Got Goony

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtomko

Reaction score
Here's my Missile Toe clone finished. Decals and fin patterns from Excelsior. I used black pinstriping decal for the bandage lines. This was the only Goonybird I had when I was a kid. My kids think it's hysterical.
Drew Tomko

Here's a full side view. It's not bashed from a Baby Bertha; I had the parts from an assortment. Mini engine powered like the original.
DT

That is one nice looking GOONY!! :D

And your kids are right, it is Hysterical.

What the heck was ESTES thinking?

Phred

Darn it Drew!
Now I've got another Goony to Downscale:D
I'd forgotten how funny the Missile Toe was..... It'll make a great addtition to the Micro-Maxx fleet:D Thanks for reminding me

The Goonybirds are just crying to be downscaled! I'm trying to imagine an Estes design meeting when someone hauled plans for these things out! Then again, who knows how designs were worked on/proposed back in the 70s. I also liked the fact that they came in boxes instead of bags back then.
DT

I'm trying to imagine an Estes design meeting when someone hauled plans for these things out! Then again, who knows how designs were worked on/proposed back in the 70s

Let me see if I can picture it? The 70's huh?

Lots of long hair...lots of polyester..a bunch of guys sitting around a low table (that used to be a big wire spool!), bags of munchies everywhere...and a really big cloud of smoke!

Everybody starts their comments with "WOW, man!"

:rolleyes:

Oh yes, I believe you have it Sandman....

"Like Man, we have to figure out a way to free model rockets from the clutches of the Fascist reactionary Military collective mindset. Pass me the Doritos Man"

5 Minutes later....

"Heavy man..... ummm.... how about bunnies and fish? Like EVERYBODY likes bunnies and fish.... "
:rolleyes:

PH

"Heavy man..... ummm.... how about bunnies and fish? Like EVERYBODY likes bunnies and fish.... "

. . . and toes! Everybody digs toes.

DT

"Like hey man, get another bag of chips man...."

(shuffle, shuffle....)

"Ow, I stubbed my toe!!"

"Heavy.... Like I just had the most brilliant idea....make a rocket that looks like a stubbed toe!!!"

PH

Of course we don't have to speculate on the inspiration for a bloodshot eyeball!
DT

"Dude!! Its my Mom, quick, Open the windows an give me the Visene!!" ;)

"Dude!! Its my Mom, quick, Open the windows an give me the Visene!!"

Oh man! I just fell out of my chair at work! Boy does that bring back memories! Blurry ones!

(Apologies to all the members too young to have "experienced" growing up in the late 60s and 70s!)
DT

You guys are crazy. In a good way, but crazy!!! I remember on a tour of Estes in 1980 I commented on a couple of the goonybirds. The lady who was leading the tour explained that it was Estes attempt at making rockets more "friendly". Rockets were being associated with war and this was a shot at making them more "cute". I guess that went over well! Anyway, GREAT CLONE!!! I finally completed my collection of Goonybirds with a Sky Shriek I got off of Ebay last year (I had to pay about 35 times its original price) . My friend and I want to clone all of them in BT-80/D motor form. Hopefully I'll get to that project in this decade!!! Again, GREAT build!!!!

Ooohh Another Goony collector!! My prized GOONY is an original Star Snoop, built by some kid 30 years ago...

The Fatboy makes a GREAT upscale goony base....

Ph

speaking of the early 70's and snack food...

anyone remember those early potato chip bags... the ones that were double bagged?

outside paper bag..printed in color... opening it up revealed two plastic brown smaller bags....

the significance here is that the inner bags were designed to preserve freshness... yah... they were next to impenetrable...

no way in hell you could tear the seal open... attempts at tearing the bags would result in the bag rupturing completely.. spewing chips everywhere....

learnt some of the most colorful words from my dad over those...lol...

I also realized that Doritos are same age as me... introduced in 1966... funny how time flys...lol

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by dtomko
Oh man! I just fell out of my chair at work! Boy does that bring back memories! Blurry ones!

(Apologies to all the members too young to have "experienced" growing up in the late 60s and 70s!)
DT

Flew the Missile Toe this morning. Very nice flight on a 1/2A3-4T. Mini engine powered like the original. Here's the liftoff.
Drew Tomko

Originally posted by dtomko
DT

A clip from the 1999 "Gone in 60 Seconds" is in order.

Det. Hasselbeck: Remember the 70's? Black lights were all the rage back then.

Sidekick: Too young, thank God.

:D

Awesone flight pic!! I have a vintage Missile Toe that I fly myself. This design always get comments... :D

Great model!!

Ph

Back