Greetings from New York

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974_Trident

Reaction score
Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is James.

I got hooked on the model rocket habit at the age of seven when I would go to the high school athletic field with my parents on weekends. There was always somebody flying rockets. My first model was an Estes Pershing 1A which my father and I built together. Even though the first flight ended with a crash; Estes recommended a D12-3 and we used a D12-5, not that the extra two seconds made the difference. The rocket had lawn-darted close to two seconds before the ejection charge popped. In retrospect an F is probably the optimal motor for that rocket. The Pershing was semi-retired to my desk and was only the first of close to 100 Estes kits and rockets of my own design made with the tube/balsa assortment packs.

I launched my last rocket about 20 years ago, a Mean Machine which lost its nose cone to the trees. Over the past twenty years I would occasionally see families launching rockets, find spent engine casings on the baseball field or see something on TV or the web which would bring back fond memories. Now, thirty years after my foray into rocketry, I found myself looking for ways to spend rainy days with my children. I introduced my kids to model rocketry just two weeks ago.

I picked up an Estes 1/10 scale Patriot Missile and some construction/launch supplies. I am quite pleased with how the rocket turned out. After the first day of flying I can't stay away. I ordered my first BIG rocket kit, an Aerotech G-force 4. I can't wait to start building this one. Over the years I have learned that there are bigger and more powerful model rockets than those available at the local hobby shops nearly all of which are out of business. My goal is to get to level three. A few build threads here have been of great inspiration. I will take this time to thank LeeGScott1. Your build thread about the Cyclone had me captivated for hours. That is what I want to be building with my kids before they graduate high school.

I am still getting a feel for the terminology and differences in components on the big rockets vs. the hobby shop kits.

Anyway, is there anybody else around here from New York? I'm in Putnam County. Please PM me.

Regards,

James

And here are a few pictures from my reentry into rocketry:

IMGP2424.jpg

IMGP2443.jpg

IMGP2446.jpg

IMGP2426.jpg

IMGP2592.jpg

Excellent. An hour and a half drive from me.

I feel like I've struck gold!

Thank you very much.

James, welcome to TRF and welcome back to rocketry! :)

Keep everyone posted, enjoy the community here and participate!

You're already off to a great start with pictures. We love pictures. Some would say that they are required... :)

jim

Thank you very much, rocket9005 and H_Rocket. Three clubs within an hour. Quite close considering my commute to work is two hours each way.

Metra and Cato are both great, I belong to both. I would take your time, enjoy low and mid power rocketry before level 1, level 1 before level 2, etc... Many people seem to burn out on rocketry by not pacing themselves, so enjoy it like a marathon not a sprint would be my advice. You will be happy to see that, even 20 years later, many of the small rockets are still around. The big rockets have changed for the most part, however. :) Have you seen a skidmark propellant flight yet? That will be the moment my friend.

Greetings, fellow upstater. I'm about 250 miles north of you.

MarkII

Welcome! Beware the bug bites much harder the 2nd time around!

...I would take your time, enjoy low and mid power rocketry before level 1, level 1 before level 2, etc... Many people seem to burn out on rocketry by not pacing themselves, so enjoy it like a marathon not a sprint would be my advice....
Agreed. I've been a BAR for maybe 5 years, and still the biggest motor I've flown is a G80.

Welcome! Beware the bug bites much harder the 2nd time around!

Agreed. I've been a BAR for maybe 5 years, and still the biggest motor I've flown is a G80.
Ah, another underachiever! :cheers:
Sounds like me. I have also been back in rocketry for five years. (They have been good years, though.)

MarkII

Greetings everyone. My name is Ryan. Less than three months ago my whole family went to launch my first model rocket. Then twenty days ago we launched my second model rocket, my brothers first model rocket, my dad`s G force, and my sister`s first rocket.:D

That's my boy.

Welcome, Ryan. I think you're going to really enjoy it around here. Well, you already know that from reading over my shoulder all the time. Pay attention to what the tribal elders have to say, their wisdom is priceless.

Well fellas im sure you will continue to have a great time around here:) If you have any problems please fell free to contact myself or any of the moderators:)
Cheers
fred

:clap::clap::clap:I guess we have a new member.:cheers: Well welcome to the TRF (The Rocketry Fourm)!:cyclops: I hope you have fun.:roll:

Hello Person Who Lives in New York:D Im only 150 miles north of you:D
Then i again i wont be much help PM MarkII and ask Why :D

Welcome back to the hobby!

In addition to METRA and GSSS, one more club in the area you might want to look into:

https://www.challengercenterrocketclub.com

A relatively new club, with an emphasis on educational outreach. Monthly LPR build sessions open to the public, LPR/MPR launches in Rockland Cty., and certification classes to help the adult members get into HPR. Several of us are also members of METRA and, regularly pursue HPR at their monthly launches.

Next build session next Thursday night, 3/4. We're building gliders for an upcoming contest launch. :)

Welcome back to rocketry, James!

My name is Bob, and I'm a CATO member.

Don't be intimidated by the High Power discussions. Stay with low power, and then work your way up. There are alot of similarities between low and mid power.

We here at CATO cater to just about everybody. If it has a motor, fly it. Well, within reasonable limits, that is. We currently have, I believe 10 or 12 low power rods that are ALWAYS set up. I myself fly mostly low power, with a few mid power ones scattered here and there. (Art Applewhite's saucers are a great intro into mid power, just IMHO)

So, come on over to a launch some time. I come from Bridgeport myself, and it takes me generally between 50-60 minutes to get there, depending on traffic. of course, I have to stop for breakfast, but...

Bob

Back