Got Rocket Fuel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut

Reaction score
Rocket Fuel In Milk Bought In Virginia

(Consumer News, VA, November 30th, 2004, 9:47 p.m.) Government researchers have found elevated levels of toxic rocket fuel in milk bought at Virginia stores, according to FDA records released this week.

The findings were part of a broad search to determine if chemicals used for more than 50 years in solid-rocket fuel and fireworks had infiltrated the nation's food supply. The study followed research last year by an environmental watchdog group that found rocket-fuel chemicals in California lettuce. Government researchers collected 500 samples of lettuce, milk and bottled water from more than a dozen states.

The results noted perchlorate in virtually all the lettuce and milk. In high doses, perchlorate affects thyroid function. Researchers tested three samples of Virginia milk and noted perchlorate levels near or exceeding seven parts-per-billion. While there is no nationally-mandated limits, Massachusetts caps concentration at one part-per-billion; California, six.

A part-per-billion is roughly a drop in an Olympic-sized swimming pool. The Virginia milk contained among the highest chemical concentrations. "We think it is a concern," said Bill Walker of the Environmental Working Group, a Washington-based watchdog organization that has studied the problem for a year. "This is something that should be addressed at the national level."

Neither Walker nor a spokeswoman for Food and Drug Administration used the findings to urge diet changes. Both said until more research is done, a balanced diet including greens and milk is still recommended. "There are some people out there who eat a tremendous amount of lettuce, and drink a tremendous amount of milk, and they're not all kids, they are women of child-bearing age," Walker said.

"Some of those people might want to think twice about the levels of their consumption of those items, but we certainly aren't recommending that they stop eating them." Why the Virginia milk samples were higher than most others is a mystery. Walker said perchlorate typically ends up in milk when cows eat contaminated alfalfa or drink contaminated water.

Generally high levels of perchlorate were also found in areas that serve, or did serve, as military bases or storage areas, Walker said. In Virginia, government records show perchlorate has been stored at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant and at the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station. It has also been stored at sites in Duffield and Gainesville, records show.

oh yes, think twice about the consumption of lettuce and water. good call. figures they found it in california. lol. ever see those warnings? "this contains substances known to the state of california to cause cancer and birth defects" lol. is that ONLY known by california? it seems like california spends their money on a lot of useless research. however. if they find out how to extract AP from lettuce, i'd love to see a link, it'd be quite a cheap alternative. no hazmat either. woohoo!

This goes along with a story from D.C. a few weeks ago.They found "perchlorate"in the water supply there.They think it may come from an old munitions dump that they've been cleaning up for several years now.I noticed how quick the media is to label this stuff as "rocket fuel" yet they never actually say which type of "perchlorate" it is.Ammonium?Potasium?Calcium?Lithium?Sodium?

well, most perchlorates are great in pyrotechnics. and can be suitable for rocket propellent. but even AP shouldnt be labeled as rocket fuel. it should be labeled as AP, lol. its the oxidiser. when heated it can DDT by itself, but thats not preferrable in a rocket fuel. ahh, i just love the media. this is why misinformed lawmakers decide to ban rocketry. because of the wow effect of the media. they blow everything out of proportion when they dont have anything else to talk about.

Perchlorates were discussed earlier this year in this thread. Basically, they single out rocket fuel because they want to make it sound like science is killing us all and we need to go back to living in caves and being hunter-gatherers. In actuality, perchlorates are all over the place. Heck, we used 'em in my high school chemistry class!

WW

well, i would hope your HS class would use perchlorates instead of chlorates. lol. what do you guys do with them? we never had access to stuff like that in my HS, but my college lab has all the goodies.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember what we used them for. I just remember TA-ing for the teacher and having to mix up batches of Potassium Perchlorate and Ammonium Perchlorate, and of course, everyone's favorite, Perchloric Acid! (Not pure, mind you - rather diluted)

WW

muhahahaha, a teachers attempt at enslaving youth individuals to mix batches of high explosives in order to carry out his devious plot to CONQUER THE WORLD(echo, echo, echo)

so basically the fact that its used for rocket fuel has no vague small tiny little fraction of the fact of why it is in the foods, yet they need to mention it...

mhhm...

soon were gonna hear reports "rocket cows fly over virginia, the propulsion coming from a cluster of udders"

What we gonna do tonight, Brain?
The same thing we do every night, Pinky: Try to take over the WORLD!

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Gee Brain, I think so, but why do we need a rocket if a cow can jump over the moon without one?

Originally posted by sandman
THAT was my favorite cartoon...after Bullwinkle!

I grew up on Mooooose and Squeeerel. My mom had the complete collection on video!

When I went back and watched them after I had been away for a while in college, I realized that there was some very mature humor in there as well, that we kids never caught.

Now I'm beginning to understand a bit more about your sense of humor!

WW

Originally posted by rabidsheeep

soon were gonna hear reports "rocket cows fly over virginia, the propulsion coming from a cluster of udders"

That's "udderly" ridiculous...:D

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Pinky?"
"I think so Brain, but where are we gonna find rubber pants in our size?"

Didn't they have a report almost exactly like this about 6 months ago?

Back