Greetings......Again......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Garvin

Male Strumpet
Reaction score
Greetings my old TRF friends, and any new ones since I've been gone,

It's been a couple years since I've been around. I have to apologize for my sudden departure from the scene. I had a family medical issue that came up suddenly that caused me to be a caretaker and provider for two years. I had to give up Rocketry, sailing, scuba diving and my Dallas Stars season tickets. My only free time was spent on my bike and my MC Brothers. That situation has changed as of last May.

I started tinkering in the shop over the summer, but when I got an email from Estes announcing the release of the 2157 again, I immediately ordered one so I have another Saturn V now in the build pile. I'll probably buy 2 more, one to build and one to hide. And of course when I went to buy a $3.99 2016 ornament I looked at the sale items and my order grew a little. (Attached photo) I've got plenty to keep me busy and now that I have another Saturn, I'll build it with flight in mind and lessons learned from the last one I built. I also grabbed one of dlb's Sky Wolf....should arrive Wednesday.

Sam B caught me lurking last week and caught me up on the DARS launches, so with cooler weather now in Texas I can't wait to burn some motors soon! Hope everyone here has been well while I was MIA.....I sure have missed it!

IMG_1202.jpg

Thanks guys.....those are just the recent additions to the pile. I still have many Pro2's from the Fry's liquidation plus others. I'm working on the Scion now, which is just a repurposed Leviathan without the slotted tube and with an extra body tube. It's a 3 fin design that comes with an extra fin and tweaked instructions.

IMG_1208.jpg

I'd say you've got plenty of stuff to keep you occupied for a while. Have fun and welcome back!

Welcome back to the smoke, brother! I'm sure your loyalty and dedication in the past will be rewarded, even if only in the knowledge you helped a fellow traveler during our orbits around the sun. Look forward to seeing your posts again. Straight smoke and good chutes!

Thanks! I've got a bit of catching up to get back in stride.....I've built a Solar Flare, Goblin, Nike Smoke so far and am working now on a Scion. I got a Sahara, Star Orbiter and Panavia up next, to keep my PSII fleet complete. I also built a Tercel....only need a glider flight for NARTREK Silver. I have some ideas in my head for design and NARTREK Gold.

Welcome back!

Oh, your comment about the Solar Flare reminds me of all the work I lost from the computer crash... Including a nearly complete Solar Flare sim. :(

I've got the sim file downloaded from the archive, but I haven't checked it for accuracy. Did you do one from scratch or tweak that one?

I've got the sim file downloaded from the archive, but I haven't checked it for accuracy. Did you do one from scratch or tweak that one?

Scratch... And I did some extra to it...

25179111131_c43f57f31a_c.jpg

Nobody verified the fin thicknesses. So, I never uploaded the file.

Last edited:
I've got a micrometer.....tomorrow I'll measure mine. Of course, how much sanding was done, then Aerogloss sealer coats, plus primer, paint and lacquer....can be quite a variance between models.

I've got a micrometer.....tomorrow I'll measure mine. Of course, how much sanding was done, then Aerogloss sealer coats, plus primer, paint and lacquer....can be quite a variance between models.

Thanks!

Basically, I just needed to know if it was 3/32", 1/8", or 1/6". However, I'll need to start from scratch... again.

Greetings my old TRF friends, and any new ones since I've been gone,

It's been a couple years since I've been around. I have to apologize for my sudden departure from the scene. I had a family medical issue that came up suddenly that caused me to be a caretaker and provider for two years. I had to give up Rocketry, sailing, scuba diving and my Dallas Stars season tickets. My only free time was spent on my bike and my MC Brothers. That situation has changed as of last May.

I started tinkering in the shop over the summer, but when I got an email from Estes announcing the release of the 2157 again, I immediately ordered one so I have another Saturn V now in the build pile. I'll probably buy 2 more, one to build and one to hide. And of course when I went to buy a $3.99 2016 ornament I looked at the sale items and my order grew a little. (Attached photo) I've got plenty to keep me busy and now that I have another Saturn, I'll build it with flight in mind and lessons learned from the last one I built. I also grabbed one of dlb's Sky Wolf....should arrive Wednesday.

Sam B caught me lurking last week and caught me up on the DARS launches, so with cooler weather now in Texas I can't wait to burn some motors soon! Hope everyone here has been well while I was MIA.....I sure have missed it!

If I can paraphrase the great Bob Seger:

Come back baby
Rocketry never forgets

:)

I took measurements at several points:

Booster: 2.58mm to 2.62mm
Sustainer: 2.76mm to 2.78mm

I think I put an extra coat on the sustainer.

I do have a lot to keep me busy.....the Sky Wolf from dlb came in today and I'm gonna build that next when I finish the Scion, or work it in parallel. It's a really nice MPR kit....I'm very impressed with the quality materials included, especially for the price offered.

Welcome back. Not sure if we crossed paths in the forums before, but regardless, always good to see people getting back into the hobby.

Back