Great Rocket Day Ruined

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyVT

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, great rocket day ruined. Flew 7 perfect flights, 2X M's, 1X L, 1X J, 3X I's at QCRS. Two flights over 10K feet, perfect recoveries on all.

I come home and somebody ranover and killed my dog. We just lost our other dog in November. We had both for over 7 years. He was a great dog too. I owed him quite a bit because he helped comfort my family while I was deployed to a combat zone.

Its a residential section and people drive way too fast through here. Well above 25mph. My wife even saw the guy who did it speeding away. I might try to find the vehicle tomorrow morning. Having to take care of the girls, they are a mess.

My neighbor has 4 kids, all 7yrs old and under, and my daughter is 4. We were both concerned with this problem even before this happened.

Please encourage people to drive the posted speed limit in residential sections.

IMG_0037.jpg

So sorry to hear this tragedy. Please tell your girls to remember the good times and be thankful for the time they did have with him. I've lost 3 to old age and they were like children to us and it hurts just as deeply. Try a rescue shelter and no- the new pup won't replace the buddy they had, but you'll be giving a dog a good forever home the girls can come to love again and they reciprocate with all the loyalty and love inherent in a dog's heart. Rest his soul. Walk in peace, brother and take time to grieve. Walk in peace.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are family.

I'd suggest that you contact your local government, newspapers, TV news agencies, and begin to put pressure on the government to take steps to discourage speeding on your street. One death is too many, and the next time, it might not be a pet. You might set up a video camera to catch people in action, and/or convince the police to park a cruiser for while (it does wonders to get speeds to drop).

That sure would ruin my day and days after.
Our dog is coming to the end of his time. 12yrs
I cant even think about that day without getting choked up.
I feel for you big time!

Last edited:
"I might try to find the vehicle tomorrow morning."

Be careful there. If you can be calm and confront, then maybe so. Me, I'd get real hot and there would be a physical exchange (or worse). If that happened with you then you'd end up in county-lockup and the ass-hat would go on about his business driving too fast, etc.

The only thing I have seen work for any extended period of time is speed-humps (bumps). I hate 'em but they slow down traffic.

I am sorry for your loss, deeply so.

So sorry to hear about this. Dogs are family and I know how it feels to lose one of them. This should be a punishable crime and I hope you can find the driver and find some peace.

Report what she saw to the police. Let them do what they can.

Chasing the truck down will be a fruitless waste of time (even if you find it), and only make the stress and pain increase. There's no closure to be had at the end of that road. Screaming, sueing, beating, burning trucks out, none of it ever has led to anything good in my experience.

Sorry for your family's loss.

Very sorry to hear about your dog. Yes for sure try to be calm if you find the person who did this. Did the dog get out or how did he or she get in the street?

So sorry for your loss. I know our furry friends contribute quite a bit to our metal health and become an extension of the family. I feel for your children.

As has been stated already, don't try to handle this yourself. Get in touch with your local PD and report what you know, then get in touch with your local government and petition for speed bumps/humps to be installed on your street. We have them on the main road into our neighborhood. I don't mind them so much as I mind the people who crawl across them at a snails pace thinking they'll damage their vehicle if they go any faster :facepalm:.

Very sorry to hear this. Driving 20 in residential areas has a huge benefit to traffic safety. Not just for avoiding accidents, but also making car-pedestrian accidents much less likely to be fatal.

My condolences for your losses. I fear that one of mine will suffer a similar fate. I have done all I can to try to teach them to stay out of the street, but they just don't get it. Our neighborhood is used by many as a cut-through and I live at one end of a curve.......

A couple years ago we supposedly had someone in the neighborhood shooting dogs that were "trespassing". I lost 2 during the period of time in question. We have had others that just "disappeared". Daughter usually finds them in the woods (possibly due to coyotes).

So sorry to hear about your loss. My dogs are just like my family to me, and having something like this would break my heart.

Regarding speeding and stuff, people drive like idiots. If your wife saw who did it, have you tried contacting the police & giving a description/where to find the idiot? At least in California, there is a law on the books that if you hit a dog, you have to stop and report it. Not sure about your state. Sometimes they don't act excited about doing things, but they should respond to people with a complaint (and maybe set up a speed trap some time?).

Growing up, my friends and I used to play all the time on our neighborhood streets, there isn't a chance anybody can do that safely nowadays.

Thanks everyone. We did notify police about the speeding. There must have been some teenagers or something driving like crazy last night because we heard screaming tires multiple times a few hours after it happened. Maybe we can get a speed-bump put in. I walked the neighborhood and spoke to neighbors, but never found the vehicle. Its somewhat distressing that they didn't stop. I'll chalk it up to speeding through a residential section while looking down at your iPhone. The idea of intentional strike is tough to think about.

I spoke to several neighbors and they share the same concern. There are many young kids, my 4yr old included, along our street. My next door neighbor has 4 kids under the age of 7 who routinely play out in the front yard. He's also upset about it. He puts out a bright green sign and flag that says "kids playing" when they do, but a bunch of folks in the neighborhood give him lots of grief about it.

He was a good dog and great companion for my wife. He basically was her shadow - "shadow" was the nickname we actually gave him. He was invaluable to my wife to keep her company when I deployed overseas to Yemen in 2014. She's devastated. The whole family is. We just lost our other dog in November. We got those dogs a few months apart 7 years ago, and now we lose both 3 months apart despite a 9yr age difference. Strange and unfortunate timing.

Thanks everyone. We did notify police about the speeding. There must have been some teenagers or something driving like crazy last night because we heard screaming tires multiple times a few hours after it happened. Maybe we can get a speed-bump put in. I walked the neighborhood and spoke to neighbors, but never found the vehicle. Its somewhat distressing that they didn't stop. I'll chalk it up to speeding through a residential section while looking down at your iPhone. The idea of intentional strike is tough to think about.

I spoke to several neighbors and they share the same concern. There are many young kids, my 4yr old included, along our street. My next door neighbor has 4 kids under the age of 7 who routinely play out in the front yard. He's also upset about it. He puts out a bright green sign and flag that says "kids playing" when they do, but a bunch of folks in the neighborhood give him lots of grief about it.

He was a good dog and great companion for my wife. He basically was her shadow - "shadow" was the nickname we actually gave him. He was invaluable to my wife to keep her company when I deployed overseas to Yemen in 2014. She's devastated. The whole family is. We just lost our other dog in November. We got those dogs a few months apart 7 years ago, and now we lose both 3 months apart despite a 9yr age difference. Strange and unfortunate timing.

Again, I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

Getting permanent changes to the street will take more than a call to the police. These things need to be elevated to the attention of the local government level to get done. Embarrassing them publicly and shaming them does work, it may be uncool, but not nearly as uncool as injuries or worse.

Here's some examples of my work:

https://bikeportland.org/2015/08/05...ate-state-roads-agency-calls-vandalism-154842

https://bikeportland.org/2015/08/07/media-reports-state-says-will-smooth-sunken-grates-barbur-154967

https://bikeportland.org/2012/01/04/activist-takes-road-hazard-fix-into-own-hands-for-under-20-64616

https://bikeportland.org/2012/01/12...-odot-repaves-danger-spots-on-hall-blvd-65087

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/595164-advocacy-thread-what-have-you-done-today.html

Some folks don't understand how important pets can be and have a hard time understanding how devastating it can be to lose one. Glad to see so many folks here who understand. I'm very sorry for the loss that your family has suffered, and the fact that what should have been such a great day in your memory will now be linked with such a sad event.

Sincere condolences.

Tony

Sorry to hear your dog was killed in front of your home.

I've got to believe that all dogs go to Heaven.

No truer companion.

So sorry to hear you lost your companion in that way. It is bad enough to lose one due to old age. Had a dog or two around for 43 years now. Thankfully all of them lived good long lives. I live on a pretty busy city street (25 mph speed limit) and most cars that pass by are moving faster than that. I've seen plenty pulled over by the police. That being said, we as the owners have the ultimate responsibility for our pets safety. Don't know what happened in your case, but if it should ever happen that one of my pets ran into the street and be injured or killed I would blame myself only. I don't expect any driver speeding or not, to be liable for hitting my pet that ran out in front of his/her vehicle.

Our current little girls:
daisy molly new pic.jpg

Man, I too send my condolences. It's hard enough to lose them naturally but to a senseless act is worse.

I'll add my condolences. We lost one of our dogs about two weeks ago too (ours to a suspected Brown Recluse bite), and my 5 year old is taking it particularly hard as he was "her puppy". I hope your 4 yo in particular is coming along with their grief, and is approaching the focusing on good memories point.

Take care, and drive everyone in your town crazy until you get some speed bumps. I live on a pass through type street in a neighborhood with lots of young children, and until we got multiple speed bumps a few years ago I wouldn't take my kids in the front yard even if I was with them because fools though going 50+ in a 25 was a good idea. There is a particular satisfaction after speed bumps go in when you hear the gunned engine, followed by the breaks and LOUD clunk when the underside of some idiot's car finds the speed bump for the first time.

I am so sorry to hear this...
Time will go by...
Please try to be at peace with your family...
Your dog is in a better place..

Teddy

Back