Goonyfication of the U.S.S. Odyssey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
All the late Goony chat got me thinking about a Goony of Rokitflite's U.S.S. Odyssey. So I started the "G.S.S. Goonyssey". Consulted with Rokitflite and tweeked a little with Rocksim v8 just to get the look right.

First roamed around the basement to gather the parts for it. Then worked on the engine mount and the main drive engine assemblies. Set those asside to dry then proceeded to cut the fins and rounded the edges.

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

Installed the EM assembly once it was dry enough to handle. Since it only had one large centering ring I used the BT-50 and two CRs (not glued together at this step) to keep the EM as straight as possible. I made sure that the engine lock was on the opposite side of the top fin line. Once the EM was dried I removed the BT-50 and the CRs.

Goonyssey-004.jpg

With two BT50-BT60 centering rings and a 0.3 inches long piece of BT60 I made a ring for the central BT50. Set this aside to dry. The engine mount was dry enought to handle so the fins were installed. Note that I used the "through the wall" tecnique. I had never done this before (from scratch anyway) so I thought it woudl be an opportunity to practice... overkill for a rocket this size but I needed the experience.

On the last pic note the business side of the main drive assembly. Also the central BT50 with a centering ring already glued and the ring previosly made. This ring has not been glued in place waiting for the lower thinner BT with a nose cone. Will be working on that later. There is also the forward BT60 with one of the centrering rings already in place.

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

I had to mod the NC because there would be not place for the parachute. Cut out the end part of the NC. Disassembled one of those fishing snap swivels leaving only the two rings with the ball in the middle, keeping its "swivel" characteristic... :eek: passed half of the swivel through a piece of plastic sheet, turned it 90 degrees clockwise and put on epoxy on that side so it would not come off. Joined the plastic sheet to the NC with Plastruct Plastic Weld and after it was dried, trimmed with a hobby knife and sandpaper. It works great!!!

Goonyssey-005.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice mod. i've done a similiar thing in the past where i've cut the base of a nose cone and then put a spruce bar across the base and then attached a swivel. but you modification is much neater - and probably stronger.

Glued the BT50 to the forward BT60 section leaving the ring loose, it will be glued later. To keep the parts aligned while drying overnight I taped the parts to that Estes yellow tool (do not know the name of it). The ring came in handy in this process.

DSC00122.jpg

Here are the main engine assembly and the forward sections dry fitted together. The Sensor Pod was made from a 2.6 inches long half inch square piece of balsa carved and sanded to shape. All that it needs is the BT80 "mechanism ring". Will be going to the local Hobby Shop to buy them since I need them for another project.

There is supposed to be a reducer on the BT50-BT60 junction. There was one glued to the BT50 at one point but it got messed up and had to remove it. This was good in a way because at this point I have not done the shock cord. Planning to tie a piece of kevlar cord around the BT50 and thread it through a hole on the forward centering ring.

Goonyssey-006.jpg

That is fantastic! And I thought my Goondromeda turned out well. I am truly impressed and am going to have to add this one to my build list.

Once I am done with the assembly I will be modifying the Rocksim file to reflect any changes and adjustments done during construction. It may be missing a few parts on the sim but that is because I am not to good with the software. So if you decide to do one you will have to refer to this thread.

Thanks for the nice comments folks!

EDIT: Not only will I be modifying the Rocksim file, I will be posting it too.

Wow! Your wife may need to take regular vacations and leave you to your rocket building! Very nice and very fast Raul!:D

That is fantastic! And I thought my Goondromeda turned out well. I am truly impressed and am going to have to add this one to my build list.

You can also add to your build list the "Goony Alien Explorer" which is similar to the Andromeda...

Already there. :D:D

Good! But where is the build thread with the pictures?

Well, got a chance to do some more work on the Goonyssey. Tied a kevlar cord around the BT50 and threaded it through the centering ring of the forward BT60. I also added this "anti-zipper" tag on the kevlar cord to protect the BT and wrapped the tag with some masking tape.

To make the lower BT or Tank as it is refered in the original instructions, I rolled a paper tube and fashioned a NC out of a small piece of balsa. I used that green pen as a "mandril" to roll the tube. Glued the NC with yellow glue and covered it with two coats of CA, light sanding between and after coating. Capped the end with a piece of cardstock and white glue. Once dry I covered it with some CA to reinforce the end. Once I glue this to the rocket I plan to reinforce the paper with CA.

I finally glued the front and main engine/drive assembly parts together, taped it to the Estes tool to make sure it stays and dries straight. I placed it over the AC/Heating vent to help the glue dry faster.

The "mechanism ring" will be assembled tomorrow: I am getting the BT80 from my local hobby shop (Scott!!) since I also be needing BT80 for a project.

Oh, wait a minute... I forgot to make the radar assembly :eek: !!! Working on it...

Goonyssey-007.jpg

Goonyssey-008.jpg

The "mechanism ring" will be assembled tomorrow: I am getting the BT80 from my local hobby shop (Scott!!) since I also be needing BT80 for a project.

Sorry... We don't carry rockets or parts anymore... Try Walmart...:eek:

That's awesome! I saw the title of the thread and thought how is he going to pull that off? Really nice work.

Quick update:

Glued the shoulder, the central ring and the lower tank to the Goonyssey. Covered the tank and the shoulder with two coats of CA and a light sanding. The antenna array was made with a toothpick and the central punchout disks of Estes centering rings.

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

Got the BT80 ring glued. Put on some primer to see what needs to be "filled" or "sanded". All it needs now are the details, paint and decals. Nice weekend project. Here are five views of the rocket.

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

Here is the rocksim file for the Goonyssey. I compressed the file and changed the extention to post it here. I used Winrar but had to change the extention to zip. So if you download it change the extention back to rar and it should work.

Before you start using the RS file please read the RS design description for extra tips and details of the parts to be used. You can also refer to one of the first pictures posted where you can find the size and lenght of the BTs.

View attachment USS Odyssey Goony - G.S.S. Goonyssey.zip

Got the BT80 ring glued. Put on some primer to see what needs to be "filled" or "sanded". All it needs now are the details, paint and decals. Nice weekend project. Here are five views of the rocket.

Wow... Months to design, "goonified" in a weekend. It really puts life into perspective doesn't it.

NOW DO IT IN BT-80 SIZE RAUL!!!

Back