Greetings! New member buying LOC IV with lots of questions!

Discussion in 'Mid Power Rocketry (MPR)' started by Curtis Enlow, Mar 24, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Apr 24, 2019 #91

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

I can see that. Full monocoque designs are elegent. The fins, however...LOL. I did a balsa & glass buildup on the IV's 1/8" fins - they were just too floppy. I could bend them between a couple fingers on one hand. No sure how far I would trust them in anything that goes fast or has time to build up harmonics.

2. Apr 24, 2019 #92

cbrarick

cbrarick

cbrarick

Wildman CT

Mach 1.5 on a stretched loc vulconite, CTI J600. Made with wood glue and absolutely bone stock otherwise. The payload tube was a little small for my chute.
    Almost all of us overbuild, and I'm no exception. I do mostly glass rockets so I can chuck them in the bed of my F350 when they're not flying & I don't worry about them.
    None of them actually need to be glass, though.

but like I said before do what you like. One of my friends we call Fleet Admiral Overbuild. You should see his gizmo, it's so overbuilt it weighs more then my Jumbo Darkstar, even though my rocket is twice as long as his :> We just have a good time flying (and watching him fetch the fin can, it's darn heavy)

3. Apr 24, 2019 #93

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

That's the beauty and fun of amateur engineering, right?

I'm certain that there are people here who can accurately describe the failure modes of any materials used on model rockets; my math skills fall short of that, so all I can do, really, is make educated guesses. But the bottom line is leaving a generous safety margin in view of the energies involved.

You do a thorough pre-flight inspection after throwing your rockets in the back of your pick-up, I assume...?

4. Apr 25, 2019 #94

cbrarick

cbrarick

cbrarick

Wildman CT

naahhhh. If the rocket is lucky I'll wiper her down. Otherwise I depend on high G take offs to get rid of the dirt. I do carefully pack my chutes, however. It's nigh on impossible to damage one of my fiberglass tanks. Just can't pack the little ones below the big un's. Might just squish them flat.....

Curtis Enlow likes this.
  5. Apr 25, 2019 #95

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

LOL! Chicken feathers and mud greatly increase parasite drag. I'm just sayin'.. ;)

6. Apr 25, 2019 #96

cbrarick

cbrarick

cbrarick

Wildman CT

50+ g's usually dusts them off.....

how's the rocket looking?

7. Apr 25, 2019 #97

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

I did some touch up work on the fillets and received my stainless eye nuts for the e-bay, but am in the middle of three 13-hour days. Ugh. It's what I do for five day weekends...

Other then that, I'm close to a layer of divott & dent hunting first layer of sacrificial primer, so.. getting there!

8. Apr 26, 2019 #98

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

'Kay, guys, I need to start thinking about drogue chutes.

The stock IV comes with a 32" Main. I am going to guess, at this point, that the stretched HP dual deploy version is going to be around 2 kg.

I am going to bump up to a 42" dual-deploy main, but what do you suggest for a drogue? Also, I see a lot of drogues swinging all over the place, are there styles of drogues that are more stable than others?

9. May 5, 2019 #99

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Hey, where do you get black powder in Western Wa? I'm having a heck of a time, state regs must make it difficult...?

10. May 5, 2019 #100

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

I buy mine from my motor vendor and get it shipped. That’s a special order thing—I don’t think it’s on their normal website. You might look at some of the muzzleloading mail order places.

11. May 5, 2019 #101

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

Curtis Enlow

There's a muzzleloader specialty supply place in Puyallup, but that's quite a hike for me...

12. May 5, 2019 #102

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

You might call them up and explain that you’re looking for 4F a little closer to home and ask if they know anyone.