Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Las Vegas Vacation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornyl

Reaction score
Hi all,
We are Flying to Pheonix, Then Grand Canyon for a few days then Bryce and Zion for a few days then to Las Vegas. Does anybody have any good advice on affordable nice places to stay near the Grand Canyon, and/or Bryce Zion area's. We are not campers but more the Hotel/motel /resort kind of people. I heard you can stay on motels on American Indian reservations?
Cornyl

Flagstaff is probably your best bet for affordable lodging close to the Grand Canyon. Check out The Grand Canyon Railway www.thetrain.com. They have package deals to stay in their decent hotel at the station or at the Canyon itself. It's nice ride up to the Canyon but you only get to spend a couple hours there. For me it was fine, kinda like Chevy Chase in National Lampoons. Once you see it that's about all there is to it.

Hi all,
We are Flying to Pheonix, Then Grand Canyon for a few days then Bryce and Zion for a few days then to Las Vegas. Does anybody have any good advice on affordable nice places to stay near the Grand Canyon, and/or Bryce Zion area's. We are not campers but more the Hotel/motel /resort kind of people. I heard you can stay on motels on American Indian reservations?
Cornyl
There are some very nice little cabin-like motel rooms near Panquitch UT called Harold's Place(435)676-2350. I believe they are between Bryce and Panquitch. My son and I stayed in one back in '03. Back in '07 I stayed in Cedar City UT. There are a number of motels there.

I've been to each of those destinations, some a few times. The little town of Page, AZ is a good centralized location and it's near Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon Dam which is an attraction itself. The town is within one of the reservations and has several national motel chains represented:

https://www.cityofpage.org/

If you have time to set it up the best way to travel to the Grand Canyon (south rim) is on the Grand Canyon Railroad,

https://www.thetrain.com/

followed by a stay at the El Tovar Hotel, which is situated right at the rim. I stayed there in '03 and it's worth the price.

Zion and Bryce both have excellent hiking trails, and bus tours if you're not all hikers. Sounds like a great trip!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Great information. Thankyou JoeLaunchman,Darian Rachal,El Cheapo.
Cornyl

My advice is WHATEVER you do, DO NOT go to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I did the same trip two years ago (Las Vegas, Zion, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon) and it was the BIGGEST tourist trap that side of the Missippi. Billions of cars and old people in buses and not worth it. It was the biggest disappointment of my entire trip.

Visit the North Rim instead. Much less people, and just as (or more in my opinion) impressive than the South Rim. My entire time at the South Rim was fighting crowds, large lines of traffic, and about 1000 buses of gray hairs!

IMHO, that place suck arse! I would NEVER visit the South Rim again or even wish it on my worst enemy.

The North Rim on the other hand gives you a much more intimate experience - hardly any crowds or other people for that matter.

South Rim = You like Disney World on the crowdiest months of the year.
North Rim = You like experiencing nature in an intimate fashion without standing next to a railing with 1000 other people clicking cameras, yelling at their kids, and shooting home movies.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Cornyl.

I live right at the base of Zions national park. We are doing a 4 day launch for easter. in cedar city, thursday through sunday morning. you ought to pack a rocket or two and come fly with us.

Also add Aerotech to your tour. its also in Cedar city. Just call in advance, tell them you'd like the nickle tour, and they will most likely show you around!

My advice is WHATEVER you do, DO NOT go to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I did the same trip two years ago (Las Vegas, Zion, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon) and it was the BIGGEST tourist trap that side of the Missippi. Billions of cars and old people in buses and not worth it. It was the biggest disappointment of my entire trip.

Visit the North Rim instead. Much less people, and just as (or more in my opinion) impressive than the South Rim. My entire time at the South Rim was fighting crowds, large lines of traffic, and about 1000 buses of gray hairs!

IMHO, that place suck arse! I would NEVER visit the South Rim again or even wish it on my worst enemy.

The North Rim on the other hand gives you a much more intimate experience - hardly any crowds or other people for that matter.

South Rim = You like Disney World on the crowdiest months of the year.
North Rim = You like experiencing nature in an intimate fashion without standing next to a railing with 1000 other people clicking cameras, yelling at their kids, and shooting home movies.

Just my $0.02.
Daniel, You must have not taken the Desert View drive at the South Rim. It was June in '03 when I was there. The area you are talking about is very crowded with buses, but the Desert View is different and has the part with the observation tower and is just cars; at least I do not recall any buses. I was at the North Rim in '07 and while it is impressive it really cannot compare to the views along the Desert View drive. It does have it's own 'rural charm' and is well worth the trip if you are in S. Utah and do not want to make the long drive to the South Rim.

Give the South Rim another chance and take the Desert View drive. I think you'll be impressed.

Such is the very reason to take the train. No traffic, No Traffic, No Traffic. It's less than 100yd walk from the station to the rim. I've heard, on certain weekends or times of year it, can be pretty crazy up there. Not to mention, on the way back the train gets robbed. Pretty cool when they jump from horseback at a full gallop onto the moving train with guns blazin'.

Well, if you're in the area, definitely check out Petrified National Park. Awesome place! Amazing to see petrified wood millions of years old (or 6000 years old if thats what you believe) scattered all over the place - entire trees broken up lying on the ground.

Probably one of the few national parks where they search your car when you LEAVE the park.

We are doing a 4 day launch for Easter. in Cedar City,

Thanks for the invite but we are planning are our trip in July.

This should be on another thread but do you get better launch altitude
at higher altitudes (thinner air)?
Cornyl

The road to the north rim is not open year round. Check before you go out there. I was just at the south rim last weekend. Since it is "out of season" there weren't that many people there. We hiked below the rim for about 4 hours. It was absolutely wonderful!

If it were in summer, I can see where the south rim might have too many people. Not in late March though.

Have fun on your trip. We thoroughly enjoyed ours.

Also try "Valley of Fire" about 50 mile north of Las Vegas on I-15
one out of the way wonder, there a place within it called "Rainbow Vista", WOW it sure is! side note: that the place that Captain Kirk died (OH, MY) and the Nexis roamed by.:D

We stayed at one of the hotels in the park right on the rim of the canyon. Not a 5 star place by any means, but you are right there. Not good if you walk in your sleep though!!!

https://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging-289.html

The entrance fee for the Grand Canyon is $25 for each vehicle to get in for a week. Zion and Bryce may charge that too. The annual pass for all National Parks is $80.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the tips.
A friend of ours had mentioned the same idea of getting the National park pass instead of paying at each park. I will check that out.

We booked "the train" , and hotel package. A little pricey but I think it is worth the convenience of staying right at the south rim.

Good thing Vegas is last on this trip cause I don't think I'll lose any money,cause I won't have any to bet.

Cornyl

Back