Got my L2 Cert Today!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
If I wasn't hooked, I am now!!
Launched my 4" Tomach on a 54mm motor instead of a 75 for my L2 because I'm a firm believer of low and slow for cert flights... Kind of. :)
I flew a CTI K650-15. Motor eject drogue and deployed my main at 1200ft. Again, just giving it extra room to open just in case.
My predictions from OR were 1000ft. shy. It Predicted 5664 and I ended up and 6756. Hit 535mph with a max acceleration of 12.08G's.
Everything went off without a hitch and was a gorgeous flight. It seemed like it would never stop flying since it was a 3 second burn.
Here are a couple pictures. Better ones to follow after the club photographer posts some. (If he got them of my rocket at least.) :)
Posting a video to Youtube shortly.

IMAG0145.jpg

L2 liftoff .jpg

Hey, don't know too many people who would apologize for a K650 for an L2! Way to go!

If I wasn't hooked, I am now!!
Launched my 4" Tomach on a 54mm motor instead of a 75 for my L2 because I'm a firm believer of low and slow for cert flights... Kind of. :)
I flew a CTI K650-15. Motor eject drogue and deployed my main at 1200ft. Again, just giving it extra room to open just in case.
My predictions from OR were 1000ft. shy. It Predicted 5664 and I ended up and 6756. Hit 535mph with a max acceleration of 12.08G's.
Everything went off without a hitch and was a gorgeous flight. It seemed like it would never stop flying since it was a 3 second burn.
Here are a couple pictures. Better ones to follow after the club photographer posts some. (If he got them of my rocket at least.) :)
Posting a video to Youtube shortly.

Well done.Way to go!
Now...get that credit card ready. LOL

Thanks everyone!
For sure. I'm planning on my L3 within the next couple years. I want to build a few more HPR rockets before I do my L3.
This was only my second HPR build ever. I just want some more experience.
My next build is probably going to be a 54mm MD Blackhawk from Wildman.

Thanks everyone!
For sure. I'm planning on my L3 within the next couple years. I want to build a few more HPR rockets before I do my L3.
This was only my second HPR build ever. I just want some more experience.
My next build is probably going to be a 54mm MD Blackhawk from Wildman.

Don't plan too rigidly. I planned to do a scratch built for my L3 a couple years after my L2, it ended up being 6 years later and then only because I got a great deal on a L3 kit and the next years LDRS34 was going to be near. You'll find there are so many things you can do with L2. When you start flying that huge range of motor power in J to L, it just opens so many possibilities. Just have fun!

That's super, doing it on a K! Your hard work paid off big, congrats.

Nice flight, and stats !

A few of my friends built L3 rockets just like your L2 rockets .. So you definetely have the capability with this flight streaking over a mile up and utilizing electronics for deployment.

Now you get to find out if you are an altitude junkie, speed demon, or long burn fan as you pick your next flights.

Kenny

Congrats
But 6700+ feet is low?! Lol. When you decide to go high be sure to have a camera attached to get a good picture of ISS as you blow by. Lol.
Good job though. I'm planning a much more mellow lvl 2.

A big congrats on those level 2's..
Don't rush on,, enjoy the times and flights now..

Teddy

Ken, I'll be experimenting over the next few months with it.
I'm already planning my next build. :) 54mm Blackhawk from Wildman.
6700 ft. Is certainly not low, but due to my limited selection of motors I was close to a mile high anyway. So I said screw it and went all out. ��
I'm definitely be taking my time before I attempt my L3. Thanks for the support badhawk!

Don't plan too rigidly. I planned to do a scratch built for my L3 a couple years after my L2, it ended up being 6 years later and then only because I got a great deal on a L3 kit and the next years LDRS34 was going to be near. You'll find there are so many things you can do with L2. When you start flying that huge range of motor power in J to L, it just opens so many possibilities. Just have fun!

Yep...things happen.
I was on a roll....then the ATF thing came down and you had to have a LEUP and storage - I couldn't locate any shared storage and vendors tightened up sales to non LEUP people.
That put me off my schedule while the lawsuit went on for years.
I started clustering and staging G motors, doing some scratch building.

Actually, I got into it. Then we had that little Aerotech problem, forced me to reinvest and diversify hardware to Cessaroni, again, not a bad thing.

There are many directions to go , not just the next biggest motor.

Ken, I'll be experimenting over the next few months with it.
I'm already planning my next build. :) 54mm Blackhawk from Wildman.
6700 ft. Is certainly not low, but due to my limited selection of motors I was close to a mile high anyway. So I said screw it and went all out. 😊
I'm definitely be taking my time before I attempt my L3. Thanks for the support badhawk!

GMTA , I have one of those in my build pile also.

Wayco got big altitude with his .. So looking forward to the 'go for it flight' for it.

Kenny

Piling on with the others, congrats! Your wallet will never forgive you!

Congrats on the L2 - love the K650 motor! That is definitely L2 in style - over a mile, very cool

Back