Gorilla Rocket Motors Case Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
I got a Gorilla Motor's 54/1400 case a couple of months ago..Haven't had the chance to use it at our last 2 launches, but would like to this upcoming launch..Only thing is I can't seem to figure out how the thrust ring goes on..It is a tightly wound metal disc..I am sure there is a simple way to get it on but so far I am clueless:confused2: If I try to expand the coil I am afraid I will deform it and ruin it,,,What is the proper technique to get this on the casing and into it's groove?

thrust ring.jpg

Those are fun to install....

First, if you don't like scratches on your case, put a couple wraps of masking tape around the end of the case, just below the thrust ring groove. (towards the aft end of the motor)

Stand the case on end, aft end up. With one hand, hold the thrust ring on the aft end of the case. Then, grab the end of the spiral that's on the bottom (towards the thrust ring) and pull it down until the inner tip goes into the groove. Turn the case and work your way around, spiraling the thrust ring into the groove.

You have to deform the ring a little bit to get it in, but it's not much, and it's not for long. It'll pop into the groove and stay there quite nicely.

After that's done, take a look all the way around, and make sure the ring is fully in the groove around the entire circumference. If not, nudge it with a screwdriver until it is -- usually not required, as in my experience, they pop in quite nicely.

Remove the tape, and you're done.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin and Felix! :D

Got the thrust ring on just as it was shown! Tho it did grab a section of tape and take it into the groove with it:rolleyes:..I Removed the ring and then removed the tape and then re-installed the ring! Nary a scratch(that wasn't already there!) on the purty green casing!

Thanks guys!

thrust ring 003.jpg

Its just like putting a key in a ring....
:)

Jim Harris of Gorilla makes awesome
reds, greens and skidmarks, you're gonna love 'em...

Got the thrust ring on just as it was shown! Tho it did grab a section of tape and take it into the groove with it:rolleyes:..I Removed the ring and then removed the tape and then re-installed the ring! Nary a scratch(that wasn't already there!) on the purty green casing!

Excellent!

But I see one teensy little problem....

That case?

It's too new.

It's too clean.

It hasn't been flown yet! :eek:

:neener:

-Kevin

Excellent!

But I see one teensy little problem....

That case?

It's too new.

It's too clean.

It hasn't been flown yet! :eek:

:neener:

-Kevin

That will be remedied on the 13th! :D Undecided which load...White Cloud, Green Tornado, Red Twister or Black Lightning?:confused2: Guess time to run some simulations in RS!:roll:

Has any kind of cross-compatibility been approved/certified...or even just accepted as safe by all users...between Gorilla & AMW hardware & reloads?

I thought all the dimensions & parts were identically sized to the point that as long as the proper nozzle is used (AMW for AMW loads/Gorilla for Gorilla), there was no difference in the tubes themselves so it's OK to switch.

Has any kind of cross-compatibility been approved/certified...or even just accepted as safe by all users...between Gorilla & AMW hardware & reloads?

I thought all the dimensions & parts were identically sized to the point that as long as the proper nozzle is used (AMW for AMW loads/Gorilla for Gorilla), there was no difference in the tubes themselves so it's OK to switch.

glad you got the ring on, Mine was hard to do, but did it!

Tom told me and Jim at the last launch that there is a very small differance,
Gorilla fit AMW, but not so the other way, with out a little smoothing, this will have to be seen, Heck I'm getting a KBA for the AMW 1400, that will be fun to try out too!:dark:

...if you're using an Aeropack or similar, you might
have to grind a sliver off the thrust ring.

Better to find out and do it now, than on the field...

...if you're using an Aeropack or similar, you might
have to grind a sliver off the thrust ring.

Not unless you have the "older" version of the Aeropack..greater than 4 yrs or so. All of my Aeropack retainers fit all the gorilla casings/thrust rings just fine with no filing. If it fits the AMW, it will fit the Gorilla.

Not unless you have the "older" version of the Aeropack..greater than 4 yrs or so. All of my Aeropack retainers fit all the gorilla casings/thrust rings just fine with no filing. If it fits the AMW, it will fit the Gorilla.

Roger (jadebox) just had to grind down at a recent TTRA launch.
IIRC, it was a recent retainer and a case purchased that morning. Jim
said it was a common occurrence...

Interesting...perhaps there's just enough variance in the thrust ring to cause fitting issues. I've flown Jim's motors in cases from 38mm-75 and have never had an issue with the thrust ring fitting in the retainer.

Brian,

NOT a common occurance at all when using Aeropack retainers. It IS a common occurance when using slimline retainers. I am not positive but I believe that Rogers rocket had some retainer other than an Aeropack on it.

Brian,

NOT a common occurance at all when using Aeropack retainers. It IS a common occurance when using slimline retainers. I am not positive but I believe that Rogers rocket had some retainer other than an Aeropack on it.

Well, in my defense, I've slept since then. ;)

And I did say- "or similar..."

And ISTR, he was using my Aeropack outfitted rocket to test fit, to avoid
messing with his in-process prep while grinding...

Interesting...

I was really expecting to see a buncha "HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST SUCH AN EVIL PRACTICE! IF EACH LOAD/CASING COMBO HASN'T BEEN DULY CERTIFIED, YOU'RE COMMITTING A MORTAL SIN & WILL FOREVER ROAST IN THE FIRE OF HADES" comments.

Of course, I'm all for a reduction of anal retentiveness in this hobby (and life in general)...assuming safety isn't compromised one iota.

Back