Grid Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished reading this analysis on grid fins.

https://people.nas.nasa.gov/aftosmis/publications/aiaa11_3666_final_1.pdf

I know my next project for all these 3" mailer tubes lying around. A simple, motor-deply, high G-motor to baby-H MPR/HPR using grid fins. I can get plastic grids super cheap. I'm thinking I cut a hole in the middle of a 12"x12" grid and epoxy the rocket smack dab in the middle.

I bet the fins make a wicked hissing sound. :)

Off to the drawing boards!

I made a circular grid fin from a flourescent light grid and some wooden ring from a craft store but haven't gotten around to mounting it. Please give it a try and report back. If yours works I'll have to dig it up and use it.

I made a circular grid fin from a flourescent light grid and some wooden ring from a craft store but haven't gotten around to mounting it. Please give it a try and report back. If yours works I'll have to dig it up and use it.

After trying for my L2 at MWP in Nov., I think this will be on my winter build project pile. Might try it in smaller scale first. We'll see.

If you do swept grid fins you can go a bunch faster. Trans-mach no problemo assuming you choose a good material.

Back