Goonies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally finished my Nepgoon;

IMG_0076.jpg

There were a couple of snags with the decals and the clear coat. I ordered a set of standard NEPTUNE decals from sticker shock but I hadn't properly estimated how much space the NEPGOON would have for them. They were too big and I had to go back to Sticker Shock for adjustments. Sticker Shock was very accommodating in helping me get what I wanted.

I tried the Krylon UV-resistant matte clear coat for the first time and it frosted the rocket. It was so opaque that I thought it was ruined. At that point I thought I had nothing to lose so I sprayed some Krylon UV-resistant gloss clear coat and crossed my fingers. It resulted in a satin like finished. I do not recommend the Krylon UV-resistant matte clear coat.

I'll post the NEPGOON plans on the Goonie plans thread.

NEPGOON looks good KidSheleen! I don't have luck with clearcoats. I occasionally use Future Floor Finish is an alternative to clear coats. Tough to find the original, since they changed the name and look on labeling. This link has good information on Acrylic coating: https://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html.

I use inexpensive Family Dollar brand Acrylic Floor Finish with good results. The shine is not as good as most clearcoats, however it is a good way to protect the decals and provide overall protection. Foam brushes are a good way to apply the finish. I find light coats work the best, the coating is sort of self leveling, and after some experimenting I am satisfied with the results.

Your NEPGOON turned out great, thanks for the pic. Looking forward to your next Goonie build.

Was there a build thread on this one? Very nice!

If there was, it wasn't mine. I do remember seeing some postings in the gallery which inspired me to build this one. I also have someones .ork file that was converted to a jpg that I used for scaling. I'm not sure where I found that though. Thanks btw.

If there was, it wasn't mine. I do remember seeing some postings in the gallery which inspired me to build this one. I also have someones .ork file that was converted to a jpg that I used for scaling. I'm not sure where I found that though. Thanks btw.
Is the .ork available? I would potentially be very interested in an upscale....

More Oddroc IMO, Goonies are typically personified by kit bashing a Baby Bertha into one of the original Estes Goony rockets or into a Goony version of something like a Cherokee-D (think short, fat, and blunt nose cones).
You have some neat designs there though, it helps showcase the individuality of the scratch builder.

Would these qualify as goony birds?View attachment 317528View attachment 317529View attachment 317530View attachment 317531

Since this is the first time i have ever uploaded and commented here, I am not sure what to do next.

c0c0m0ke
Spaceport Rocketry Association #1115
National Association of Rocketry #101814 SR

Welcome to TRF. Typically, a Goonie bird sports a BNC 60 L or the plastic replacement commonly found on a Big Bertha rocket. They started as a group of squatty rockets and morphed into downscale versions of other models with that 60 L nose cone. Making them a little goofy looking. There's a plethora of images out there to look at. I couldn't find a Goonie section in the gallery, so maybe google up, Estes Goonies in images and you should find a bunch.

No, but IIRC they are full sized fins and decals on a downsized body tube with a baby bertha nosecone.

Back