Graphing a Jolly Logic Altimeter Two

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I've recently acquired an Altimeter Two. There's a lot of data provided by the little thing. Is there any easy way to input this data into a program and get a nice graph of the flight?

As far as I understand it provides summary data but not a log of periodic readings during the flight... exactly what sort of graph were you hoping for? The Altimeter 3 is the one that provides a full flight log.

This is the data from one of my flights using an Altimeter Two. This is ALL of the data. There is nothing to graph.

Apogee 2,453
Top Speed (mph) 388
Burn Time (sec) 4.15
Peak Accel 11.5
Avg. Accel 4.4
Coast to Apogee (sec) 7.6
Apogee to Eject (sec) -0.8
Ejection Altitude 2,414
Descent Speed (mph) 35
Flight Duration (sec) 58.4

I realize that is all the data. And I realize any graph created from that data would only be ballpark.

I could manually graph a chart based on the static data provided. It'd be nice if we could input the basic data into a graph. Visual comparison by overlay would be nice.

I think this could easily be done. By entering some data into Excel and scaling/smoothing for plotting on a graph such as the one Jolly Logic has on their website already (below). The things you really miss though are the most important events that you are often looking for (besides altitude), such as the exact apogee and altitude event times and the accelerometer readings associated with those, delays in main chute canopy deploying, any anomalies on ascent, etc.

JL.jpg

Last edited:
I have a AltimeterTwo, and use it often. It gives several "stats" about the flight, but this is vastly different from the RAW data you get from a Stratologger or an RRC3 "logging" altimeter.

I use Excel to save the flight data from the Alt2, but there is really nothing to graph. I just store the number in a spreadsheet.

Lets use Zeus-cat's data from post #3 above as a graphing example.
We have time and altitude data.
The flight starts at 0 seconds and 0 ft.
The ejection charge fired 0.8 seconds before apogee at 2414 ft.
Apogee occurred at burn 4.15 + coast 7.6 = 11.75 seconds at 2453 ft.
The flight ends at 0 ft and 58.4 seconds
We can graph the start of the flight at 0 sec @ 0ft altitude. That's our first point of data.
Ejection is 10.95 sec @ 2414 ft. our second plot point.
Apogee plots at 11.75 sec @ 2453 ft.
Last we mark the end of the flight at 58.4 sec @ 0 ft altitude.

Here's your graph.

FlightGraph.JPG

That's what I was trying to say. Nothing of huge interest here. In fact I only use the JL2 as a ride along with more capable altimeters to give a second vote on altitude which is approved by the powers that be (which is sometimes important, BTW).

Latest posts

Back