gritty residue in my RMS case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgroupmike

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I cleaned out my motor case and closures pretty well after their first flight last week. Then I tried to screw them together today, and I found that a couple of tiny bits of grit remain in the threads. Before I get out the Q-tips, is there an easy way of cleaning this off?

rocketgroupmike,
Try "WET ONES" wipes, and wipe the threads off the closure and the inside of the case. Wipe the threads on the inside of the case in the direction you would unscrew the closure. Do the same on the closure. In the field I use wet ones to clean the cases and closures between flights, and keep some Q-tips for cleaning the inside of the delay forward closure and the ejection charge well. When I get them home I clean them first with wet ones then wash them out with detergent and hot water, dry them thoroughly then wipe a light coat of gun oil inside the case and put a little extra on the threads. I then screw them back on and end up wiping the outside of the case with oil as well. My 24/40 and 29-40/120 cases have been used quite a bit, but still look like new.

Larry

Grease it up, then run a toothick along the threads. The grease will collect on the toothpick, lifting the loose grit with it.

The baby wipes left a bit of grit, and the toothpick method seems a bit tedious. Fortunately, a toothbrush works great!

soak the casings in white vinegar for a half hour or so; that will loosen the grit so you don't have to scrub so hard.

I have also taken a low temp hot glue gun and ran hot glue on the inside threads of the casing. Then I let it set and peel off the hot glue. Usually everything comes up with the hot glue.

Edward

For field cleanup I use Wet-Ones and I almost always have the same problem with grit in the threads. I don't worry about it too much.

When I clean cases at home I have a nice bottle brush that does a great job on 29mm and 38mm cases. I just wash the cases in a sink full of water and never have any grit left behind.

I have found that laundry detergent does a better job than dishwashing soap. It also works great for cleaning my hands after I work on the car.

Back