Greetings from San Diego

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Thomas. I've been lurking on this forum for several years (and only for the past year or so with an account), but I figured it was time to make some noise.

I am currently a student at SDSU working to finish my master's in aerospace, researching combustion instability in liquid rocket engines. This is my fifth year of living in San Diego (just finished my undergrad after the first four years), but I also have an occasional presence in NorCal, Central Nevada, and occasionally at small events across the country.

I've been involved in rocketry to some level since my dad introduced me to it when I was very young (early 2000s (yeah, not *that* long ago)). I've been messing with LPR and MPR ever since, and graduated to HPR towards the end of high school. Since then I've had the time and budget to reach Level 2, and I am gathering the time, money, and effort to go for 3 sometime soonish. I like building "normal" rockets, but I also love the weird stuff. I've forayed into monocopters, garden gnomes, and even a (model) wedding cake rocket for a wedding. Until recently, it's all been commercial rocket motors, but I've been working with some mentors and textbooks to arm myself and start in experimental motors.

In terms of other rocketry shenanigans, I also have liquid and hybrid experience. I've been involved in SDSU Rocket Project for over 4 years now, and was the president last year. On that team I had heavy involvement in methalox and ethalox rocket engines, and the systems that support them. I've also had engineering jobs at two companies during my summer breaks where I've worked on industry-scale hybrid propulsion systems.

I am most active in Tripoli San Diego and can be found out at Holtville semi-frequently. I'm also out at Friends of Amateur Rocketry on occasion, either with my university rocket team or with friends. In the past year, I've also helped Hot Nozzle Society in their mission to bring more people into the hobby.

Welcome!

I’m in Poway, so maybe I’ll see you out there sometime. I haven’t been able to fly with TRASD this year but I’m hoping to get out there once I have my fleet in better shape. I just mess around with Estes-scale stuff, no HPR yet. Mainly I just like the HPR sites for the higher ceiling.

Greetings and welcome to the SD rocket gang! Though I’m historically connected with DART, I fly HPR too and am currently at AirFest in Kansas. Hope to see you at Holtville, Lucerne , FAR, Fiesta Island, …

Dave

I probably met you when Vocational Steam Works toured the SDSU rocket lab last year. I was super impressed with the team and what you're doing (way beyond my capabilities). I haven't been to FAR yet but would absolutely head up there to watch the group test and launch. Is there a timeline for your high altitude attempt (I think its called Karman San Diego)?

I probably met you when Vocational Steam Works toured the SDSU rocket lab last year. I was super impressed with the team and what you're doing (way beyond my capabilities). I haven't been to FAR yet but would absolutely head up there to watch the group test and launch. Is there a timeline for your high altitude attempt (I think its called Karman San Diego)?
Oh that’s clever!

Is there a timeline for your high altitude attempt (I think its called Karman San Diego)?
We're working on that one in the background at the moment. Covid hit us super hard (university sent us home and locked us out of our lab for well over a year), so we're trying to relaunch our last rocket, Lady Elizabeth, to get back on our feet. We're hoping to get Lady back off the ground before the end of the semester.

For Karman San Diego, much of the airframe, plumbing, and GSE design work is complete. The version 1 tank design is nearly complete and will be manufactured as soon as we get back on the launch campaign for that. Engine design is chugging away in the background; we're on v1.4ish of our injector, but we're really close to a good design (using water flow testing for validation of design).

First Holtville launch of the season is scheduled for Saturday, October 1.

Holtville Havoc will be back November 4-6. There's something like 3 dozen raffle prizes for Havoc, including nice kits (some fiberglass), motor HW, electronics, recovery systems, and more. Plan on it!

We hung out at HNS last year.

I'll look forward to seeing you at the local launches. I've been going to FAR a lot these days, but I'll definitely be at Havoc.

Hello all, my name is Thomas. I've been lurking on this forum for several years (and only for the past year or so with an account), but I figured it was time to make some noise.

I am currently a student at SDSU working to finish my master's in aerospace, researching combustion instability in liquid rocket engines. This is my fifth year of living in San Diego (just finished my undergrad after the first four years), but I also have an occasional presence in NorCal, Central Nevada, and occasionally at small events across the country.

I've been involved in rocketry to some level since my dad introduced me to it when I was very young (early 2000s (yeah, not *that* long ago)). I've been messing with LPR and MPR ever since, and graduated to HPR towards the end of high school. Since then I've had the time and budget to reach Level 2, and I am gathering the time, money, and effort to go for 3 sometime soonish. I like building "normal" rockets, but I also love the weird stuff. I've forayed into monocopters, garden gnomes, and even a (model) wedding cake rocket for a wedding. Until recently, it's all been commercial rocket motors, but I've been working with some mentors and textbooks to arm myself and start in experimental motors.

In terms of other rocketry shenanigans, I also have liquid and hybrid experience. I've been involved in SDSU Rocket Project for over 4 years now, and was the president last year. Also for students who want to do their studies soon I can make a recommendation like this source website for me it was very useful, besides it helped me with my homework and writing, for me it is quite hard to formulate a thought and especially a writing, and in this source there are a lot of examples on topics that most often teachers like critical analysis.

I am most active in Tripoli San Diego and can be found out at Holtville semi-frequently. I'm also out at Friends of Amateur Rocketry on occasion, either with my university rocket team or with friends. In the past year, I've also helped Hot Nozzle Society in their mission to bring more people into the hobby.
Hey, I am also new, good luck!!!

Back