Got Coins? One of the latest side effects of COVID-19

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Worsaer

Amateur Propulsionist
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So, do you have a jar of coins in the garage, ash tray, laundry room, etc? Apparently coins are stacking up, not being deposited to banks or CoinStar-style machines because people have been either out of work, or staying home due to COVID, and retailers are beginning to feel it.

I recently gathered up all my accumulated coins, and took 12 lbs to redeem at the market. You can buy a six-pack, donate it to a local food bank, or to make this rocketry related, you could buy something from one of our rocketry vendors to help them keep the lights on.

On social media, #getcoinmoving

Here's one of many stories online:

Bill S

Reaction score
Yes. Pity they are making it hard to actually turn in said change. My bank has a coin counting machine up front for customer use, and you get a receipt which you can take to the teller and get cash/deposit, etc. Problem is, even though my area is "open", the banks are only operating drive through lanes, not lobby. And the drive through lanes say no coin transactions to speed things up (which normally would make sense). But it makes it impossible to help out by turning in change to the bank for paper money/deposit.

I refuse to use the Coinstar machines, because they charge one a fee.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Yes. Pity they are making it hard to actually turn in said change. My bank has a coin counting machine up front for customer use, and you get a receipt which you can take to the teller and get cash/deposit, etc. Problem is, even though my area is "open", the banks are only operating drive through lanes, not lobby. And the drive through lanes say no coin transactions to speed things up (which normally would make sense). But it makes it impossible to help out by turning in change to the bank for paper money/deposit.

I refuse to use the Coinstar machines, because they charge one a fee.
One way around the coinstar fees is to get a gift card for Amazon out of it. The machines in my area waive the counting fee if you get the proceeds in Amazon gift code format. I buy a lot on Amazon so this works well for me.

Scott Hala

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used actual cash last night for the time time since early March. I have a "mad money" cup in my bedroom where I put all the change I collect in a day. I haven't added to it in a while. We'll see when I take it in next and what I spend it on. New comics? New Rocket? New Ink?

Alan15578

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the coins piling up, but I have noticed the problem.

My problem is that local grocery stores have stopped taking in bottle and can returns returns. This is only 5 cents a bottle in my state, and they are still collecitng it with the purchase. The first time I tried to return an empty six pack I unexpectedly was greeted with a locked and chained return room.. So naturally I had to bring it inside to the service desk, where they also refused to take the bottles or give a refund. And after more discussion than I could bear with social distancing and all, I had to take the bottles home where they are still stored in my garage. I might add that our city recycling pick up stopped taking glass a couple yeras ago. The thought crossed my mind that I should protest by accidentally breaking the bottles in the grocery store parking lot. Instead, I just stopped buying anything in returnable containers. This lasted for about 3-4 months before I bought some more beer. Now the returnables are starting to pile up in my garage.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I have 3 garbage bags full of cans to return. The wife likes returning them, using the machine. I, personally, like watching the older neighbourhood Chinese couple come around and rake thru our bin for cans! :D

At this point, they are being saved up for the eventual Scouts bottle/ can drive..

I do have some beer bottles, but they are gettgin few & far between (Beer is now almost always in cans, event the good, gooey Microbrew New England IPAs!!)

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Nut
Reaction score
Everything needs to be priced to eliminate change, or round things up automatically and use that amount to eliminate the National Debt, and everybody would contribute equally and not notice any difference in their pockets.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've chosen debit over cash. Cleans things up real nice.

Bill S

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the coins piling up, but I have noticed the problem.

My problem is that local grocery stores have stopped taking in bottle and can returns returns. This is only 5 cents a bottle in my state, and they are still collecitng it with the purchase. The first time I tried to return an empty six pack I unexpectedly was greeted with a locked and chained return room.. So naturally I had to bring it inside to the service desk, where they also refused to take the bottles or give a refund. And after more discussion than I could bear with social distancing and all, I had to take the bottles home where they are still stored in my garage. I might add that our city recycling pick up stopped taking glass a couple yeras ago. The thought crossed my mind that I should protest by accidentally breaking the bottles in the grocery store parking lot. Instead, I just stopped buying anything in returnable containers. This lasted for about 3-4 months before I bought some more beer. Now the returnables are starting to pile up in my garage.
Maybe complain to the state Attorney General's office, saying that the store is collecting the tax for the state, but there is no way to redeem said bottles, which ought to be illegal?

Buckeye

Reaction score
Maybe complain to the state Attorney General's office, saying that the store is collecting the tax for the state, but there is no way to redeem said bottles, which ought to be illegal?
Haha! Fat chance. Read up on Michigan, where deposits are 10 cents. Collection centers were closed for 3 months and something like $70 million went unpaid to the citizens. Centers were finally opened 2 weeks ago, overwhelmed within hours, and promptly closed. It will take 6 months to dig out of the mess.

The AG is a petty authoritarian just like the governor, so they both love screwing the taxpayers.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Haha! Fat chance. Read up on Michigan, where deposits are 10 cents. Collection centers were closed for 3 months and something like $70 million went unpaid to the citizens. Centers were finally opened 2 weeks ago, overwhelmed within hours, and promptly closed. It will take 6 months to dig out of the mess.

The AG is a petty authoritarian just like the governor, so they both love screwing the taxpayers.
The recycling/deposit issue is an inconvenience, but Michigan is looking pretty great in terms of new daily cases, deaths, and hospital loading. The governor took flack for being so hard-assed but she steered the state to a good recovery from the outbreak and saved a lot of lives. There will be time to return the bottles and cans.