Greetings, Everyone!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Kat to TRF!

Welcome back to the hobby. Think you will find TRF to be an invaluable source of information and inspiration, along with interacting with a great bunch of rocketeers.

I grew up during the space race, and was fascinated by the rockets carrying astronauts into space. A school mate of mine showed me an Estes catalog, and I was hooked for life. Saved my lawn mowing money for the Alpha starter set, and haven't looked back since. I think the educational aspects of the hobby is what I liked the most, and luckily, I still learn something every time I build and fly a model. One of my projects I intend to finish before I die is build every model in my initial fleet.

Like many others, finishing a model sometimes stretches my patience, as I like my rockets to look good, but it seems I always screw something up. LOL

And, like others, I would encourage you to join a group, either NAR or TRA, you will find flying with friends is much more fun that doing it alone.

Again, welcome to our group and I wish you much success in your rocketry endeavors.

Stew
NAR#14002, L1

Hello Kat,

Glad to have you here! Depending on when you left the hobby you may find that there have been some interesting changes. Altimeters w/o deploy capability and will fit almost any payload bay can be found for around $25. Electronic kits for rocketry, everything from a dual-deploy altimeter ($20) to GPS tracking (multiple items) is available. 3D printing is making all sorts of unusual parts, jigs, supports, etc. possible, and there's a forum on that subject here on TRF.

If you're going with model rockets (1/4A to D impulse), AC Supply has Estes models, motors, etc. typically 20% or more off list price. They also have some of the mid-power stuff (E and F). Blackpowder mid-power motors (E and F) are available from Estes, and mid-power composites in E, F, and G impulse with all sorts of thrust curves are available from a variety of sources. High-power rocketry (H thru O motors) has become pretty big. Models, parts, reloadable motors, and single-use motors that use AP composite propellant (like the shuttle's boosters use) are available, but open your pocketbook. :) And if you certify level 2 in Tripoli, you are even permitted to make and fly your own APCP motors. There's even a book to tell you how to do it with minimal hazard. (Beware, though...the author is ugly and he dresses funny. :D)

Best -- Terry

Welcome Kat,
you will find all types here at all levels.....many BARS, newbies, wannabes, physics teachers, and some late launchers :) ... I fall into the last group, but use the old techniques of the hobby along with the art of the paint and pushing really odd and strange birds into the air.

enjoy!

And here I thought it was "jack in the box" joke. But your probably right. But then...

Hey, Kat, is your user name a Shrodinger reference?

Ah, didn't see that, still getting used to the layout. Good to know there's someone not too too far. Not having much luck turning up any groups near me that aren't strictly for kids, unfortunately.
Just stumbled across your post, sorry. I’m not far from Ashland, near 295. We flew this weekend at Tripoli Central VA, out near Culpeper (90 min drive).

OT, all this Schrödinger talk reminds me of my favorite physics textbook from college. Junior year course. Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David Griffiths. I loved the way this book was written. It was funny (for a physics textbook). It’s one of the few collegiate textbooks I kept.

As an example, and why this talk has reminded me of it, here is the front cover which has a cat on it. It looks like it wants to play. F18012DC-6B17-41B5-AA14-0BA328E28D78.jpeg

And if you flip to the back:

F973F53B-8C56-4ADD-93C0-079B655DC6C6.jpeg

Poor kitty. 😂

Just stumbled across your post, sorry. I’m not far from Ashland, near 295. We flew this weekend at Tripoli Central VA, out near Culpeper (90 min drive).
Oooh good to know! I was looking into the possibility of using a local park near me after that field next door gets planted and was •́ ‿ ,•̀ to see NO ROCKETS on the county rules. Maybe I'll look into turning up for their next launch!

Back