Grounded

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been temporaily grounded due to some work that needs to be done at home.

Something about 3 rooms with new floors and painting. I was grounded/ volunteered to do the work on weekends.

So unless I get lots of orders every Friday that I need to pack up on the weekend, I may be hard to get on weekends.

BTW, never again carpeting. Never.

I have been temporaily grounded due to some work that needs to be done at home.

Something about 3 rooms with new floors and painting. I was grounded/ volunteered to do the work on weekends.

So unless I get lots of orders every Friday that I need to pack up on the weekend, I may be hard to get on weekends.

BTW, never again carpeting. Never.

Carpeting and linoleum are some of the few things that I always hire out. I have cut linoleum before and it is just too easy to mess up.

If you are painting a carpeted room you just need to have plenty of dropcloths and masking tape.

Little misunderstanding. I got rid of the carpet. Had enough.

Installing hard-wood floors.
:eek: Even WORSE!

A friend has been installing hardwood floors in his place for about two weeks now. The good news is his wife now believes him to be THE alpha male.

Red Green said it best: "Women might not find you handsome, but they should at least find you handy." :D

Gee, I haven't been grounded since high school... :D

Mark \\.

I know your pain, my brother.

knee pads. Real knee pads, not cheap knock offs. Hard plastic flat ones that carpenters and such use will save ALOT of pain.

You can't go wrong with HW floors. If the wife wants carpet, tell her to buy a rug..:eek:

I've put down my fair shair of HW floors and I've learned a few things and a DIY installer.
1) Nailing is easier than gluing.
2) If you are gluing on grade, snap a line, glue one course, let it dry. Fly from there...
3) It's a good excuse to buy a new DeWalt chop saw. Tell the wife it has to be a nice one because the others will mess up the wood.
4) Buy good knee pads.
5) Use real wood. No plastics (maybe as a base on the engineered floors, but not as a finish).

Hey Angelo, when you get done with yours - my kitchen needs doing as well.

Not good. But got the prefinished floor. :)

Pre finished is the way to go. Thats what I did when I built my house. Now all you have to do is kick the habbit called sleep and you will be caught up.
Mr. Bob

Pre finished is the way to go. Thats what I did when I built my house. Now all you have to do is kick the habbit called sleep and you will be caught up.
Mr. Bob

I've got to agree with Bob on this. In the last house I owned, I put down about 800sq/ft of Bruce HW flooring that was solid wood 5/16 strips. I used urethane glue to fix it to the slab. This stuff had a finish that was hard as nails. It was some kind of "something" oxide that made it resilient. I fact, they tell you to clean it with mineral spirits if you get glue on the surface. I liked it a lot and once it was down.....wa-la. Your done!

It was a beautiful floor. The other lesson I learned putting it down. Do it when you move in....not when your planing to move out..... I got to enjoy it for a couple of years before we had to move.

I went with hardwood and ceramic a few years ago due to my wife's allergies - I'll have own a house with carpeting again...

Mario

Had enough excuses not to do work for a couple of months, but I was told to start up again and do so this weekend.

So prepping one room for the baseboards and paint. Then need to finish the other 2.

Of course, she found something else that need to be finished. One little corner (where the stairs meets the door) that was driving her crazy. So need to redo that section.

Next weekend, sanding and baseboards.

BTW, where did all the smilies come from?

Had enough excuses not to do work for a couple of months, but I was told to start up again and do so this weekend.

So prepping one room for the baseboards and paint. Then need to finish the other 2.

Of course, she found something else that need to be finished. One little corner (where the stairs meets the door) that was driving her crazy. So need to redo that section.

Next weekend, sanding and baseboards.

Sounds like you need to teach your wife to sand and paint.... :duck:

BTW, where did all the smilies come from?

The smiley fairy paid the forum a visit, it would appear!

-Kevin

Sounds like you need to teach your wife to sand and paint.... :duck:

The smiley fairy paid the forum a visit, it would appear!

-Kevin

Don't do that! You will only get to do it over because she won't follow directions! Been there, done that, never again.:bang:

Don't do that! You will only get to do it over because she won't follow directions! Been there, done that, never again.:bang:

I think my wife used that logic with painting.

I'm very particular about paint in the house (comes from spending 3 months painting). Deb painted one room a few years ago. She's not allowed to do any more....

-Kevin

The sacrifices I do for rocketry. I was supposed to do the baseboards and prep for painting.

But Tom Raithby, my Vice Chairman, was in town for motor testing and I popped in. Of course I didn't do any work in the house. Out for most of the afternoon.

Nice motors. Cool.

cti09may2test.jpg

There is nothing more frustrating than having to put up with part time staff at home depot who don't have a clue what they are doing. All for 2 screws that came with the light fixture that were short.

Anyway. One room, living room is now done. Two rooms to go.

Taking the weekend off renovations, and will try to do my level 1 flight on Saturday. :)

Back