GPS Rocket Locator for android (Now released !)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, there are 42 peoples who downloaded the software since I published it.
I want to know if some tried it in real with their rockets ? Or some have comments ?

Thanks.

it's comming I still missing the GPS , it should arrive this week , for now the bluetooth and xbee works fine on the bench

what version of android are you running on your phone. unless he changed the code, it only runs on the latest version (4.2 or jelly bean).

also, the radios he used aren't legal for use in the us unless you are a ham.

Yes, I have a tech license. I guess for those 430Mhz transmitters you would have to redesign your transmitter board and
then I am not sure what type of data they would transmitt from the GPS module, APRS...?:confused:

By the way, in your new post thread about this you mention in the assmbly tips about other components
like resistors, capacitors, LED, voltage regulators etc. Could you give a list of these components also needed to build
transmitter and receiver? Great job on your transmitter/receiver design, just the right size for 54mm rocket!:cool:

THX, John

Yes, I have a tech license. I guess for those 430Mhz transmitters you would have to redesign your transmitter board and
then I am not sure what type of data they would transmitt from the GPS module, APRS...?:confused:

By the way, in your new post thread about this you mention in the assmbly tips about other components
like resistors, capacitors, LED, voltage regulators etc. Could you give a list of these components also needed to build
transmitter and receiver? Great job on your transmitter/receiver design, just the right size for 54mm rocket!:cool:

THX, John

I don't believe the 430 mhz transceivers described in this thread are very suitable for use in tracking rockets. All of the info you need to build one of my trackers is located in the first few posts of this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Track-Open-Source-GPS-Tracker-for-Smartphones

If you have any questions about the assembly, please ask them there.

Derek

The 3dr radio sold on '3drobotics dot com' seem to be very good. I ordered one and it's very easy to use, and compatible with any uart GPS. Many guys reported a range on 4-5 km and even 8 km with a patch antena.

My first tracker used those radios. You can read about it here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?46676-Smartphone-GPS-Tracker-Version-1-0

Things I liked about them was the config gui allowed you to change the config over the air and the narrow size.

Things I didn't like was they sometimes wouldn't connect to each other without a lot of power cycles and there is no easy way secure them to a pcb.

I see, thanks for infos.

The first goal of this thread was to show people the software I published and heard comments about it. But the conversations always talk about that the hardware you used to make your transmitter is better.

So, yeah Xbee is better that others transceivers but it cost a lot.

So, yeah Xbee is better that others transceivers but it cost a lot.

I guess that depends on your perspective. Yeah they cost more than the modules you started with, but they have a greater range and there is no restriction on their use. The price difference between the 3dr and xbee radios was pretty small until hobbyking came out with their clones, but you really need two air radios and they don't seem to offer them individually.

Each system has tradeoffs.

I don't believe the 430 mhz transceivers described in this thread are very suitable for use in tracking rockets. All of the info you need to build one of my trackers is located in the first few posts of this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Track-Open-Source-GPS-Tracker-for-Smartphones

If you have any questions about the assembly, please ask them there.

Derek

I am interested in plans (Circuit board and complete list of components and instructions for assembly) for making a 70cm/2M GPS transmitter that are small in size like yours, especially designed for rocket and use small batteries (Lipo) that lasts for at least a day,
similiar to the beeline but with much less options. It just needs to transmitt GPS and maybe altitude. How it transmits GPS I am not sure,
APRS ... ? It should not need a special receiver. I can receive data with my hamradio and feed the signal into laptop with decoding
software like MIXW.

THX, John

I don't have any experience with aprs transmitters. Sorry.

All the info you need to build my tracker should be in the Rocket Track thread.

Neither my Rocket Track system or this system are aprs transmitters. The gps in the rocket sends the nmea strings over the air so the smartphone knows where the rocket is. It is very simple. Both systems work the exact same way which is why the hardware and software are compatible.

Derek

what version of android are you running on your phone. unless he changed the code, it only runs on the latest version (4.2 or jelly bean).

also, the radios he used aren't legal for use in the us unless you are a ham.

Android version 2.3.6, dooough,...I don't know if this updateable?

Probably not without hacking the phone. The wireless carrier and the phone manufacturers have locked the phone to limit updates to those issued by the carrier. This benefits the phone manufacturer because they sell another phone, and the carrier because if you want the carrier subsidized discount price of new phone you need to sign a new 2 year contract. Of course you can keep your old contract with benefits such as unlimited internet services if you pay full price for an unlocked phone, typically $600 for the latest Android phone, versus the $99 to $199 carrier subsidized price with a new contract.

try it anyway. it doesn't cost anything to try!

fantasiiio said it should run on gingerbread (2.3.6). It didn't run on older versions for me but it could have been the way I built it.

if you are looking to replace your phone and use a gsm carrier, the nexus 4 is great!

I will work on it now, I was busy with my Tripoli Prefecture and our first launch.

By coincidence I received my bluetooth module and hooked it up to my receiver last night for the sole purpose of trying your software.
I'll let you know how it worked out when I get a chance to fly a rocket again.

Update 1

Got it to connect to my smartphone and after some frustration trying to figure out how to connect to the Bluetooth device within the software it now beeps the position of the GPS transmitter.
You might want to complete the translation of the software to English.

One other thing I'd like to see is the possibility to set the displayed altitude to 0 at launch site.

Ok I finally get all my stuff and it............................. WORK :fly::handshake:

rocketl_zps041c6be4.jpg

Ok I finally get all my stuff and it............................. WORK

Sweet :D

How was it ? Did your rocket goes far ?
what is that chaotic blue path ? Is it you returning back with your rocket ?
Did you have fun searching your rocket ? Does the software helped you ?

EDIT:
I think you just did some walking test... isn't it ?

Ok, I have now managed to get my radio connection working.

I have some questions regarding your software.
1. Can one turn off the beep which comes with every data package?
2. For what is the "radar" option, does the beep rate increase if you get closer to the rocket?

Btw. very nice software, thanks for that.

Hi,

Received this link in another thread. I suspect this software would work with the new EggFinder GPS tracker just released.
Receives NMEA words at 1/sec as if one has a USB GPS device connected to a laptop.
I do not have an Android phone and wonder if a Google map could be stored on a device or if an api to use OSM maps like APRSdroid would be possible? https://aprsdroid.org/osm/. I have a Nexus 7 2013 without the cell phone in it.
APRSDroid is not workable unless it has an internet connection either by WiFi/cell network or connection to a Bluetooth TNC. (for Ham radio APRS work.)
One can't simply turn APRSDroid on and track oneself on a map with a GPS without some sort of connection. A "GPS rocket locator" that could use cached maps would be very helpful for remote locations without cell phone service and Android devices without cell phones in them. Any advice appreciated Kurt KC9LDH

Last edited:
Ok,

I connected a cheap RBT-1000 B/T GPS as the "red" GPS. I see the downloaded maps are stored in cache. My little problem is the program locked up several times. Might be the RBT-1000 57,600 baud rate that's swamping the app. I'm going to get together a Bluetooth 9600bps EggFinder unit and see if that is more stable. Kurt

I used the Rocket Locator with a new GPS kit called the Egg Finder. I believe Rocket GPS
Locator will work with anything that transmits NMEA words (as opposed to APRS for Ham Radio). Those who are bedeviled getting the bits together for a homemade unit, might want to consider an EggFinder. Get a small 15watt soldering iron, bright light and magnification and it's a nice build.

The 57,600 baud unit I used for the test was not stable for me. The 9600bps EF receiver works fine. Here's the post link

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...st-GPS-RF-Tracking-System&p=692787#post692787

Kurt

Last edited:
I was futzing with my Nexus 7 2013 and looked at a routine auto-update and it said it updated the GPS Rocket Locator to v1.1.0. Sounds good.
It's pretty stable for me as long as I don't have any other B/T devices connected other than the incoming data for the remote rocket GPS. Kurt

I don't understand what is exactly the problem. You cannot connect to another device ? Or if there is a second BT device it conflict and crash the software ?
Can you explain a little more ?

Crap...
I'll revert the new version. It's not supposed to crash. Thanks for the info.

Back