Gorilla Motors has been sold

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorillamotors

Reaction score
This is just a notice to everyone concerned that Gorilla Motors has now been sold. I am not at liberty to announced the new owners as of now. I still have some hardware and reloads that can still be sold.

Jim Harris
Gorilla Motors

Will the new owners continue the line? AG71 looks like he's selling out the cases- will they get made again?

Jim- is it someone who's already manufacturing certified rocket motors, or someone else?

This is fantastic new for Mr. Harris and the rocketry community.

Jim,
You made your million dollars of easy money and now giving the same chance to another?

Mark

Jim,

Thanks for your years of service to the rocket community. I have always loved you motors and I still have several I bought from Rocketry Zone when they shut down. At least, I think I bought them from them.

This is just a notice to everyone concerned that Gorilla Motors has now been sold. I am not at liberty to announced the new owners as of now. I still have some hardware and reloads that can still be sold.

Jim Harris
Gorilla Motors

Awsome news Jim !!! . I hope your next endevour goes just as great .

Eric

Great news both for Jim and the community.
Thank you to Jim for the years of service.
Thank you to whomever bought Gorilla - hope to see this flourish again in the future.

Jim... you deserve to treat yourself to a cruise or three ! :)

Jim,
Thanks for making and supplying Gorilla motors to the rocket community.....great stuff. Hope your next endeavors are successful and fun.
I hope "the new guys" continue such a great service and product.

Those of you who haven't flown Gorilla yet, either grab from Jim now (if you still can), or plan on begging the new owner's for, some Black Lightning or longburn White Cloud (I suggest a J450 BL, or K222 WC)........I guarantee you will be impressed. Big time "Oh My!".

peace and rockets,
s6

Does this mean you days of hanging out with us at BALLS are over? Won't be quite the same if you don't at least stop by and say hello. Hope to see you there this fall, if it doesn't get flooded out.

Tony (but not that Tony)

Jim Harris
Gorilla Motors

That's excellent news Jim! Congratulations on the sale mate.

I've got a 38 mm Gorilla case, nozzle, and closures. I tried it once with a Gorilla re-load and an experimental re-load. It was fun. This thread has got me thinking about trying it again. Is it possible to get a Gorilla re-load?

Putting my bet on Binder.

Good guess but not me. From what I was informed, propellant EX numbers are not transferrable, so any new owner would have to pay for classification testing. So if I were going to have to pay for all new testing, I might as well just start from scratch with my own formulas.

I've got a 38 mm Gorilla case, nozzle, and closures. I tried it once with a Gorilla re-load and an experimental re-load. It was fun. This thread has got me thinking about trying it again. Is it possible to get a Gorilla re-load?

Aerotech has KBA loads for the 38/640, if you have that.

Good guess but not me. From what I was informed, propellant EX numbers are not transferrable, so any new owner would have to pay for classification testing. So if I were going to have to pay for all new testing, I might as well just start from scratch with my own formulas.

Then the rocket public would have some really unique and awesome motors.

YES and NO. You can transfer them but the easiest way is to submit the same testing info that I used to get new EX numbers. They do not need new testing data if the formulas are to be the same. Just reapply for new EX numbers. No cost from DOT.

Last edited:
YES and NO. All they have to do is use the same testing info that I used to get my EX numbers. They do not need new testing data if the formulas are to be the same. Just reapply for new EX numbers. No cost from DOT.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Back