Great success with Laser Cutting By John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Brain and brain, what is brain!?!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Recently I made my first foray into laser cutting for my Biohazard build. After surveying several commercial services I settled on Laser Cutting By John, which offered *by far* the lowest minimum price for a small job like mine. The minimum cutting time was still quite a bit more than I needed for that one rocket, so I bundled in another upcoming build.

John patiently tolerated a very long email chain where I worked out all the kinks in my design files. Eventually we got it all figured out and the fins came out great.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1463756387.066439.jpg

Ultimately I got the fins (and other goodies) for two rockets for $20 delivered to my door. Thumbs up.

KenECoyote

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Great pricing! Thanks for the info and sharing your experience! :)

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
I was JUST thinking about exactly this - there's a build idea I've been kicking around and I'd need some high-quality wood fins... LCBJ sounds like it would be a million times easier (and, in the long run, cheaper) than days of cursing and doing it myself by hand (note: With patience and a scroll saw and sanding, I could probably get "pretty good". But I don't have a scroll saw and sawing by hand would take....forever.

Did you ship him the wood or was $20 for "I send you my file, you send me fins?" That's really reasonable.

neil_w

Brain and brain, what is brain!?!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ship him the wood or was $20 for "I send you my file, you send me fins?" That's really reasonable.
It was the latter. I specified the type of wood I want (medium weight balsa, some 3/32" and some 1/8") and he supplied it. There was a bit of delay while he was waiting for delivery of one of the balsa stocks.

Cutting speed and hence cost (and shipping, I'd presume) depends on the material. Balsa cuts super-fast, so I was able to cut a bunch of parts for a low price. If you're talking 1/8" plywood or something like that, you can expect that it cuts more slowly and therefore might cost more, but the only way to know what that all boils down to is to send him the DXF file(s) and get a quote. In case your order ends up under the minimum, you might want to have some other ideas in mind for some additional parts you can get cut at the same time, or maybe just get some extra fins.