Goonifying a Flis favorite

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blades

Reaction score
Fliskits Corona with booster has always struck me as a very elegant design. It was one of my first Flis birds. Consequently, in my determination to Goonify some non-Estes rockets, it was among the first I wanted to try. She came together pretty nicely and with .6 oz of nose weight added, tested stable in single and two-stage configurations.

Corona Goon 1.jpg Corona Goon 2.jpg

Now thats just plain cool.

Any idea of a final color?

Oh man, is that cool! I really love all the artistic ingenuity you managed to cram into that rocket.

Love those Goonies.:)

I LIKE it! Any chance you will make the plans available? I have gotten to fly my Fliskit Corona II only once so far. But your goonie version is way too cool. Do you plan to fly it on B motors?

Chas

Okay, this confirms it, the "Plans" section is going up - yesterday!!! Or as soon as I land this evening.

The color scheme will probably be similar to my regular Corona.
Corona.jpg

As with all my original Goonies, I will have plans available. (Gotta make up some decals for it first, though.) She should fly nicely on a combo of B's, but I'm really looking forward to sending her up on two C's. Since fin breakage on the sustainer really isn't an issue, I have a nice long streamer mounted, instead of a chute.

Is it a Goonie Corona, or a Goonie Tumbleweed:

tumbleweed.jpg

corona.jpg

Fliskits Corona with booster has always struck me as a very elegant design. It was one of my first Flis birds. Consequently, in my determination to Goonify some non-Estes rockets, it was among the first I wanted to try. She came together pretty nicely and with .6 oz of nose weight added, tested stable in single and two-stage configurations.

View attachment 1534 View attachment 1535

You know, I think that this is a sign that Jim Flis has finally "Arrived". His kit designs are being goonified. That's the next best thing to immortality for a kit designer, isn't it? :eek:

Well, in some circles anyway!

Congrats, Jim Flis and thanks to Blades.

N

Very nice Blades, I'm surprised Jim Flis himself has not responded, yet.

That's really nice. What size motor mount did you give the booster?

Looks good Blades, and what a neat idea! Now you've got me thinking: how could I "Goonify" a Borealis, or a Night Whisper...:eek: :D

Mark \\.

Looks good Blades, and what a neat idea! Now you've got me thinking: how could I "Goonify" a Borealis, or a Night Whisper...:eek: :D

Mark \\.

You do that...I'm just going to stick with the simpler stuff.:p

She flies!!!!

Just put her up single stage on a B6-4. Got nice altitude with just the slightest bit of coning in the flight. Next time, I'll try her out with the booster. Should really scoot!

Goon-o-rama

Heck, we ought to be able to post about a hundred pix right off the bat!

Very nice job, Blades, that looks great! (Have you considered hitting up Fliskits for a percentage of their advertising budget, to sort of sponsor this thing?)

Very nice Blades, I'm surprised Jim Flis himself has not responded, yet.

Man, THIS thread grew quick! :)

How kewl is this? I've been so proud of how many FlisKits designs have been upscaled by the HPR folks and now this.

I've actually thought of goonification of some of my kits, but who has the time? Well, YOU GUYS do! :) Can't wait to see what others come up with.

Great job on the Goonie Corona! Keep us posted on the 2-stage flight.

jim

Man, THIS thread grew quick! :)

How kewl is this? I've been so proud of how many FlisKits designs have been upscaled by the HPR folks and now this.

I've actually thought of goonification of some of my kits, but who has the time? Well, YOU GUYS do! :) Can't wait to see what others come up with.

Great job on the Goonie Corona! Keep us posted on the 2-stage flight.

jim

Thanks Jim,
There's a couple more of yours that I have in mind. A Goony Stingray shouldn't be too difficult. :D
Hopefully, by the time I can try a proper two stage flight, I'll actually have her painted. (don't really like to fly'em nekkid, you know) I'll do my best to have some flight pics of her then.

Back