Goonies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
posted these on the old TRF. In order: Xgoon, Vigoon, Goondromeda, Geehawk,
and the Goonflash

DSCF0013 (Medium).JPG

DSCF0015 (Medium).JPG

DSCF0061 (Medium).JPG

geehawk (Large).jpg

fireflash (Large).jpg

Next up are the Goontracer, and the Goonvader. (not to be confused with
goony Darth Vader.) :D

skytracer2 (Large).jpg

Picture 044 (Medium).jpg

These Goonies are all excellent! Mike's Goontracer reminded me of a kitbash contest that our club had in June. We could only use parts from an Estes Sceamin' Mimi kit and had to base it on inspiration we found from an older Estes catalog (1981 I think). I based mine off the Skytracer....

Now back to the Goonies.....

I posted this in another thread, But thought I should post a photo here.

I finished my Orbital Goonieceptor today.

Attachments

• ogc1.jpg
    ogc1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 28
  • gc.jpg
    gc.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 34
This was inspired by the original Estes concept drawings posted a number of months ago. Havn't flown it yet (soon though). If anyone wants a copy of the decals I kept the file I created. I can send it as a JPEG, TIFF or PDF just drop me a line.

goony.jpg

posted these on the old TRF. In order: Xgoon, Vigoon, Goondromeda, Geehawk,
and the Goonflash

I knew I had seen a Goony Viper Before, but could not find it when I went to build mine. Good work Mike. How did you do the nose cone cut on yours?

I used a piece of BT 55, held at the angle I wanted to cut. Drew around it with
a sharpie. The carefully cut with an x-acto saw. I cut an oval piece of
cardstock and worked it into the front of the cut, glued it in.

If you use something other than a Baby Bertha, or roughly equivalent, is it even more goony, or is it something entirely different?

attachment.php

Whatever it is, it's beautiful.

Mikey, how'd you do the n/c on the Viper? That really looks fun!

Mikey, how'd you do the n/c on the Viper? That really looks fun!

The nose cone came out better than I expected. I explianed how I did it in post #54, but I had not finished the Viper yet. The silver strip around the nose, and front of the engine inlets, is chrome mono-kote.

Thanks to Mike Howie for the insperation!

Last edited:
Seeing the Goonlantis in an earlier post, I just had to try one. ;)
Loads of fun. All of those little pieces. It sure took some time.
Almost done.

Next time NARHAMS flies, I may have a just Goonie day.

Goonlantis1.jpg

Goonlantis2.jpg

Way back in the day, the first non-kit rocket I built was a D.O.M. plan from
Estes. My eldest brother was into rocketry in a big way, and I got to play
with his cast offs. When he was finished reading the Estes mag, I took it and
decided to build the Ganymede. I loved that rocket.
Here is my goony interpretation, the Goonymede.:)

Gooniemede.jpg

Way back in the day, the first non-kit rocket I built was a D.O.M. plan from
Estes. My eldest brother was into rocketry in a big way, and I got to play
with his cast offs. When he was finished reading the Estes mag, I took it and
decided to build the Ganymede. I loved that rocket.
Here is my goony interpretation, the Goonymede.:)

Attachments

• Gooniemede.jpg
    Gooniemede.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 29
Seeing the Goonlantis in an earlier post, I just had to try one. ;)
Loads of fun. All of those little pieces. It sure took some time.
Almost done.

Next time NARHAMS flies, I may have a just Goonie day.
+

You've got a good looking Goonlantis there, Mike. If it's at all like mine, it'll fly pretty well too.

Let me know if this message should be moved to a new thread.

I got a call from a well respected/well known rocket person who was asking me on behalf of someone else if I knew of anyone who would be interested in a new-in-the bag Galaxy Guppy (0852) and Zoom Broom (0853). I'll poke around on the web and eBay and see what they have been going for.

If anyone is interested, I can connect you with the connection to the seller. Send me an e-mail or PM.

Anyone know where I can buy 4 or 5 nose cones for the Goonies? The place I would normally buy them from has them bundled with other BT60 cones I am not interested in buying.

-Dave

Would probably be just as cheap to buy Baby Bertha kits..Or do you want the nosecones to be balsa? I bought 6 or 7 BB's on a 'shopping spree/goony fever' I believe from A2Z Hobbies for a little over $5/kit..

Anyone know where I can buy 4 or 5 nose cones for the Goonies? The place I would normally buy them from has them bundled with other BT60 cones I am not interested in buying.

-Dave

BRS hobbies usually stocks the plastic ones for a couple of dollars. You don't have to buy the mixed bag.

Yeah, I know of a couple of places where you can get balsa versions. After you paint them, who will know the difference?

MarkII

Anybody?

I got a call from a well respected/well known rocket person who was asking me on behalf of someone else if I knew of anyone who would be interested in a new-in-the bag Galaxy Guppy (0852) and Zoom Broom (0853). I'll poke around on the web and eBay and see what they have been going for.

If anyone is interested, I can connect you with the connection to the seller. Send me an e-mail or PM.

OK, here is a little bit of additional info:

There is no asking price, the seller worked for Estes for a long, long time and I beleive they recently retired. The request is being passed through Mary Roberts, so if anyone would like to make a serious offer, send Mary an e-mail or call/leave a voice mail message and she will forward the offer.

I will be offline for most of Thursday, so if you e-mail me or PM me looking for the phone number or e-mail address, don't be surprised if I take a while to respond. I will not post them publicly (but the toll free number is well known).

Mine are all steroid cases. (BT-80 upscales.)

Super Star Snoop
013.jpg

Gargantuan Galaxy Guppy
016.jpg

Zoomer Broomer
017.jpg

Mega Missile Toe
012.jpg

Haerus Humongous
014.jpg

Super Sky Shriek
015.jpg

The Star Snoop was my first, way back in 2001 ;-), and has logged 30+ flights. The Cloudhopper, despite the lucky rabbits foot, has to be one of the unluckiest rockets I've ever flown. If you look closely at the picture you can see the damage showing through the new paint. The last flight it just fell from the sky from 50 or so feet when the Kevlar snapped after a perfectly normal flight. The Galaxy Guppy landed in a lake the first time I flew it. The Missile Toe and Zoom Broom are both great designs and equally great performers. You can see how much I like to fly them by how discolored the area at the top of the body tune is. The Sky Shriek is my favorite. If you listen closely you can hear the wind whistline through the strakes as it coasts toward apogee. Very cool.

Last edited:
Back