Got your webcam covered up?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
I few months ago I got a new laptop. This new one has a built in camera and microphone that my old one didn't have. At first I thought "that will come in handy if I ever want to skype of whatever in the future. Well I see this story on the news that says hackers can watch or listen to you anytime. Now I don't think that Russia or NSA or any other hackers would have the least bit of interest in me, BUT it's the idea that if someone wanted to, they could. So I was wondering how many others have their webcams and microphone covered up?

Hey Bill. I dont have a laptop with a camera but I have heard of what you are talking about. Scary!!!!

I do on mine, though not for the reasons you cite. I work in the automotive industry, which typically has significant security around its facilities. I can't go in a customer's facility with a camera or the like exposed. I leave my cell phone in the car most of the time, and have a tamper-resistant sticker cover over my laptop's camera. I could, of course, peel it off when I leave, but then I have to go through the process of having it redone when I go back. I never use Skype anyway...

If they do, I hope they like the view of my couch. Or my grimacing at the screen as I play SWtoR or wait for a CFD run to complete.

yes, I have three layers of cellophane tape over mine. Too many projects in the lab at work that are hush hush.

It's definitely possible for a government agency or hacker to spy on you with your cell phone/webcam. Concerning? Yes. But WHY they would is what dampens my concern. Any agency investing the covert time and expense into spying via cell phone cam and mic, wouldn't waste resources on some random person. Makes no sense.

If for some reason you were a person of interest, worthy of the time and expense of spying, they will get their intel regardless. All you can do it make it more expensive for them :wink:

It's definitely possible for a government agency or hacker to spy on you with your cell phone/webcam. Concerning? Yes. But WHY they would is what dampens my concern. Any agency investing the covert time and expense into spying via cell phone cam and mic, wouldn't waste resources on some random person. Makes no sense.

If for some reason you were a person of interest, worthy of the time and expense of spying, they will get their intel regardless. All you can do it make it more expensive for them :wink:
^^^
This here is my logic. Also, I use my laptop camera enough that it's not worth the time and effort to remove the tape every time leaving residue on top of the camera.

So that's what that little thingy is at the top of my laptops... I have no idea how to turn them on or off or whatever... If they wanna see me surfin in my undies, great. If they wanna see the crap I work on, that's their fault...

I would imagine that with some creative folding one could fashion a cover out of 'tin foil' for laptop computers. and my webcam is probably sitting on a store shelf somewhere...I never bought one :).
Rex

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend a little piece of index card and some electricians tape as a hinge. Cover and uncover as needed.

How difficult to reverse engineer the hack? I'd be curious to see who's watching me....

What about a little picture, suspended about 3" away from said camera device?

A picture of, say, miss June, about 2" x 2".. so that whomever is watching, all they see is miss June.. in all her glory..

What about a little picture, suspended about 3" away from said camera device?

A picture of, say, miss June, about 2" x 2".. so that whomever is watching, all they see is miss June.. in all her glory..
If you can go ahead and send me that picture I'll consider printing it out. Thanks.

The way the battery in my phone is I would know pretty quick if someone was watching or listening. The phone would get warm and the battery would be dead in an hour or two....

The way the battery in my phone is I would know pretty quick if someone was watching or listening. The phone would get warm and the battery would be dead in an hour or two....
So that's why my phone runs down for no apparent reason. I thought my battery needed replacing.:wink:

Back