Green Jello's Level 1 Build - Wildman Jr. Kit - "Certify With Us" program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well sorry if I'm still over thinking this but what size drouge would you use when I go dual deploy on it? I was thinking 18"

I vote for drogueless on these kits. That 18" chute will just make you walk even further to recover it. If the main doesn't happen to come out these kits are strong enough that i doubt you'd have more than a scratch if it came in separated drogueless (however you'd be in trouble if there was no separation at all but that is a different story). I have put up 2 different Jr kits about a dozen times, including a mile high, and never had a drogue, never needed one.

However, if you are putting something a mile or higher I would recommend a very shiny, reflective streamer to aid in tracking it on the way down as a drogue. That can help you at least get a bead on where it is in case you don't see it deploy.

Well sorry if I'm still over thinking this but what size drouge would you use when I go dual deploy on it? I was thinking 18"

Not looked at the rest of the replies..But, I go drogueless..IF you want to use a drogue 18" seems right, you could go down to a 12" and get away with I think..Be sure to attach the drogue as close to the upper section(where your main is) so that on decent it is ABOVE your fin can..Now for the reason I go drogueless..Even with the drogue right next to the upper section that tube will be pointed down.Which direction do you think your main is going to go? Down.Drogueless the upper tube should remain flat or parallel to the ground so that when the main comes out there is not as likely a chance of something falling into the main and fouling it and ruining a good recovery..Just some food for thought...

All the best on the cert flight!:)

No drogue! It's just a junior! I don't even use a drogue in my extreme! Don't do it! It will be OK!
My junior has literally dozens of flights, and it's never had a drogue... If i'm flying really high I might throw some caution tape in as a visibility thing.
Once my son deployed a plastic soldier with a chute at a mile, but we never saw him.....

No drogue! It's just a junior! I don't even use a drogue in my extreme! Don't do it! It will be OK!
My junior has literally dozens of flights, and it's never had a drogue... If i'm flying really high I might throw some caution tape in as a visibility thing.
Once my son deployed a plastic soldier with a chute at a mile, but we never saw him.....

Do you still pop your main at 100'?

Ok, so....I get that the drogue isn't necessary, but what does it really hurt? People have said it just makes it a further recovery, but I can't imagine that a small chute would slow it down enough to drift at all in the wind. Wouldn't ANY amount of slowing it down help the chances of the main deploying successfully? It would also make it easier to see.

Also, if you are not going to use one, what section do you put the main in? The nose cone or the bottom section?

Put the drouge in the bottom section. That way you can use motor deploy as a backup. Set it a second or two after apogee.

Alex

Ok, so....I get that the drogue isn't necessary, but what does it really hurt? People have said it just makes it a further recovery, but I can't imagine that a small chute would slow it down enough to drift at all in the wind. Wouldn't ANY amount of slowing it down help the chances of the main deploying successfully? It would also make it easier to see.

Also, if you are not going to use one, what section do you put the main in? The nose cone or the bottom section?

What Pantherjon said,by adding a drogue, it orients your main to fire down into the fincan and attached shock cord. It also puts another chute out there that can tangle up with your main.
In skydiving, we cut away a malfunctioning main before deploying our reserve chute for just that reason. How many people need to tell you the same thing before you take their advise?
The main goes in the upper payload section for the same reason, less chance of it tangling up with stuff.
Now you are probably heading out to the playa where you might not be able to post up here, use the people that are there, plenty of experience available.

Nope, I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning.

So no drogue it is. The Wildman Jr. is ready to go. Thanks to all who helped. I guess I'm all out of questions. Nothing left to do but fly and try not to burst into flames out there.

Two of 2013's most carefully planned and anticipated events:

the birth of another British royal.

Green Jello's level 1 attempt.

Good luck to both parties !

:duck:

Two of 2013's most carefully planned and anticipated events:

the birth of another British royal.

Green Jello's level 1 attempt.

Good luck to both parties !

:duck:

Now that's a good one!

My modded Jr will come down drogueless and then use a 36" Mil surplus chute at 7. A drogue will make the rocket drift much further than drogueless. I fly my little altitude rockets with 12" or even 9" chutes. They will drift a mile easily from 8k to 10k even further as they go higher and that's a 9 inch chute! Surprises me every time how far they can drift on such a tiny chute!

That's really interesting. It seems like a little chute would have zero effect on a 4-5 lb. rocket. But that's why I ask you experienced guys. Someone suggested a streamer. Wouldn't that have the same effect?

A streamer could be the same thing depending on how much drag it has. The thing about streamers at least for me is they typically pack larger which if you are tight on space can be a problem. If you have the space a streamer can aid in visibility falling from apogee. If you have a shiny paint job I strongly believe you will be able to see it with clear skies (drogueless).

Hehehehe I pop the main at 200 feet :grin:

After all, you got to be conservative! :surprised:

Besides that, I gotta have room for the 20 feet of shock cord....:y:

I finally changed my old chute to a recon and it doesn't seen to mind a quick stop, and I'm not generating that much g's :jaw:

Hehehehe I pop the main at 200 feet :grin:

After all, you got to be conservative! :surprised:

Besides that, I gotta have room for the 20 feet of shock cord....:y:

I finally changed my old chute to a recon and it doesn't seen to mind a quick stop, and I'm not generating that much g's :jaw:

I'm thinking we need another drag race here Rick... Next red glare?

Mr Jello got his Level 1 today!

A really nice flight to 4900 feet, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure I got a picture, but I don't have the ability to edit photos at the moment. Alex (aksrockets) may have one, as well -- I know he's been doing a lot of photos and video.

-Kevin

Thanks for letting us know Kevin.
Congratulations on your successful flight GJ, now you can spend even more money on your hobby. Don't be in any hurry for L-2, lots of great motors in the H and I range.

Thank Goodness THATS over!! If he would have over-thought this flight anymore I'd have found him and stolen the rocket!! :p :eek:
j/k!!! :wink:
Congratulations!! :w::w::w:

Congrats Mr. Jello! Welcome to the High power club, and like everyone said "get ready to empty out your wallet".

Mr Jello got his Level 1 today!

A really nice flight to 4900 feet, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure I got a picture, but I don't have the ability to edit photos at the moment. Alex (aksrockets) may have one, as well -- I know he's been doing a lot of photos and video.

-Kevin
I was out loading Manny's N3301 shot, so I was able to see the flight but sadly I couldnt get a pic. Its hard to hear those LCO announcements out on the away pads.

Beautiful flight though! That I125 burned... And burned.... And burned... Perfect motor for a DS.

Congrats on the flight and welcome to the party!

Alex

Good afternoon friends! I am back from the dusty surface of the sun. HOLY HELL it was hot out there this weekend, but I seem to have survived.

So, the launch went mostly perfect....I spent the morning on Saturday prepping everything for launch until around 11:00 AM. James Flenner (TRF - Fdog) came over and helped me out with the rigging and looked everything over so I could obsess with the details one last time. After everything looked good, I took it out to the pad and off we went. It cocked a slight bit right off the pad and then went straight as as arrow from there. The I125 turned out to be more motor than I should have done. It was close to the sun and everyone lost it as it climbed completely out of sight. So I never got to see it come down, but after a scan of the horizon, I saw the orange chute out there. I drove out to retrieve it and it was perfect. Hardly even dusty. According to the Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 that was on board, it did 4,893' at 405 mph.

Thanks one last time to everyone who helped me with my endless questions. A special thanks to Kevin, TRF and Jeoren at CTI for this awesome program that saved me a bunch of money. The whole thing was a great experience and I can't wait to fly some more.

High Res Pics:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7801353/IMG_3928b.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7801353/IMG_3929b.jpg

[video=youtube;nfk2RYHQCbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfk2RYHQCbM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2013-07-21 16.00.28.jpg

2013-07-20 11.20.07LR.jpg

2013-07-20 11.51.06LR.jpg

IMG_3928bLR.jpg

IMG_3929bLR.jpg

Looks like your rocket exceeded it's sims by a good margin, must be that slick paint job you put on it. Anyway, congratulations on a great job. Did you fly it dual deploy? What size chute did you use and how far out was it?

Looks like your rocket exceeded it's sims by a good margin, must be that slick paint job you put on it. Anyway, congratulations on a great job. Did you fly it dual deploy? What size chute did you use and how far out was it?

I did just basic motor eject for the cert flight. My plan was to do the first dual deploy on my second flight, but by that afternoon it was so hot and I was ready to murder my children, so we packed up and headed towards some air conditioning. I ended up going with a 36" chute and it landed about 1/4 mile from the pad.

Well...well....well!

Congratulations...outstanding to see you FINALLY fly something for a cert!
See, it wasn't so bad....was it?

Now ya got some flying confidence & ya can start using DD so ya don't have to walk so far.

Ps. After all this and ya forgot to change your signature to LEVEL 1. :facepalm::wink:

Back