Green Monkey Aerospace

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
Are they a going concern? Returning? Their website has a 2016 date, but is devoid of content.

https://gmarocketry.com/

Did they just do 13mm/18mm reloads? or something else?

His phone number is on the site, you could call and ask him.

My experience is most folks don't mind talking about what's going on. I'm sure he would be glad to know he has traffic on the website already and interest.

Although I have no use for them, the fact that such a product existed made me smile.

We have an All Colorado Rocketry Dinner in February. I'll ask him there. He makes great things.

Edward

I wouldn't mind seeing another manufacturer of 18mm composite motors, especially if they offer loads at reasonable prices (not cheap, but reasonable).

Last edited:
I thought I remembered them doing 13mm as well. Sure enough, found one for sale here from back in 2012...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Monkey-Aerospace-13mm-Research-Motor-Hardware

24mm is fun, I've never witnessed an 18mm, and 13mm composites have to be a hoot!!!

Found more info, apparently 4 pages of it -

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?112920-quot-Green-Monkey-Aerospace-quot

Cool, I started that original thread back on TRF1.0 many years ago...

These things are tiny and have to be incredibly difficult to make loads for, as was mentioned in the link Jeff posted.

The Pyrodex pellet propellant idea has me wondering though...If you were able to inhibit the OD of the pellets by bonding them into the liner then you may have something usable. Odds are you'd need a good collection of nozzle throat sizes to work your way down to avoid popping your case.

As someone who regularly makes 29mm hardware, I'd want NOTHING to do with machining those things!

Last edited:
Green Monkey Aerospace made high quality 13 mm, 18 mm and 24 mm research motor casings and research hybrid casings. Here's a 2008 snapshot of their website from the Wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101107073323/https://gmarocketry.com/Home_Page.html

Their products were reasonably priced, high quality motor casings but there is a very limited market because few folks make their own model rocket motors. From previous personal small business experience, to develop this level of quality product requires a minimum mid 5-digit upfront investment, and at $100 to $200 per 3 casing motor set, it takes over $100K in sales to break even if you want to recover your initial equity investment. Anything less and you are subsidizing someone else's hobby.........

Bob

These things are tiny and have to be incredibly difficult to make loads for, as was mentioned in the link Jeff posted.

The Pyrodex pellet propellant idea has me wondering though...If you were able to inhibit the OD of the pellets by bonding them into the liner then you may have something usable. Odds are you'd need a good collection of nozzle throat sizes to work your way down to avoid popping your case.

As someone who regularly makes 29mm hardware, I'd want NOTHING to do with machining those things!
Pyrodex(R) pellets burn too fast.

One motor we tested called for 6 Pyrodex(R) pellets for ignition. The had the motor on the test stand and fired the e-match. The chamber pressure hit 2400 psi and while the motor did not ignite, the impulse from the igniter measured as a B300 motor!

Pyrodex(R) pellets are porous whereas convention BP motors are not. Porous means larger surface area and a faster burn and that what you get with Pyrodex(R) pellets as they are designed to replace a granular powder charge in a muzzle loader.

Bob

Pyrodex(R) pellets burn too fast.

One motor we tested called for 6 Pyrodex(R) pellets for ignition. The had the motor on the test stand and fired the e-match. The chamber pressure hit 2400 psi and while the motor did not ignite, the impulse from the igniter measured as a B300 motor!

Pyrodex(R) pellets are porous whereas convention BP motors are not. Porous means larger surface area and a faster burn and that what you get with Pyrodex(R) pellets as they are designed to replace a granular powder charge in a muzzle loader.

Bob

Were the grains inhibited on the OD? The Kn may be low, but I bet you could make it work.

Ive used 3 pyrodex pellets to light a 98/4G motor. 24" X 1.25" core without any noticeable pressurization, just a slow and gentle ignition.

Were the grains inhibited on the OD? The Kn may be low, but I bet you could make it work.

Ive used 3 pyrodex pellets to light a 98/4G motor. 24" X 1.25" core without any noticeable pressurization, just a slow and gentle ignition.
No, not inhibited, in a 54 mm hybrid. Just following directions.

Actually you want to inhibit the pyrodex cores. Makes for a rapid pressurization of the propellant core with a regressive igniter burn which is compensated for by the increasing pressurization as the main propellant grains ignite.

The burn time of the uninhibited pyrodex grain is 30 ms. Inhibit the core and you get a 60 ms burn.

Bob

Hey. We were going for Hulk monkeys. Gamma rays are perfectly safe, right? Just look at David Banner.

I thought it was Bruce. And I still think 13mm B or C's would be a hoot!

Later!

--Coop

You are right. I was tired. Brain wasn't functioning right. Brought the wrong Banner up.

Did GMA actually ship any of the 13mm,18mm or the 24mm hardware? If so anyone have any they would want to get rid of? I wouldn't mind copying some of the motors and I think they would be a blast to make experimental motors for.

Thank you
Brian

Never mind.........lol

Last edited:
Yes. I have a set of the 18 and 13 mm. It is very nicely done. I am not willing to sell them.

Back