Got my Fake-Wulf to fly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e42

Reaction score
I finally got my Fake-Wulf to glide. Let me give you a bit of history, back in July 2007 I bought, built, and first tried to fly the Fake-Wulf. There is a tread in the TRF archive the can be found here. I followed Scott’s recommendation of added nose weight to the front of the glider at the next club launch in the following month. The results were a tight spiral as in the first launches. I tried using tabs and clay at different spots in the rocket but the glider would either dive or fly for about 10 feet the roll-over, flutter, and go back into a glide (while it was kind of cool looking, it was not what I wanted). The strange part was that I could get a hand toss glide to work fairly well. I thought that I must have done something wrong in the building process and seriously thought about buying another to try again. Before I could do that I ended up moving across country and all the rockets went into boxes.

Now fast forward to last week. As I was getting ready to attend a launch hosted by Oregon Rocketry Enthusiasts Organization (OREO), I was digging through the rockets (I finally have them all unpacked) looking for something unique to launch when I saw the Fake-Wulf and decided to give it another go. At the field (a cut wheat field on a farm with some really hard ground) I tried a couple of hand glides and everything seemed to be OK. My memory of past flight was that it would inevitably roll over to the right so I decided to put a small amount of clay on the left wing. I have tried this in the past but this time I put it on the trailing end of the wing and not out at the tip. This did not change the hand glide so I decided to launch. I loaded it with a B6-2. With camera in hand I waited for the LCO to push the button. At ignition, it rose straight up as it always had before. The ejection separated the pod from the glider and then the most wonderful thing happened, the glider started flying in a slow and majestic flight. With the clay on the left wing, it flew in a large arcing circle. I was so awe struck by the flight that forgot to take any pictures of it flying. I did click a one with it on the launch pad. I had played to launch it again later in the day but the winds picked up and I didn’t want to press my luck after breaking fins on my Deuce’s Wild, Praetor-II (Praetor landed safely) and my MRS Rogue (not to mention another melted/deformed nosecone).

--- Ron

Fake_wulf.JPG

WAY COOL:cheers::wave: ALMOST DONE WITH MINE WILL POST MY ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE READ GOOD AND BAD ABOUT FLIGHT OF THIS KIT WILL WILL TRY AND DOES ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT A V1 I THOUGHT I SAW A KIT?
THANKS

Easy on the caps, there... ;)

You want a good and bad V1? I wasn't aware there was a problem with the V1... What?

am I missing something? ;)

Back