Graphite Powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeggman

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to this Forum but not new to rocketry. I've been launching rockets now since the 70's. Anyway, I made a discovery the other day that was a head slap moment. About 10 years ago I was very involved with my 2 sons with Boy Scouts, was a Scout Master, and then became a Unit Commissioner. As Commissioner, I was involved with 15 Units (Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts) and spent a lot of time with all of them. Well to make a long story short, many Fathers have become overly involved with the "Pinewood Derby" to the point that the boys have sometimes had really very little to do with it. The Dads naturally look for performance enhancing techniques which include the use of graphite powder. After conducting a test launch of a new rocket the other day, I was confused about the rockets poor performance. It weathercocked, and its altitude was poor. Checking the launch rod I discovered a fair amount of corrosion. After sanding it down some, I then had the wild idea of using graphite powder on it. The next day its performance with the same engine was incredible!

There's a good NAR r&d report in there to compare / contrast moly, PTFE, boron nitride, tungsten disulfide, etc.

Interesting idea. Of course sanding it down would help all by itself, but I like the idea of a dry lubricant. I'm going to be using a tower at BALLS next week and I can see that some graphite on the tower guides might help and would be easier on the paint than a wet lubricant that might interact with the paint.

Tony

Also check out Blaster brand teflon spray (not the Blaster silicone!!)

Plain steel launch rods should probably be kept oiled. I recommend stainless steel launch rods, and a bit of graphite is OK. For my Mark I COS tower with aluminum guides, I favored a molybdenum disulfide spray. I had started building a larger tower launcher with 1" diameter aluminum tubing that would have used an adhesive Teflon tape.

I have used powered graphite for years on launch rods.
My method is using a 3M Maroon Scotch Bright Scuff Pad and Spray Teflon Silicone for cleaning.
Usually at the beginning of the launch season. (Though not as often as I like lately)
And a little Powered Graphite at the beginning of each launch.
Like you, I discovered this at the Cub Scouts.
Not as an instructor, but as a Cub Scout and my first race.
And, Welcome to the Forum!

Back