Great Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NICE! I was on the fence about buying this, but it looks great, so I may make the splurge once the price on everything drops post-Turkeyday.

It’s a fun kit…super water slide decals! But I might consider papering the fins or get plywood fins. I went ahead and did neither to keep down weight for the black powder motors. We shall see how that goes…will try to use a BIG chute!😳

Looks great, Bill! She'll fly nice on the E16 and F15, but I'd definitely recommend a larger chute. What was your final weight?

Are we at this point in life that we care the nose cone is too long?

Not even a little bit. Was never really a big fan of the small Goblin because it was so small. To me it was just another rocket.

The upscale on the other hand has my interest and I actually like the nose cone the way it is. I do think the body tube looks a little long but again, not comparing it to the original, just think it looks too long.

Was never really a big fan of the small Goblin because it was so small. To me it was just another rocket.
The attraction of the Goblin was that it was a *small* rocket that took a *big* motor. Think of it as the "Camaro" of rockets. The Gen1 Camaro was a fairly small car that came with a beefy V-8, which made the car a ton of fun. That's why the name became a legend. The Goblin was a little rocket that took a "D" at a time when the D was the biggest motor you could get, which made the rocket a ton of fun, and that's why the Goblin is so well loved among rocketeers.

The attraction of the Goblin was that it was a *small* rocket that took a *big* motor. Think of it as the "Camaro" of rockets. The Gen1 Camaro was a fairly small car that came with a beefy V-8, which made the car a ton of fun. That's why the name became a legend. The Goblin was a little rocket that took a "D" at a time when the D was the biggest motor you could get, which made the rocket a ton of fun, and that's why the Goblin is so well loved among rocketeers.

I get the appeal of big motors in small rockets. I just never cared for the design in a small package. I feel the design works better as a larger model.

The upscale on the other hand has my interest and I actually like the nose cone the way it is. I do think the body tube looks a little long but again, not comparing it to the original, just think it looks too long.
I'm digging the upscale. To me, the long nose and body tube are proportioned to the 4 wide fins. I think it looks perfect the way it is. Definitely going to have to get me one of these.

My final all up weight with F motor and large chute was 503 grams!😯

503 with the F15 on board is still 400ish without motor. Running that through OR I'm seeing only 24.6mph off a 6ft rod which is too low. Even flying off an 8 ft rail would only give you 28.4 mph which you could probably get away with. I generally shoot for 30 mph minimum off the rod but the added stability of the rail would probably allow you to get away with 28 on a calm day.

Honestly, an E20 would be ideal for that rocket.

Last edited:
clusters can satisfy your need for speed :)

Clusters are about the technical challenge and liking clusters. A bigger single motor is essentially always available that will deliver more performance for less money with lower risk of non-nominal flights.

So I've been OCDing about clusters lately...

Clusters are fun if you have the right launcher. They can be frustrating if you’re trying to use the stock controller.

Also, this one is built so it’s a little hard to change now

Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

503 with the F15 on board is still 400ish without motor. Running that through OR I'm seeing only 24.6mph off a 6ft rod which is too low. Even flying off an 8 ft rail would only give you 28.4 mph which you could probably get away with. I generally shoot for 30 mph minimum off the rod but the added stability of the rail would probably allow you to get away with 28 on a calm day.

Honestly, an E20 would be ideal for that rocket.

clusters can satisfy your need for speed :)
Here is my Great Goblin off a 4' rod with an E12-4 and two A10s*:

For clusters, I recommend BP Rocket Starters from MJG.

(* $10 at Hobby Lobby)

Last edited:
Back