Ground Testing Laws?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't ask your neighbors, that'll just freak them out. They'll think you're launching at them. I wouldn't ask the cops either. They'll think you're building a bomb. I don't think there's any laws against the responsible use of black powder in my city. Other than standard noise ordinance.

Just roll your mower out. Mow the lawn. Then do your pop test in the backyard. Nobodies going to notice on a mower day.
... and leave the mower running!

I just let them rip in the side yard. Neighbors thinks its hilarious.

4.5 grams in a 6" fiberglass airframe with 3 #4 shear pins really livens things up!

I appreciate all of the replies! I think the best thing to do is talk to my local FD/PD to see what they say. I doubt I would get arrested but I could see a monetary fine being a possibility which for me, a broke college student, is not ideal 😅. Worst case scenario they say no and then I go and test either at a family member's 15 acre property or I take the drive out to ROC. I will say that I met the LAFD fire chief a few years ago at an RRS meeting and he seemed very interested in HPR so ill try to find the business card he gave me and maybe contact him about it. Ill let you all know what happens and thank you again!

I appreciate all of the replies! I think the best thing to do is talk to my local FD/PD to see what they say. I doubt I would get arrested but I could see a monetary fine being a possibility which for me, a broke college student, is not ideal 😅. Worst case scenario they say no and then I go and test either at a family member's 15 acre property or I take the drive out to ROC. I will say that I met the LAFD fire chief a few years ago at an RRS meeting and he seemed very interested in HPR so ill try to find the business card he gave me and maybe contact him about it. Ill let you all know what happens and thank you again!
I get business cards made every year to hand out to these guys with my name and our club. You will be surprised how much advertising does for good will. They often reach out to us for schools and clubs to launch with us.

One thing that will help is a video of what you will be doing. When I called the local Parks and Rec here to see if I could launch, they had no idea what model rocketry was.

Call them, keep it brief, and send the video.

I test in my yard. I live in a rural area and anyone who heard it would just think I was shooting a snake or something and not think twice about it.

Back