Got my Level 1, whats next?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jus_rockets

Reaction score
Well I just got my Level 1 certification this past saturday. It was on a LOC Tweed B on a AT H128W, perfect flight and awesome recovery it landed about 50 feet from my pad. So what should I do next move up quickly to Level 2 or stay Level 1 and fly more H- I powered rockets? I want to move up to Level 2 for the challenge but on the other side I want to have fun flying rockets. Let me know your opinion and tips/ suggestions if I were to decide to move up to Level 2. Here are some pics of the flight:

IMG_0404.jpg

89f0fcd5.jpg

7d3f01c5.jpg

2ccce55d.jpg

Isn't the challenge of getting level 2 part of the fun of flying rockets? Win-win. Nobody says that you can't fly your level 1 rocket again as a warmup before going for level 2.

So what should I do next move up quickly to Level 2 or stay Level 1 and fly more H- I powered rockets?

Heh...That's up to you. Do you have the financial resources to fly J+ motors? Would that make the hobby more enjoyable for you? Then yes, by all means get a L2. If not, then don't. I know a lot of people that are perfectly content to stay at L1 even though with their experience and knowledge they could easily get an L3. Me personally, I don't really have the desire to spend $200+ per flight to fly L3 motors on a regular basis so at the moment an L3 is not in the cards.

Don't look at the certification process as levels of achievement (a.k.a. merit badges) but merely steps it takes to make the hobby fun. Ask yourself...what would it take to make the hobby more fun?

-Dave

What you should do is have fun -- fly what makes you happy.

Don't get hung up on certification levels. Instead, find rockets that are within your budget and within your interest, and fly accordingly. Don't rush -- take the time to enjoy what you're doing, and enjoy the people you're doing it with.

-Kevin

What you should do is have fun -- fly what makes you happy.

Don't get hung up on certification levels. Instead, find rockets that are within your budget and within your interest, and fly accordingly. Don't rush -- take the time to enjoy what you're doing, and enjoy the people you're doing it with.

-Kevin

I think this is the best way to put it. I am seeing certification levels as barriers I want to beat. I am just going the get a rocket that I can fly on H-J so when the time comes, I can fly it on a J.

I agree with what was said here so far.

Just go with what feels right to you at the time. I had my L1 and was dead set on a quick L2, but it ended up being almost a year (to the day) later that I did get my L2.

I realized that there was no real rush to get the cert, just to get the cert. I had started building bigger than I motors would allow, so I bought my K, and decided on a launch date. The launch was successful, and I flew a few more L2 motors that weekend. I was looking to let my larger rockets "stretch their legs" so to speak.

Build rockets that you can have fun with, and remember that you can always adapt down :grin:

This always reminds me of the parable of the old and young bull at the top of the hill over a field of cows. The young bull says to the old, let's run down there and have our way with one of those cows. The old bull turns to the young and says, no son, lets walk down there and do them all. (watered down for public consumption)

Point is, take your time and enjoy all the different aspects of level one. You could build some really cool projects that all stay within L1, clusters, air starts, stages, dual deploy, scale, fantasy, odd rock...the list goes on and on. I got my L1 almost exactly a year ago and I haven't even scratched the surface. I am building a rocket capable of a J motor and I very well may fly it with a J sometime this summer but it isn't with the idea of getting a L2. The idea of the rocket is to fly a dual deploy rocket that can bust mach. Anyway, why run when you can walk?

I think this is the best way to put it. I am seeing certification levels as barriers I want to beat. I am just going the get a rocket that I can fly on H-J so when the time comes, I can fly it on a J.

That is just what I would NOT recommend! If you do that, it will probably be a rocket that pushes 4,000 ft or more on a J, and you'll only fly a J in it rarely when the conditions are right. You'll have your cert, but you really won't have a L2 rocket to fly.

I would suggest you wait until you decide what you want your L2 rocket to do, hi-pro altitude, low & slow on big motors, Mach buster, etc. Once you decide on that, design and build a rocket to do what you want it to. For a L2, I would recommend a 54mm MMT if you want to fly J & K mostly, or a 75mm MMT if K through L is what you're looking for. Either way, build a L2 rocket to cert on, then you'll have a L2 rocket to fly afterwords.

That is just what I would NOT recommend! If you do that, it will probably be a rocket that pushes 4,000 ft or more on a J, and you'll only fly a J in it rarely when the conditions are right. You'll have your cert, but you really won't have a L2 rocket to fly.

I would suggest you wait until you decide what you want your L2 rocket to do, hi-pro altitude, low & slow on big motors, Mach buster, etc. Once you decide on that, design and build a rocket to do what you want it to. For a L2, I would recommend a 54mm MMT if you want to fly J & K mostly, or a 75mm MMT if K through L is what you're looking for. Either way, build a L2 rocket to cert on, then you'll have a L2 rocket to fly afterwords.

I would tend to agree with this, if you only ever plan to have a single Level 2 rocket to fly. I'm betting you'll probably build more than one. Me, I have a DarkStar 4 that will fly single deploy on medium I motors, or in dual deploy on anything from larger I's up to the larger range of 54 mm K's. The same is true for my 54mm min diameter Mariah. I can launch on a 38mm motor with an adapter, or make it disappear on a good sized J.

I did my level 1 and level 2 certs almost exactly a year apart with only a few high power flights in between. Why? Because that's what I wanted to do, and that really is the bottom line. As Troj said, be safe, do what makes you happy.

I certified L1 last year about this time. Since then I have really enjoyed flying mid-power rockets. Sure, I try to fly a couple of H motors every time I go to a launch, but have yet to fly an I. My next big goal is to build a dual deploy altimeter and fly in in my HPR "Duke Nukem". Once I have done that, then I will fly it on a long burn AT I59 or CTI H100 IMAX. Enjoy the trip Juan, you have several rockets that are great fun to fly on G's, learn with them, it's much less expensive to make a mistake on a smaller rocket. I don't think many realize that each letter we move up gives us access to TWICE THE POWER the previous class of motor had. Hope you learned something from that H250 I built for you, I know I sure did. :y:
I'm a goal oriented person, but my goals are building rockets that do something I haven't achieved yet, not the next certification. When I run out of new ideas for rockets that fly on H and I motors, maybe then I will step up to bigger motors.

Funny, I got my L1 in October and did my first dual deploy a month later, Since then Ive done alot of building but not much flying due to circumstances.I have it in my head
to get L2 for LDRS in July and am building a Talon 4 to do it. I started studying the Tripoli mock tests and man I need to study alot more. Also its ifffy if I get my rocket gets completed in time.
I can start to feel the stress. This is not what rocketry is all about, I started into this hobby to relieve stress.So if Im ready in time great but I will not rush my rocket or prepare hap hazzardly for my
L2 due to time. If my progress is in question in the next few weeks I may just enjoy flying my H and I motors at LDRS. Besides I just finished a Talon 3 that loves I engines.

Enjoy it for a while! 'Play' around some with the 'H' and 'I' motors..Get a couple of dual deploy flights under your belt..At the same time look over the question pool for the L2 test. Don't do any 'hardcore' studying, just go thru it some get the gist of it, ask questions of your fellow flyers and a lot of times the answers will stick with you for when you do take the test..Above all else, enjoy the "cheapness" of L1 motors, cause once you get to L2 that will probably be all you will want to fly then!:roll:

BUT, REALLY, the most important thing to do is have fun! Go for your L2 when YOU want to..

All of this has been said already, but I'll chime in anyway... IMO, you should look at your progression to Level II in 3 steps...

1.Level 1: Good Choice with the LOC Tweed B - congrats on your cert!
2.Dual Deploy: Now that you have your Level I, experiment with dual deployment on H and I motors. The LOC Fantom EXL is perfect. Or you can go with a smaller diameter for higher Altitudes (i.e. Hi Tech or FORTE with optional AV bay).
3.Level II: Once you have 3-4 kits under your belt and a high level of confidence in Dual Deploy, step up to 54mm level II. There are many kits available.

I don't suggest you rush the process. You will learn something new every time you build and launch a High Power kit. Have fun with it and you will gain valuable experience along the way.

Well I just got my Level 1 certification this past saturday. It was on a LOC Tweed B on a AT H128W, perfect flight and awesome recovery it landed about 50 feet from my pad. So what should I do next move up quickly to Level 2 or stay Level 1 and fly more H- I powered rockets? I want to move up to Level 2 for the challenge but on the other side I want to have fun flying rockets. Let me know your opinion and tips/ suggestions if I were to decide to move up to Level 2. Here are some pics of the flight:

Congrats on the cert!! As for the future, what do YOU want to do? Are you happy/interested in flying H/I motors for awhile? You do seem interested in the challenge, which was my incentive for starting on a big L2 rocket (LOC Bruiser) immediately after my L1 cert. The L1 was just a stopping point on my goal of flying big, fat, loud rockets. My L2 flight attempt would have been last Saturday but there is a burn ban in much of Florida now due to a drought, so no joy there (yet). Fingers crossed for next month!
Getting my L1 was very easy, took longer to build my Mad Cow Phoenix than the typical mid-power kit that can be assembled in an evening, but it was not much of a challenge. My personal goals for building my skills on the L2 were to practice all the advanced techniques I had learned on this forum and from other internet sources. In doing so, I believe I built a successful rocket. I'll know soon when I launch it!! These techniques consisted of:

(1) Fiber glassing the air frame - learned all about epoxies, fiberglass weight, and teflon release paper.
(2) Tip to tip fiberglass - watched lots of tutorials.
(3) Finishing techniques - bondo, fillers, high fill primer, paints, and Future/Simple green for a clear coat.

The L2 rocket did give me a good challenge, and I learned alot. I've since started on an Binder Design's Excel kit with dual deploy so I can challenge myself with learning and mastering the electronics.

Once I get my L2, I'll have more opportunities/options at my disposal. I still enjoy flying mid-power regularly at the local park. My G-Force gets to ride a white lightning about once a month. But I can also go to club launches and send my Mad Cow up on a "H" or an "I" motor. And hopefully soon I'll get my Bruiser up in the air on a J350. There certainly aren't any negatives with an L2!! Just make sure you are having fun along the way.

As others have mentioned, the costs go WAY up at the L3 level, which is why I'm probably going to happily stop at an L2 and just have fun...... Could I get an L3? Probably. But I personally have no need or interest. Sounds like you are eye balling an L2, so go for it!!!

I'll pretty much echo most of the posters here - do what you want. But for me, H isn't really any different than G and so L1 stuff just doesn't add much to the hobby. I can use the same exact build techniques I've been using for years on mid-power and do L1 stuff all day. Hell, I can even use the same exact mid-power rockets and do L1 stuff.

L2 is a different animal. When you are trying to harness the power of a J+, you may have to rethink some things. And, for me, L2 launches are just so much more impressive. They still give me that feeling of "awesome" that I had as a kid sending C engines to 1500 ft.

And, don't worry about the test. It honestly has to be one of the easiest tests I've ever taken. Read through the answers once or twice and you should be good to go. You probably already know all of it anyway. The only other test I know of where you get all the questions and answers ahead of time is the driving test. That's really all this is. Do you know how to read and can you memorize a few basic answers? If so, you will pass easily.

As to L3, I don't think it adds much except cost. For me, the rate of return on this hobby diminishes pretty substantially in L3 and I'd much rather spend my time/money on other things. Some day I might change my mind on that, but I'm confident I will have moved on to amateur rocketry long before that happens.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions/ suggestions/ and tips. I have about 3 months before my next launch, and have a couple of H and I still need to fly. So the plan is to fly my Minie Magg on H and I's and I ordered a Formula 98 which will fly single deploy on a J350 if everything goes as planned. I will be taking the test, since you can take it and its good for one year I believe. The Formula 98 was a gift from my girlfriend for my 22nd B-day so I guess we will give it a try. I will also be ordering a Formula 54 or fiberglass Nike smoke to fly on H-I motors. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in

Awesome advise so far. I second the reply that even though a level 1 and 2 certification rocket is theoretically possible, it might not be practical. I launched my PML Ariel for both my level one and two certification. On a J350 it went approximately 1 mile up and drifted over 2 miles!!!

Personally, I got my Level 2 certification so I could launch EX.

I'll pretty much echo most of the posters here - do what you want. But for me, H isn't really any different than G and so L1 stuff just doesn't add much to the hobby. I can use the same exact build techniques I've been using for years on mid-power and do L1 stuff all day. Hell, I can even use the same exact mid-power rockets and do L1 stuff.

L2 is a different animal. When you are trying to harness the power of a J+, you may have to rethink some things. And, for me, L2 launches are just so much more impressive. They still give me that feeling of "awesome" that I had as a kid sending C engines to 1500 ft.

And, don't worry about the test. It honestly has to be one of the easiest tests I've ever taken. Read through the answers once or twice and you should be good to go. You probably already know all of it anyway. The only other test I know of where you get all the questions and answers ahead of time is the driving test. That's really all this is. Do you know how to read and can you memorize a few basic answers? If so, you will pass easily.

As to L3, I don't think it adds much except cost. For me, the rate of return on this hobby diminishes pretty substantially in L3 and I'd much rather spend my time/money on other things. Some day I might change my mind on that, but I'm confident I will have moved on to amateur rocketry long before that happens.
This is Amateur Rocketry, also sometimes called non-professional rocketry.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions/ suggestions/ and tips. I have about 3 months before my next launch, and have a couple of H and I still need to fly. So the plan is to fly my Minie Magg on H and I's and I ordered a Formula 98 which will fly single deploy on a J350 if everything goes as planned. I will be taking the test, since you can take it and its good for one year I believe. The Formula 98 was a gift from my girlfriend for my 22nd B-day so I guess we will give it a try. I will also be ordering a Formula 54 or fiberglass Nike smoke to fly on H-I motors. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in
Yes fly a few more and maybe built another kit or two as cost state cost go up and up.....which is why I am still in models A-D engines. Enjoy the Ride or should I say FLIGHTS!

My advice, dont get in a hurry. A level 1 rating opens the door to doing alot. Work on your build skills, make some scratch builds. Perfect your techniques. With level 1 motors you can get your mistakes out of the way with out breaking your budget. Want to stress your design? H999 warp 9 motors will put more stress on your rockets then most level 2 motors at a much lower price. I have a dual deploy 38 mm minimum diameter rocket with tracker that pulls 100 Gs on take off. When you can consistently fly level one then think about level 2. I have seen too many people with ratings that exceed their skills.....

This is a great necro thread, it really shows how different people progress through high power flying.
Check out my post #11, I took the long view and am still in the hobby. It took me another year to build my L2 rocket, a 54mm minimum diameter scratch build, and I STILL fly "Duke Nukem" (my L1 rocket) on I59's. This weekend, I will fly at least 10 LPR Estes rockets, several MPR and HPR rockets including my L3 rocket "Red Tailed Extreme".
The joy for me has always been flying rockets, regardless of how big the motor is. There are so many things you can do with each level in rocketry, you really don't need to get the next cert. to enjoy where you are.
On a side note, the OP Jusrockets, got out of the hobby several years ago, and was a personal friend. Sharon and I still fly several of his rockets on a regular basis.

Like so many others we have seen come and go, he got to L2 and realized how much it cost to climb the ladder to bigger motors. He met a wonderful girl that distracted him and sold most of his stuff to us. Last we saw of him was a couple of years ago when he came out to the launch with his quad to play in the desert. Looks like he just changed hobbies.
I think that most people who race through the levels end up blowing out.

Like so many others we have seen come and go, he got to L2 and realized how much it cost to climb the ladder to bigger motors. He met a wonderful girl that distracted him and sold most of his stuff to us. Last we saw of him was a couple of years ago when he came out to the launch with his quad to play in the desert. Looks like he just changed hobbies.
I think that most people who race through the levels end up blowing out.

And so, it ends . . .

Dave F.

Congratulations on your L1 cert
My two cents would be enjoy each step of the journey fly some H and I”s enjoy some new builds keep the hunt for your level 2 bird and take your time building the level 2 bird and when the moments right go for L2. I totally understand the desire to want to climb the ladder but we must remember the journey along the way is something special

I was a fast learner and wanted to fly big rockets on what was at the time a very popular motor, AMW M-2200 skid. Hung around L-1 for almost a year and did DD with several to learn. Got my L-2 went right to L-3 on a 6in glass tank. [2004]But unlike many, I have flown that L-3 rocket 23 times. 11 of which were on M-2200 skids,perfect for that rocket and lower waivers.Would go 62-6400ft.

Flew many large projects and settled down to my favorite sizes... 54mm minimum. 3in airframes and 4 in sizes in single and staged sizes.

Simply find what interests you the most and have fund. Skies the limit ....literally . U can always find some venue to hold your interest no matter what your budget.
I fly everything from micro-max to M's and occasionally a N. :cool:

Back