Gotta Love The I-ROC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Such a sweet rocket. Strong enough for a I motor, ph balanced for a H128 ;), Seriously, I love the I-ROC. Great rocket for my favorite low-budget motor, the H128. After trashing my first I-ROC, I decided that this rocket was worth replaceing.

Epoxying%20I-ROC.jpg

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
Wow.

Great job Doug.:)

Put an I600R in there.:D

Hmm.... I600?... maybe... But if my Megablast finds out... she may get mad. I promised her an I600 ;).

Then buy TWO I600s... Thats an easy solution to THAT problem... ;) :rolleyes:

Nice lookin rocket... I'd buy one, but I already have two 5" rockets in the works....

I noticed while we were digging up your first Iroc that the fins were .125" plywood, and not all the way to the motor mount. Why is this? Wouldent it have been stronger if you had them glued the the motor mount and foamed or sumpthin?

Anyways, dont fly it on another one of those ancient Kosdon loads like you did the first one... ;) itd be just like my sister when she was very young... Snap herself with a rubber band, cry her eyes out, and do it again out of curiosity "I wonder if it will still hurt if I snap this thing on my hand twice..." "I wonder if my rocket will get destroyed if I fly it on this 10 year old motor again..." ;) :D

I scored an I-ROC kit in an auction early this year.

When I built it I kinda didn't follow the instructions and it turned into a totally different rocket, I call it the Double-D.

The Double-D stands 8.5' tall, has a 3" motor mount, zipperless w/G10 fins, dual deploy, and the main chute is a Pro-X R9C.

To date, I've sent her up three times on candy. It's an excellent flyer, 0.95 mach and 7,320 feet.

I still have the stock fins and chute that came with the kit if anyone wants them?

I'll just let you have-em, no charge.

Consider it a good will gesture in order to please the rocket gods.

Yes, Barry makes a great I-roc I tell you.

I recomend them for Level 2 myself even.

Mine has been flying since 1991.

I've added a payload section for dual deploy and call it
the LOC J-Roc.

here is a video that has a preloader picture of it taking off at Michigan International Speedway with a Pro38 J330. The rest of the video is the on board video from the rocket.

https://www.boostervision.com/boostervision/mis/misj330.wmv

Got to love those Pro38s, and My next motor to fly in the I-Roc is the I540, 99% I motor. Those really kicked butt at LDRS, and chosen by 4 out of 5 bowlers.

You will notice NO SPIN on the rocket.

That LOC I-Roc fin construction allows you to build with no outside fillets. Resulting in smooth flights.

Art Upton

Thanks Gunny, Email or Pm me for my addy and shipping info.

Dan

Originally posted by Neil
Anyways, dont fly it on another one of those ancient Kosdon loads like you did the first one... ;) itd be just like my sister when she was very young... Snap herself with a rubber band, cry her eyes out, and do it again out of curiosity "I wonder if it will still hurt if I snap this thing on my hand twice..." "I wonder if my rocket will get destroyed if I fly it on this 10 year old motor again..."

Hey now, don't blame the motor. Frank's I130 was (and is) one of my favorite loads and it has worked every time for me, including in a LOC Vulcanite to 7500 and change, a LOC Expediter to 3400, a LOC Caliber to 4614, and a Binder Jaguar to 4600 and change. It's a great motor. Ya just gotta use electronics with it... I've never trusted Frank's delays.

The rebuild is looking good, Doug! I know that she flies great on the 640 case slow load (Frank calls it an I310)... I bet she'd look good on the J500ST too!

Exactly... He didnt use any electronics to my knowlege, just the BP in the motor... If he builds this one stock again with no electronics... I wouldent doubt if it crashed again, if he used the stock delay... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Neil
Then buy TWO I600s... Thats an easy solution to THAT problem... ;) :rolleyes:

Nice lookin rocket... I'd buy one, but I already have two 5" rockets in the works....

I noticed while we were digging up your first Iroc that the fins were .125" plywood, and not all the way to the motor mount. Why is this? Wouldent it have been stronger if you had them glued the the motor mount and foamed or sumpthin?

Looks like the new IROC kit fins do go to the MMT. At least my year old kit did.

Al
BRS VP

Originally posted by als57
Looks like the new IROC kit fins do go to the MMT. At least my year old kit did.

Correct. The old one didn't. The Old Style I-ROC fins went through the body tube with about a half inch to spare. Then a dowel rod was epoxed on each side of the fin tab against the body tube. The newer "Barry" design, the fin tabs go to the tube.

Yeah mine also had the dowel rods included. When I first looked at it I thought it was the old style and contacted Barry about some new fins.....oops.

Al
BRS VP

I don't really remember, but with the original I-ROC, did we have to cut out the fin slots? I know I had to do that with the Magnum...

Interesting. And motor mount size? 54MM, at least, im hoping... ;)

If not, you oughta cut bigger holes in the CRs, cut new fins out of .25" plywood, widen the fin slots, at let her RIP! :D

Theres no sense in flying a rocket like that on 29MM reloads IMHO... ;) Its just too good to use for 750 foot chip-shots. ;)

Well I guarantee you its at least a 38. After all, when donald suggested the I600, the response was a maybe...:)

38mm. And in this area... that is more then enough. Amesbury is the biggest field I have access to without travel, so H and I's are the only thing I am putting in this puppy :). If I ever want to fly it on a J... A J350 will slide in the motor tube quite nicely ;).

And it does make sense to fly it on H's ;). H128's are very affordable, and it gets a respectable altitude with that motor choice. :)

Neil, I think 1/4 ply fins would be way to big and much to heavy for an I-Roc.

It flys great to a mile on baby-mid J 38mm reloads.

The LOC Big Nuke is your ticket for 54mm and the NUKE 3-EXP for 75mm engines Neil.

Nice Birds, both the Nuke and I-Roc.

Yea, I do like the Big Nuke... But I have a very similar-looking scratch-build that I am midway through, and thats got a 54MM motor mount...

"Amesbury is the only field in the area I can get to without traveling too far"

a-HEM... :D Your forgetting Cherryfield Maine, the best launch site on the east coast! Better than Geneseo, even. :D Sure its 4 hours from the CMASS launch field, but who cares? Its worth it! You could fly that Iroc on a K1275R and get it back, with ease... :D

I suppose I have to agree, H128s are good motors for the CMASS field... I wouldent fly anything bigger than an H at the CMASS field... :(

and, if your only going to fly it on Hs and small Is, .125" is enough... But, if your going to give it a little... er... upgrade... :)D) I would want to put thicker fins on...

Best on the East Coast? Smoking is bad.

Try MDRA in Maryland.

Or maybe Tripoli South Florida.

Metra isn't bad either.

Cherryfield may be big, but I doubt it's a huge Sod Farm.

Whats that supposed to mean? Whats wrong with a blueberry barren? You get free snacks at the Labor Day launch... ;) :D You cant get that in a cow pasture... :D

OK, OK, best field in New England. :rolleyes:

Best field on the east coast IN MY OPION, then... ;) :rolleyes:

Well, in New Eingland, its just CMASS and Pinetree, right? Or is there one in new hampshire...???

Anyways, if its between CMASS and Pinetree, I like Pinetree better... ;) Though CMASS is good because it runs so smoothly...

But there are no lines at Pinetree, thats good...

But no, I really dont have any authority to say Pinetree is the best on the east coast, but its the best I have ever been too, and, in my opion, its the best. :D :eek:

New Hampshire has the best field ever... but it is only accessable in the cold months... when its lakes are solid ;). Then again, you must not mind the cold... but there are diehard rocketeers out there. Jim and I talked about organizing a regional meet on the ice... I like to call it Fire On Ice. Imagine.... M motors in NH!

ANd then go ice-fishing in the hole created by the M! :D ;)

Who needs ice-drills, just point an N2000 upside down at the ice... :D

Back