GPS tracking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericm541

Reaction score
I'm looking to move from a radio beacon for tracking to GPS, I know there are options, what are recommendations, any pros/cons of the recommendation.

Interesting that almost all the comments on this thread are defining the problem and not current information regarding the OP's question.
Thanks to Adrian for updating Featherweights info. but a month from now it will once again be outdated. That's because he is constantly upgrading and updating his devices.

Sharon and I have been fortunate to be involved in the development of the Featherweight GPS and the Eggfinder GPS. I started out my tracking experience with the CSI tracking beacon and still use them in all of our rockets that they fit in. We have over twenty high power rockets that use GPS systems for recovery. Most of them have an Eggfinder permanently mounted in the nosecone, and include separate batteries for it and the FW GPS.
Due to the cost of the FW, we swap those out so we have two GPS units and a CSI button beacon in any rocket that flies over 10,000 ft.
I think that one of the reasons we were chosen to "beta" test these systems is because we fly a lot of rockets and document all of our flights. Since we have been involved, both the Eggfinder and the FW GPS have undergone extensive upgrades and continue to provide excellent tracking capabilities. The main difference between them is that the Eggfinder is a kit that requires soldering skills, and the FW GPS is completely built and more expensive.
Another difference is that the FW GPS has lots of extra features but requires an I-phone to access them. The Eggfinder can be modified with add on modules, but the basic RX/TX does the job quite well on it's own. Like any complex electronic device, both of these systems take time to learn, but will improve your chances of recovery dramatically once you do learn them. They also have excellent customer service, Adrian, Kevin and Cris are all members here on TRF, and readily respond to any questions regarding their products.

I've used Eggfinder/Eggfinder Mini with an LCD base station for my flights that go out of sight. They work great with a smartphone (punch the GPS coordinates into the map), though I'm sure the LCD-GPS would be a nice upgrade as well. No knock on the other systems, just what's worked for me. My soldering skills are not great, but the GPS units worked pretty much the first time I turned them on.

I also use the Eggfinder mini and punch the coordinates into my phone's map. Then can walk directly to the rocket. Did this with my L1 flight since I could not see exactly where it landed in tall grass.

Last edited:
I've had really good luck with Altus Metrums Telemetrum, Open source open hardware works with android, windows and mac (no iphone though). Does dual deploy too, recently got a telemega for some upcoming cluster projects.

I prefer to keep my GPS trackers and flight computers seperate for, reasons. I primarily use TeleGPS units. They're small, reliable, and will run all day on a 400mAh battery. For the primary ground station in the field I use a 7" tablet with a USB OTG cable to connect the TeleDongle. I also configure them to spit out APRS alongside the Altus FSK telemetry protocols, so I can use a handheld radio or a SDR to decode position info if I have issues with the FSK transmissions. They're all 70cm licensed ham band transmitters.
I also have BRB GPS units. They're 70cm APRS only but the 100mW radio unit is nice if you're planning on something quite aggressive that will go high.
I've not played with other units yet, but am planning on grabbing a FeatherWeight GPS in the near future.

I use a MissleWorks T3 system and have had no issues over the last 4 years. I use it with the Rocket Locator app on my android cell phone. Simple, quick, and accurate.

I've used EggFinder GPS and Missileworks RTX extensively for years. Both have been robust and have always walked me to within several feet of the rocket.

Back