GPS options

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSLimo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

I've been out of the loop for almost 10 years an I'm not sure how far recovery using GPS for rockets has come.

I've used a dog tracker "ROAMEO" that's been out of business for years with good success. However, dog trackers can get pricey and I'm wondering if anyone has had success with GPS trackers.

I looked briefly into the personal trackers like the spytec gl300 that can be purchased for only $50 and their minimum monthly plan has no activation cost for $24.95/month. I contacted them and you can pay for any month with no additional charges for activation or cancellation.

If I wanted to just fly at MWP it costs only $25 for that month. Seems like a simple plan to just put one in the nosecone and locate with my phone.

What other options have come around in the past 10 years on tracking?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

There are several great units out there, and it depends on your features and wants. Egg timer mini or the feather weight GPS would be my recommendation as I have experience with them. Missile works, Altus metrum, and severs others work great too.

I love my featherweight. If you have an android phone that is a problem. Others amazing system that Adrian put together.

I agree with Dave. If you get a technician ham license (pretty easy via neighborhood ham club) your options for gps and non-gps tracking increase substantially. If you get the license, check out Byonics-they make a small 2 meter GPS-APRS transmitter ($99) that runs at 2 watts. Also, Big Red Bee has several 2 meter GPS units. Recently eggtimer produced a 430 MHz gps kit. For the license free 900 MHz band also check, Big Red Bee, Egg Finder, and the neat small T3 by Missile Works . No matter which one you choose, there is a bit of a learning curve and finding a fellow flyer with GPS experience to help you would be invaluable.
By the way, many flyers utilize both radio directional finding (non-GPS) and GPS tracking in the same rocket-better chance of a recovery.
Good luck.

Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden, SC
KG4YGP

A lot of folks are still using pet trackers and they work fine, as long as your launch site has decent cell service.

A cheaper cellular-based solution, at least as long as T-Mobile keeps its 2G network alive, is an MD-601 tracker ($32) with a $5 a month Speed Talk sim card. Or for larger rockets, you can just stick into the rocket an older Android phone with the free Insane Rockets app. Both of these options are discussed in the thread at https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/cheap-cellular-trackers-update-and-where-are-the-3gs.151170/.

Point to point GPS systems are the most popular these days, more expensive but they can be used anywhere (cell service not needed), and they provide flight data as well. Prices vary widely depending on features (ones that have GPS plus an altimeter and a flight computer, such as the TeleMetrum, are most expensive). You need to buy both a transmitter that goes in the rocket, a receiver that stays with you on the ground, and a phone or tablet (connects via Bluetooth or USB to receiver). If you like building kits, the Eggfinder is the cheapest system and it gets good reviews. The Missile Works T3 is the cheapest assembled system of which I am aware, even with the recent price increase to $175 for the complete system.

Good luck,
Bill

Back