow is forecast to be a wash-out anyway, so I'll be going to movies instead.
Yeah, I was thinking, hoping, maybe there would be a window in the morning. But I won't go if I have no clue if anyone will be there. I confess I find it really frustrating when clubs don't maintain up-to-date launch status info on their website. I understand that the website as a whole can easily fall into disrepair because it takes work to maintain it, but launch status is important and very easy.
CENJARS'S next launch is on 9/5. See you there?
https://cenjars.org/about/
I dunno, that's kind of far to drive for a 800' ceiling. Although most of my flights are usually below that anyway....

Anyone know for sure about the GSSS (North Branch, NJ) launch status for tomorrow, August 28? I got an email on Wednesday that says it is on, weather permitting. But their website shows this:
View attachment 479448
Is that "field flooding" for this week, or is it from something in the past? Not clear. I sent an email to the link on their web page but no response. And the weather forecast for tomorrow is iffy at best.

It's harder to read than it needs to be, but I'm interpreting this as only saying the 05/29 launch was cancelled due to flooding. If you got an email saying the launch is on as well, I'd go with that.

I dunno, that's kind of far to drive for a 800' ceiling. Although most of my flights are usually below that anyway....

It's a nice social gathering event as much as anything, launch starts at 1pm.
Drop family at Belmar beach in the morning, chill, head out to launch a few rockets. Go back to hang with family later, bring Playa Bowls for everyone, chill.
800' ceiling is due to the medium size field and trees on the periphery. Not appropriate for HP, but still fun, and you can fly most low-/mid-power rockets. Very easy going setting.

It's harder to read than it needs to be, but I'm interpreting this as only saying the 05/29 launch was cancelled due to flooding. If you got an email saying the launch is on as well, I'd go with that.

I can confirm that 5/29 was cancelled due to flooding. So were 2/27 and 4/25.
You will NOT get an email saying the launch is "on". Only if it is cancelled.

a

I’m gonna head down to GSSS, maybe I can get a few flights in. Bringing my own pad so at minimum I can try out my mini a heli on my own.

If I can get one flight in I’ll call it a success.

How did it go? We were at last month's launch which was just about the most perfect launch conditions I've ever seen. Perfect weather and almost no wind. Had about 15-20 flyers there and had a great day.

How did it go? We were at last month's launch which was just about the most perfect launch conditions I've ever seen. Perfect weather and almost no wind. Had about 15-20 flyers there and had a great day.
Wow, I didn't realize GSSS ever drew that many.

Yesterday ended up much better than expected. Weather no doubt kept people away, but the rain held off and the winds were about 10 mph, just manageable, blowing towards the river. Only three of us were there flying (Arnie, Jim Z., and myself. Mostly we flew pretty low but it was still a lot of fun. I ended up getting squeezing in nine flights until we packed up at around 1:45.

I have to say, it's a small field and you can't fly anything big, but the fact that it's all mowed grass, and you can park right next to the pads, and there are bathrooms, make that a pretty nice launch experience.

Back