Goonies sold on eBay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy-2

Reaction score
eBay prices on Goonies. I watched these three over the past week to see what they were bringing...

Sky Shriek $51.99
Cloud Hopper $46.00
Galaxy Guppy $79.53

:eek:

All three went to different buyers. All prices are USD

Item numbers below:

Lucky we have Excelsior for cloning... :p

I just checked them out. I was expecting to find that they were all pre-built, and was surprised to see that they were all unassembled kits. Those prices are just downright nutty!

I grabbed the Cloud Hopper. It is in much better shape than the kit I have.

Actually, these prices were a bit low for unbuilt, bagged Goonies.

Mr Goony: Phred

Strange how back in the day, none of us (or a very few at most) ever realized just how cool the Gooney Birds were!

Well there you go! I'm a "Buy 'em to fly 'em" kinda person, but I like the Goonies for their looks.

Help me out with this; If the Missile Toe is a V1, the Cloud Hopper is an Ohka, the Zoom Broom is a Gee Bee, are the others based on real vehicles?

The Galaxy Guppy is a fishy.:p
Honestly, outside of the Zoom Broom, I never gave a bit of thought to a supposed "secret identity". Interesting.

Originally posted by skippy-2
Well there you go! I'm a "Buy 'em to fly 'em" kinda person, but I like the Goonies for their looks.

Help me out with this; If the Missile Toe is a V1, the Cloud Hopper is an Ohka, the Zoom Broom is a Gee Bee, are the others based on real vehicles?

Hmmmph, I always knew the Zoom Broom was a Gee Bee, but I never realized the V-1/Ohka thing! Thanks for pointing that out!:eek:

Well, that's just the way my brain works.

A bit scary really...;)

I got lucky on ebay some time ago and bought estes parts on Ebay and in there was 5 Goony kits. I have all the parts except the balsa. The nose cones are two piece. Also Astronboy, can you let me know what the thickness of the balsa is. Thanks

I was told by an old ESTES insider that the original Goony designs were a mix of Rat Fink and MAD magazine inspired designs: A fat V-1, a goofy bloated Red Baron. etc. Then along came a new marketing mis-director brought on board by the Damon corp. He took the raw sketched designs and gave them to some 'artist' friend of his who turned the concept into the bunny rabbits and big toes with band-aids.

The Zoom Broom and Sky Shriek came from the Red Baron sketches, and the Missile Toe and Cloud Hopper used elements of the V-1.

The Star Snoop is pretty cool, reminscent of Von Dutch's 'Flying Eye' designs. (Google him, he was a way cool auto pinstriper and artist in the early 1960's).

I know that there are fans of the Galaxy Guppy out there... but I have no idea where this idea came from...

So... a cool idea turned into a marketing failure.

But now we love 'em!

GET GOONY!!

Phred

Originally posted by SCIGS30
I got lucky on ebay some time ago and bought estes parts on Ebay and in there was 5 Goony kits. I have all the parts except the balsa. The nose cones are two piece. Also Astronboy, can you let me know what the thickness of the balsa is. Thanks

I've always used 3/32".

Yep, I just measured a few of my originals with my handy dandy digital micrometer...

3/16" it is!!

Phred

Originally posted by astronboy
Yep, I just measured a few of my originals with my handy dandy digital micrometer...

3/16" it is!!

Phred

3/16"? I was WAY off!
(SOB:() My goonies are INCORRECT CLONES!:p

Hey Phred, Von Dutch and Ed Roth are two of my favorite artists!

Sorry guys... I cannot type... yes, it is of course, 3/32"..

Doh!

Ph

Back